Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times

Advertisements

Many of the cities that were approached about DART membership opted out because they didn't want to lock up that one cent of sales tax revenue for some distant future service. Look at how long after 1984 it took to get DART to Parker Rd. Prior to that they were promises of bus transportation. But if you look at the growth of Allen, that really wouldn't have made sense for them either.

So a city that had room for a one cent sales tax could either opt in for the promise of future bus and rail, or they could have an election to form a 4A Economic Development Corporation or a 4B Community Development Corporation, or both. And immediately begin using that one cent fully in their city to attract businesses, add infrastructure to attract development or to enhance their city's parks, rec facilities, etc. For example here is the Allen 4B expenditure list for 2014-15 http://tx-allen2.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/6029

I suspect there are a great deal of residents who prefer having that revenue funneled back into those projects rather than DART rail.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM

190 posts, read 288,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Per capita income is higher in Plano. I do think you're right that household income is a bit higher in Allen, but that's only because there are more kids in Plano.
I don't think "household income" means what you think it means. If the per capita income is higher in Plano than Allen but the household income is lower, it probably suggests there are more single ( or single parent ) households in Plano.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Many of the cities that were approached about DART membership opted out because they didn't want to lock up that one cent of sales tax revenue for some distant future service. Look at how long after 1984 it took to get DART to Parker Rd. Prior to that they were promises of bus transportation. But if you look at the growth of Allen, that really wouldn't have made sense for them either.

So a city that had room for a one cent sales tax could either opt in for the promise of future bus and rail, or they could have an election to form a 4A Economic Development Corporation or a 4B Community Development Corporation, or both. And immediately begin using that one cent fully in their city to attract businesses, add infrastructure to attract development or to enhance their city's parks, rec facilities, etc. For example here is the Allen 4B expenditure list for 2014-15 http://tx-allen2.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/6029

I suspect there are a great deal of residents who prefer having that revenue funneled back into those projects rather than DART rail.
DART is terrified that Addison is going to back out of DART BTW.

Big time public transportation here in DFW was a terrible idea then and it will never work very well. We have the most light rail of any area system in the country and it's not nearly enough.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
I don't think "household income" means what you think it means. If the per capita income is higher in Plano than Allen but the household income is lower, it probably suggests there are more single ( or single parent ) households in Plano.
No it doesn't. Household income is the aggregate income for all people at a single address. Per capita income is the aggregate income for the entire city divided by the total population.

For Plano to have a higher per capita income means individuals on average make more in Plano. You have a lot more children in Plano, with a lot of stay at home soccer moms/trophy wives. Allen has more two earner households, which is why they have a slightly higher household income.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
household income is a bit higher in Allen, but that's only because there are more kids in Plano.
Number of children in NO WAY affect the average household income.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 PM

If there are two earners earning $50k each in a household of 2 adults and 6 children - the household income of that house is $100k.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
Number of children in NO WAY affect the average household income.
That's not what I was saying, now is it? HH income is higher in Allen because there are more two earner households, while Plano has more single earner ones because they're raising kids. Got it now?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Per American factfinder from the US Census, which I consider to be the horse's mouth, it breaks down like this for the 09-13 time frame:

Allen: Households Median: $101,636
Households Mean (actual average): $118,329
Family Median: $113,107
Family Mean: $128,584

Plano:Households Median: $82,484
Households Mean (actual average): $107,810
Family Median: $99,662
Family Mean: $123,723

The only significant gap I can see is with the MEDIANS, especially the house hold income. not the mean. So, either the single people in Allen are much more affluent than the singles in Plano, OR Plano is a little top heavy. More than likely, it's the latter. The true average family income difference is less than $5K. It's also an indicator that there's more socioeconomic diversity in Plano, which we already knew, right? For kicks, we could break it down by the three Plano high schools (maybe using zip codes) but...sorry I'm not that much of a nerd. Later!

Last edited by thenewtexan; 09-28-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 02:19 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Per American factfinder from the US Census, which I consider to be the horse's mouth, it breaks down like this for the 09-13 time frame:

Allen: Households Median: $101,636
Households Mean (actual average): $118,329
Family Median: $113,107
Family Mean: $128,584

Plano:Households Median: $82,484
Households Mean (actual average): $107,810
Family Median: $99,662
Family Mean: $123,723

The only significant gap I can see is with the MEDIANS, especially the house hold income. not the mean. So, either the single people in Allen are much more affluent than the singles in Plano, OR Plano is a little top heavy. More than likely, it's the latter. The true average family income difference is less than $5K. It's also an indicator that there's more socioeconomic diversity in Plano, which we already knew, right? For kicks, we could break it down by the three Plano high schools (maybe using zip codes) but...sorry I'm not that much of a nerd. Later!
Bam! Elvis just left the building

Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
If this is the case, then there is something about your home that makes it less valuable than other homes in your neighborhood. In other words, assuming that your home has been similarly exposed to the market and there has been a prudent marketing effort, "it is overpriced".

Bottom line: it is ALWAYS THE PRICE. There is a price point where buyers will be interested in your home. A price where any negative features will be overlooked because the price makes the home worth it. You just have to find it.
Could not agree more. my next door neighbor's home has been on the market for a year! They have dropped the price twice, still no interest. They cannot understand why. I could tell them but I don't want to insult them. The house is very dated, the entire house needs to be painted (the colors are atrocious), the way it is furnished makes it look even worse - the house would show better if they moved all of their furniture out, but still, the house is worth about 100G less than they think its worth. A good realtor would tell them the truth. It's hard to be objective about your own house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas