Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM

233 posts, read 303,020 times

Advertisements

What is the most effective way to get rid of rats? I understand cleaning yard, cutting bushes, not feeding birds, not putting pet food out etc and have read all recipes from pepper to dryer sheets to traps and gum pallets. What really works and is it worth it to pay exterminators or DIY works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
What is the most effective way to get rid of rats? I understand cleaning yard, cutting bushes, not feeding birds, not putting pet food out etc and have read all recipes from pepper to dryer sheets to traps and gum pallets. What really works and is it worth it to pay exterminators or DIY works?
Any chance you know someone with a Doberman Pinscher or a mini? Dobermans were bred in part to rat homes, barns and stables in Germany - they are rat killing machines.

I've had good luck with the old school spring loaded rat traps but if you have little kids I'd be leery. I set them about unsprung with peanut butter as bait, let the little buggers get used to the food. After a day or two I spring the trap.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Put the rat bait stations around your exterior and keep them filled. They do a great job. I have been using them for years at my personal and rental properties. Also do your best to seal up any places you can find where rats can get in.

EZ Klean Rodent Bait Station + Fastrac Blox Kit

Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I paid an exterminator, haven't had any issues since. Money well spent.

I also figured out what attracted them onto the property in the first place:
  • An old, rotting shed for them to hide under
  • Rotting daffodil bulbs in the shed that they were apparently eating
  • Birdseed and "fatball" feeders in the yard, garage, and shed
  • Dog food improperly stored in the garage

Once I got an exterminator in, stored the dog food in a metal container that rats couldn't get into, stopped feeding the birds, and tore down the shed...no worries.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Please make sure if you use poison, it won't "second kill", meaning it won't harm another animal that might eat the dying rat. Owls are particularly vulnerable to regular rat poison.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Please make sure if you use poison, it won't "second kill", meaning it won't harm another animal that might eat the dying rat. Owls are particularly vulnerable to regular rat poison.
it is also extremely important to keep other animals from getting to the poison; and the reason I use bait stations because they are locked and the rat has to crawl in to get the bait so other wildlife and domestic pets cannot access the bait. Also the bait is protected from weather in a waterproof container so it won't deteriorate and flow out to nearby soil.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 AM

233 posts, read 303,020 times
Do exterminators come back to empty out traps and dispose dead rodents?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I found an exterminator that sealed, set baits, and came and reset and disposed of rats -- with a $500 one-time charge and a 3-year guarantee -- in the San Fransisco bay area for a house I was rehabbing and then selling (aka "flipping" hate that term, tho).

But here in the DFW area, the same service was quoted to me at $4K. I was shocked!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Mine never even offered, but he did warn me that the rats might stink up the place if they went into the crawlspace, walls, or attic to die. They did, and my house smelled like rotten chicken for a week. Then I had huge flies all over the place for another week. After that, no issues. But yeah, it STANK.

I didn't have any issues with decomposing rat bodies staining the walls or ceilings though, and I DID check thoroughly. I never saw any rat corpses in the attic, but there are probably some in the crawlspace. Didn't check there, don't care.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Seconded.

ETA - I never use rat poison out of respect for other animals. Any animal that eats carrion is in danger of secondary poisoning from poisoned rats - cats, dogs, coyotes, all manner of birds and of course owls as ChristieP mentioned. I realize some positions are much less prone to secondary poisoning - I simply don't trust them enough to take the risk.

Just don't do it.

Last edited by EDS_; 09-23-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: