Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times

Advertisements

Mom or some of the other Dallas natives on the board...

I'm visiting a customer today down in Waxahachie, so I decided to jump on here and see if you guys could give me the lowdown on that area (the name sounds Indian). It's too far away for me to consider moving there, but I figured some of the others here on the board that are looking into moving could benefit from a discussion on this area. It's wide open and far enough away from Dallas proper that it looks safe/clean/nice on the exterior.

When I drove through there last week on my way to Austin, I saw alot of signs for new homes in the sub-150k range, so it appears to be a good starter home market for anyone looking to move south of Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
It's a nice little town. Believe it or not there are a lot of lawyers in Dallas that live down in that area. They like the country feel, less stress than their worklives I guess. They can play farm boy on their days off . But really there are a lot of professionals that work in the downtown Dallas area that live out that way. Of the many that I know of most are natives but like to retain some sense of normalcy away from the city life and choose to live in places like Waxahachie. I've always loved to listen to the newbie newscasters to Dallas pronounce the name , hehehehe, they BUTCHER it. I've got distant family down in the Waxahachie and Ennis areas but have never lived down there. I'd go for Waxahachie over Ennis though. Ennis does have the races if your into that. Hillsboro is not far if you like to shop at the outlet malls. The only downside to living out that way is the commute on I35 YUCK! Well they EVER finish ALL of the road construction on I35 between Dallas and Austin? I don't think so. The amount of freight traffic has exploded on 35 due to NAFTA and I only see it getting worse. Especially w/ the soon to be HUGE development down in the Southern sector of Dallas County.

Oh, but for those of you that choose to live in the Dallas area and want somewhere to get away for the weekend as a couple or a girls weekend, Waxahachie is a great place. Lots of neat B&B's and little shops.

Isn't the haunted catfish restaurant in an old house in Waxahachie? And your that much closer to West, Texas and some kolaches.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 83,528 times
Love the Kolaches in West, Texas. I always stop there on my way to Austin and also on the way back to Dallas. In fact I will stop by this weekend. Also the gas is cheaper too at the gas station.

Like Mom said Waxahachie is a nice area it is just the commute to Dallas is the big negative thing. I go to Austin every other months to visit my parents, yes it is just getting worse and worse. Trying to have my parents move to DFW area. But they still love Austin area, don't blame them though it is just nice and hilly and so much in character.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Waxahachie is Indian. Hatchee means creek. The Waxa part meant cow to one tribe and buffalo or monster to others. Most people just say it means cow creek. that's probably more than you wanted to know, lol.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 99,511 times
Default Waxahachie

I saw the Sports Complex while visiting Waxahachie. Is it open to the public for jogging/ walking when games are not going on or is it locked up? I am having a home built just down the street. Is there a dog park in Waxahachie? Is there any night life in Waxahachie?

Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
asut, how long does it take you to drive to Austin from Dallas?

~ b

Old 11-17-2006, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 83,528 times
It used to take me around 3 hours but now with all the construction and all the trucks it takes at least 3.5 hours. And it is not a pleasant drive though kindof boring. Someone told me that if you take the backroads it is more to see but it might take longer. I have not tried it yet, I might one day.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The only downside to living out that way is the commute on I35 YUCK! Well they EVER finish ALL of the road construction on I35 between Dallas and Austin? I don't think so. The amount of freight traffic has exploded on 35 due to NAFTA and I only see it getting worse. Especially w/ the soon to be HUGE development down in the Southern sector of Dallas County.
Actually I've found the commute from Waxahachie to be fairly low stress, especially when compared to the stretch between Loop 12 on the southside and the DNT.

If there's an accident you will be delayed some, but my best bit of advice is to stay on I-35. Don't be tempted by all the cars bailing for the frontage roads. The stop signs at Bear Creek Rd and Parkerville Rd DOES take longer than just waiting patiently up on 35.

The construction zone does slow things down, but the stretch between Red Oak Rd and Beltline RD isn't too bad, and once you hit Beltline 35 widens to 3 lanes. Just watch out for the Desoto and Lancaster Police.... The limit there is 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas