Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,650,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by black bean View Post
Says you.
Actually, we kinda resolved that, about 150 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:59 PM

641 posts, read 803,684 times
I like it. CA ppl and TX ppl are take extreme pride in their state.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black bean View Post
Hopefully they all still live in Illinois, Arkansas, Louisiana, Virginia, Florida, and California. They can stay there.
Nobody asked you where they can and cannot be.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Im from NC... it's weird to me to... It starts with "Honor the TX Flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas.... "

Everytime I hear it, I think of a brainwashed cult.... lol

Maybe that's why texans are so arrogant...they've been brainwashed since preschool to be about TX and nothing else... lol

I don't mind it though.... whatever, whats funny is most people I know who grew up here can recite it verbatim...
Maybe so. Then you realize. Texas isn't much better than the other 49 states.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,800,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Maybe so. Then you realize. Texas isn't much better than the other 49 states.
It's not a matter of being better or worse. It's about being unique. There were Texans who fought and died for their home to become its own nation. It no longer is, but I see no reason that statehood should mean sweeping heritage out the door.

I had no issue saying the pledge in school and would have no issues with my children saying it either.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:37 PM

241 posts, read 382,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Im from NC... it's weird to me to... It starts with "Honor the TX Flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas.... "

Everytime I hear it, I think of a brainwashed cult.... lol

Maybe that's why texans are so arrogant...they've been brainwashed since preschool to be about TX and nothing else... lol

I don't mind it though.... whatever, whats funny is most people I know who grew up here can recite it verbatim...
What did you think of the North Carolina pledge or the US pledge of allegiance?

Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM

641 posts, read 803,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
What did you think of the North Carolina pledge or the US pledge of allegiance?
I didn't know NC had a state pledge. If it does, we were never taught it. I'm a veteran, I have no problem with it. Ppl act like by saying it, your selling your soul or something. Its pledging allegiance. If you can't do that, please leave. The star spangled banner still gives me goosebumps if i hear it while at a event with thousands of people with their hats/hands over their heart. This country isn't perfect but its ours as Americans. I take pride in that. I may very well live in another country once I retire and I often visit other countries but I WILL ALWAYS PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE USA. I'm committed to and loyal to this country. There are things and ppl I'm more committed to but that doesn't interfere with me pldeging allegiance to my country. You can pledge loyalty to more than one country too if its in your heart to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's not a matter of being better or worse. It's about being unique. There were Texans who fought and died for their home to become its own nation. It no longer is, but I see no reason that statehood should mean sweeping heritage out the door.

I had no issue saying the pledge in school and would have no issues with my children saying it either.
Well said! And it's clearly better than many other states. I'm not from TX and I have no problem with my kids pledging allegiance to TX. It's my home. I'm a texan now. I like it. I'm loyal to the state as long as it doesnt interfere with my allegiance to my country, family, religion, or other things i feel are important to me as an individual. (if you guys really secede, me and my fam are outta here!).

My kids aren't selling their soul to TX and they are well travelled so they won't feel obligated to stay here if it would benefit them to leave.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:36 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,514,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

I grew up in Texas I remember saying the pledge of allegiance to the American flag, I remember saying the lords prayer (before it was outlawed) every morning at school. But at no time was I ever even told that there was a pledge to the Lone Star flag. Where is this required? Is this a North Texas thing ? Because I have never known anybody who has told me they recited any pledge to the Texas flag at anytime during their school years...

Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,268,154 times
No one can force anyone to pledge to any flag at any school. If it's a problem, don't pledge. Problem solved.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:21 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
I believe a law was passed around 2002 adding it to the school day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas