Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 19,799 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple looking to move to Dallas. We've previously lived in Northern WI and Phoenix, AZ and looking for a change! Here is what we were wondering what you all thought of Dallas on these topics as well as the general feel of the city:

1. We are looking for a low cost of living (We want to pay 600 at the most for an apartment, but cheaper the better!) Pet Friendly (We have a boxer).

2. Lots of culture

3. Lots of local coffee shops with job opportunities, local farmers markets, natural food stores, etc...

4. Lots of beautiful scenery and parks with things to do.

5. How is the traffic?? And the public transportation system?

6. And last but not least, how do YOU like it in Dallas??

Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekel13 View Post
We are a young couple looking to move to Dallas. We've previously lived in Northern WI and Phoenix, AZ and looking for a change! Here is what we were wondering what you all thought of Dallas on these topics as well as the general feel of the city:

1. We are looking for a low cost of living (We want to pay 600 at the most for an apartment, but cheaper the better!) Pet Friendly (We have a boxer).
look somewhere else. You won't find a nice apartment in Dallas for that.

2. Lots of culture
Depends how you define "culture". A lot of people misuse that word on city-data. Dallas's culture closely emulates the greater American culture, so a lot of people don't notice it as standing out.

3. Lots of local coffee shops with job opportunities, local farmers markets, natural food stores, etc...
Again, $600 rental budget won't put you in a nice neighborhood with those amenities.

A lot of people complain about the scenery here. I actually don't mind it. I realize it's not the prettiest place on earth, but there are many beautiful neighborhoods in the city of Dallas. We also have fairly good parks here too.

Traffic here sucks, don't care what anyone says. I don't rely on transit here, but the times I've used it went well.

I like it here a lot. It has many things I like, but your budget is too low to enjoy the city. I don't recommend moving to Dallas unless you double your budget.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
All of this ^^^^^^

Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times
I don't like living in Dallas, but then my favorite part of the country is the Pacific Northwest, so it should be obvious what I dislike about the area.

Dallas is inexpensive for any decent-sized city, but NOT "$600/month apartment" inexpensive.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I don't like living in Dallas, but then my favorite part of the country is the Pacific Northwest, so it should be obvious what I dislike about the area.

Dallas is inexpensive for any decent-sized city, but NOT "$600/month apartment" inexpensive.
You don't live here...

Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 PM

500 posts, read 583,941 times
You will not find any apartment, probably not even a dive apartment, for $600 a month in Dallas.
Rent is HOT right now due to all of the growth. Even brand new places that are currently under construction are being fully rented prior to completion.

Do I like it? No, as a Dallas native, I no longer love living here. It has changed way too much for my liking. I do not care for the "coldness" of Dallas as a whole. Guess the Southern part of me misses the days when complete strangers could chit chat in the grocery store and it was not viewed as "fake". Yes, I am of the generation where strangers passing would smile and say hi and no one was offended. This is just me and my family. Others miles may vary.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,571 times
$600 per month for an apt = Not. Going. To. Happen.

You might look in rural Oklahoma.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekel13 View Post

Can't do that in Dallas. At least nowhere you'd want to live.

Quote:
2. Lots of culture
Depends on how you define "culture." I wouldn't say Dallas is a standout in terms of culture.

Quote:
This isn't Portland. We have some natural food stores, but I wouldn't say there's a big "scene" for it. You'll find the usual suspects here, mostly the troika of Whole Foods/Sprouts/Natural Grocers.

Quote:
We don't have beautiful scenery either. At least not natural beauty.

Quote:
Traffic is terrible. Public transportation is inadequate.

Quote:
Grew up here and can't wait to leave.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM

769 posts, read 783,014 times
I don't understand why some say that $600/month is not going to happen in Dallas. There are plenty of apartments for $600 or less available.
And they are not in a law free Mad Max neighborhood.

And to answer the question: yes, I like living in Dallas.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Do I like it? No, as a Dallas native, I no longer love living here. It has changed way too much for my liking. I do not care for the "coldness" of Dallas as a whole. Guess the Southern part of me misses the days when complete strangers could chit chat in the grocery store and it was not viewed as "fake". Yes, I am of the generation where strangers passing would smile and say hi and no one was offended. This is just me and my family. Others miles may vary.
I agree 1000% with all of this. It has changed here, and IMHO not for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas