Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 AM

111 posts, read 223,934 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm a SWM, no kids, 44 yrs old looking to purchase a home.
Looking no more than $200K.

Cedar Hill/Desoto is close to work, but I have heard that there are areas to stay away from.

What are the good areas of these 2 cities to purchase a home?

I've looked in Grand Prairie, just can't find one in my price range.

ANy help is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 06:16 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
Cedar Hill is fine, especially if you don't have kids and aren't looking for the top-tier school system in North Texas. DeSoto I don't know well.

As for what people have told you, I would take it with a big box o' salt. If they actually know the area, then they're worth listening to. But lots of people dismiss everything south of I-30 as a knee jerk reaction for a variety of reasons but they know little about the area and are just repeating what they've heard. There are a few on here, like Acntx, who know the southern sector well and can offer solid advice.

There's absolutely no reason to suffer through a long commute from Uptown or Plano or Richardson, or wherever else people are telling you to go, when you have viable options close to your workplace in southern Dallas County. Of course, if you're looking for hot nightlife, then Cedar Hill is not exactly the center of the action. Somewhere like North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District (just southwest of downtown Dallas) would put you closer to the center of things without being a hellish commute to Cedar Hill. But if you just want a nice place near work, I would certainly start in Cedar Hill first.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:01 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,011 times
Hello ilzho,

I'll start by saying that you have many good options when it comes to living in the southern suburbs. Cedar Hill and DeSoto are growing, largely middle class suburbs with a number safe, well-maintained neighborhoods. They aren't communities that should be avoided. As is the case throughout much of DFW, housing inventory is much lower than was the case two or three years ago, home prices have increased, and the best properties go fast. That said, even in the current market, there are still nice homes in the area that fall within your desired price range.

I'm more familiar with DeSoto having lived there for 16 years (1990-2006). DeSoto's primary dividing line is Hampton Road, running north/south, splitting the city into nearly equal eastern and western sides. West of Hampton Road is a mix of middle, upper middle, and high end neighborhoods. The east side has more variety, including established neighborhoods, new developments, apartments, and retail along I-35E. In Cedar Hill, the more exclusive areas tend to be found in and around Joe Pool Lake. Elsewhere, there's a mix of neighborhoods similar to what is found in DeSoto.

I would highly recommend visiting each community to see if they have the qualities that appeal to you.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:54 PM

It does help. Thank you.
I'll have to drive around in the areas to see.
I have co-workers who make a blanket statement about how bad/crime is there.
I see homes around $200 that seem nice so I find it hard to believe that the particular area where that home is infiltrated with crime.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 PM

164 posts, read 252,635 times
Your co-workers have probably not spent any time in Cedar Hill or DeSoto. To echo Acntx, they are largely well-maintained middle class neighborhoods. If schools aren't a concern you can get a lot of bang for your buck in those areas. Duncanville and Lancaster are a little more hit or miss, but also have a lot of nice middle-class neighborhoods that you can look at as well. Just do drive-bys of the houses you're interested in and if the neighborhood seems nice, it very likely is.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilzho View Post
It does help. Thank you.
I'll have to drive around in the areas to see.
I have co-workers who make a blanket statement about how bad/crime is there.
I see homes around $200 that seem nice so I find it hard to believe that the particular area where that home is infiltrated with crime.
Cedar Hill and Frisco have identical crime rates. I bet every single one of your ignorant coworkers wouldn't hesitate to recommend you move to Frisco. DeSoto has a higher crime rate but not so high that you should be concerned.

Schools are one thing- Cedar Hill and DeSoto's schools lag the northern suburbs' schools consoderably, so if you wanted top notch schools that would be a legitimate reason to look elsewhere. But for crime & quality of life, they are both valid options. If they work best for your budget and commute, go for it!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:38 AM

Yeah they are pretty ignorant.
I did a drive by of the areas. I'm not concerned......
They seem good enough for me.
Thanks everyone.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 AM

68 posts, read 111,884 times
Neither one are dangerous. Desoto might be "slightly" more rowdy, but thats it. Both safe cities.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,418 times
My aunt and uncle have lived in Cedar Hill for 30 years. They both retired from administration in the schools. Never had a crime issue and when they moved recently, they bought another home in the same area. There are some really nice neighborhoods. I don't know many specific neighborhood names, but I just wanted to cast another positive vote for the area. Their sons, my cousins, are also both college graduates, gainfully employed, and well adjusted individuals despite not attending HP/Southlake/FM/Coppell schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas