Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I believe a law was passed around 2002 adding it to the school day.
Thanks, that explains why it may have eluded me, but I still never knew there was a pledge to the Lone Star Flag unless that is new as well. Interesting, I will look into this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 PM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Native Texan and I never said it when I was in school. When I first heard it being said at my kids schools, it was new to me.
I do not object at all.

As the previous poster stated that is a veteran, I have no problem with it. It is part of our history of not only this state but this nation. We need to stop this infighting and realize we better start sticking together as Americans or we are going to be in a world of hurt.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
I believe a law was passed around 2002 adding it to the school day.
2003, I believe. My generation never said it, couldn't have recited it if requested. First time this 5th generation Texan ever heard it recited was when my kid was in public school and there was a law passed. In 2007 they added "under God" to the Texas Pledge.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

Thanks, that explains why it may have eluded me, but I still never knew there was a pledge to the Lone Star Flag unless that is new as well. Interesting, I will look into this.....
It's not a new development insofar as some school districts are concerned; we recited the Texas Pledge of Allegiance in the Goose Creek (Baytown) schools in the mid-1960s. We'd also sing the state song ("Texas, Our Texas") in addition to reciting the U. S. Pledge of Allegiance. And there was included, for a time, a prayer, but they did away with that at some point.

The Texas Pledge of Allegiance apparently dates from 1933, and originally referred to the Texas flag of 1836, also known as the Burnet flag, which was a golden star set in a blue field. In 1965, the words "of 1836" were deleted from the pledge, which is fortunate, since grade-school children in Baytown, then as now, would have trouble even calling to mind the image of the Burnet flag.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:00 PM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:
You're awfully outraged for someone who is completely unaffected by this.
Their outrage is Texas sized.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
Closer to Alaska size.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 AM

8 posts, read 6,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Actually, we kinda resolved that, about 150 years ago.
You resolved nothing about 150 years ago. Like most modern Americans, you graduated from day care, showed up late, and got a trophy.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
I was saying it in elementary school, which was the mid 90s, so it was definitely in schools before 2002, but maybe it's a district by district thing.

And I certainly don't remember us having a choice in saying it.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 AM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Their outrage is Texas sized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Closer to Alaska size.
Actually, it is about the OP's irony.

They, evidently, moved here from some other part of the US, therefore, there must be something about the character of Texas that makes it what it is, and attractive to the newcomer.

Yet, when they come here, they attack the things that are part of the culture that brings the very kind of features they find attractive (jobs, relatively low house prices, etc).

Texas has for many generations had a character of independence and rugged self reliance... a sense of equal footing to the federal government, having come from essentially being its/their own country before joining the union. This breeds a healthy, and vocal, skepticism in government, especially from DC.

This is rather remarkable, given it's size. But, it is probably the basis for a good part of its prosperity - its attractiveness to business.

Look, we moved here only recently, and we think it a good thing for our children, even if only out of a simple matter of respect for the culture here.

We are not talking about human rights violations, after all.

We didn't have to move here.

The good folks of Texas didn't have to accept us here.

The problem is that the OP's attitude is a common one, especially with people who move to this country, let alone from another state (cough...California...cough...NY).

There is always something "wrong" with some aspect of Texas, and, by implication, it "should" be like where they came from. (Often articulated with some sense of superiority, if not opprobrium)

Then they go about pushing for changing Texas into whatever it was they came from, only, one has to wonder, if it was so wonderful back there, why did they move?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black bean View Post
You resolved nothing about 150 years ago. Like most modern Americans, you graduated from day care, showed up late, and got a trophy.
I'm impressed that of your whopping 4 posts on all of C-D, 3 are about the Texas Pledge of Allegiance. Must be an issue that you are very sensitive about, and that is reinforced by your immediate jump to attempts at personal insults. This forum is richer for your valuable contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas