Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 10,297 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are currently considering an LD school for one of our children. Does anyone have any experience with The Fairhill School in Dallas? Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
Fairhill is a terrific school for students with ADHD and learning differences ranging from dyslexia to dysgraphia to dyscalculia. The small class sizes and teacher:student ratio are key, and I can speak from personal experience to tell you that these teachers, administrators and staff truly care about these kids. My son has attended Fairhill since 1st grade and has absolutely blossomed. He excels academically, has made wonderful friends, loves playing in the band and going to football games, etc. I highly recommend that you check out Fairhill to see if it is a match for your child. Best of luck!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Our daughter was struggling with school and we were spending a fortune on additional tutors, etc. We made the decision to move her to Fairhill in the 6th Grade and she has flourished there ever since. She is now in the 11th Grade, getting straight A's and planning to attend College and then Vet School. Fairhil has taken a child who was afraid to speak in class and given her the knowledge and confidence to be excited about her future. Fairhill has small class sizes, so the teachers are able to give the students the additional attention that their learning difference requires. It also teaches them that a learning difference is not a bad thing. Everyone at Fairhill has a learning difference of some kind, so no one is made fun of. They embrace each others differences and help each other out. The Fairhill staff knows that children with learning differences also have other areas in which they excel and thee teachers focus on these areas also. The school also offers all kinds of extra-curricular activites, sports, clubs, etc. In fact there are more options at Fairhill than I had in the public high school that I went to. There is a little some extra for everyone. Making the decision to send our daughter to Fairhill was one of the best parenting decisions that we ever made.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 10,297 times
This is such helpful and reassuring information. We are currently in Lovejoy and know our daughter will need a different learning environment in the near future. Fairhill will be a top choice for us. Thank you again for the feedback!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:39 PM

500 posts, read 583,050 times
Our neighbors 3 sons attend Fairhill. All 3 have various levels of aspergers, though high functioning.

They love Fairhill. Believe they have now been going to Fairhill for around 4 years.

One of my husbands secretaries attended Fairhill. She talks highly of her experience.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
It has a good reputation .The only downside of the school in the last 3 years is that it used to be a school labeled and specialized in dislexia , and it is not anymore. Most students right now are mainly children with ADD and other issues associated with it. Your child would need also to fit in a mold , since the school only offered one type of program , it won't accomodate your child. I know too many families whose children were actually refused in the last two years. Some were too advanced ( cannot be gifted , the school doesn't provide advance programs , the math program is very light in general) ,some only had dislexia and it is not addressed anymore , also they tend to not accept children that are not medicamented , even if those children do not need it.
If your child fit the mold and is accepted then you will be very happy and it will be a great experience , but do have a alternative plan just in case it doesn't happen .

Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 AM

32 posts, read 56,197 times
I know you asked about Fairhill but I suggest that you also research The Shelton School. The school sets the standard for LD. People move here from out of state to send their kids to The Shelton School. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:30 PM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
It has a good reputation .The only downside of the school in the last 3 years is that it used to be a school labeled and specialized in dislexia , and it is not anymore. Most students right now are mainly children with ADD and other issues associated with it. Your child would need also to fit in a mold , since the school only offered one type of program , it won't accomodate your child. I know too many families whose children were actually refused in the last two years. Some were too advanced ( cannot be gifted , the school doesn't provide advance programs , the math program is very light in general) ,some only had dislexia and it is not addressed anymore , also they tend to not accept children that are not medicamented , even if those children do not need it.
If your child fit the mold and is accepted then you will be very happy and it will be a great experience , but do have a alternative plan just in case it doesn't happen .
I'm sorry I should have been more attentive , rereading my post , I obviously mistaken Fairhill with Shelton. Please disregard.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:15 AM

32 posts, read 56,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I'm sorry I should have been more attentive , rereading my post , I obviously mistaken Fairhill with Shelton. Please disregard.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with your comments. None of your comments about Shelton are true based on my experience.

1. Shelton is a school for kids with learning differences. They teach their curriculum to other teachers and school districts. Most students have dyslexia. Some of the kids also have attention issues but not the majority.

2. Shelton offers 3 or 4 different reading programs so all kids are taught based on how they learn. So your statement about one type of program is false.

3. Shelton offers honors classes in high school. Middle school does have classes for kids that are advanced in core subjects but it isn't advertised. There are gifted students in my daughter's grade and some qualified for Duke TIP.

4. Dyslexia is addressed at all levels of the school, as well as organizational and study skills to help LD kids succeed at college.

5 Shelton does not force kids to take medicine for attention issues. Only two of my daughter's large group of friends has attention issues. One takes medicine and the other one does not. She knows a few more that do not take medicine for attention issues due to parent's wishes.

6. It is difficult to get into Shelton for Elementary school. But the middle and high school have plenty of openings. Kids are not turned away because they only have dyslexia and not attention issues. My daughter and most of her friends only have dyslexia. My neighbor's child is new to the school this year and he only has dyslexia.

Sorry but I had to comment. The original post had many inaccuracies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: