Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
That's true. One of our ex coworker stated the same once he left. He was given only half his PTO reimbursement. Texas is indeed different I guess.
Our lack of rights is euphemistically referred to as "a business-friendly climate."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
In all fairness, Texas isn't really unique in this respect. It's more unusual to have protections than to not.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
In all fairness, Texas isn't really unique in this respect. It's more unusual to have protections than to not.
In the US, yes. And I don't expect that to change ever, unfortunately.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Companies here aren't even required to pay you for accrued PTO when you separate. Some do, some don't. Mine doesn't.
I was displeased (to put it mildly) about this exact issue upon separation from my last company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Oh, don't act like a martyr. Good employees schedule vacation time responsibily throughout the entire calendar year and are savvy about company culture when it comes to PTO.

It's a lot easier to get PTO approved when you're the only person taking a week off in June or October than when the whole office wants Christmas time off. And it sounds like you can still take one week at Christmas, right? It's not like he denied the entire request.
Oh for sure. As Americans, we get less PTO than our European counterparts, so using the time is of utmost importance here. I am on-track to use all of my vacation and PTO days this year.

I’m pretty conscientious about using the days I’m allowed to and plan ahead as much as possible. I’m not a big fan of saving up all days until the end of the year. Ideally, spacing out my PTO days is best as it keeps me freshest for the job. I need my down time.

As an unmarried person without kids, I have more flexibility in taking PTO days. I can take weeks off that I know married people with kids will never want to take off.

Always plan ahead with PTO days.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
And put in your vacation requests early. like months in advance if you can plan that far out. That way at least you can say you were first to request "said" days.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 AM

177 posts, read 311,935 times
My best advice to you nity is NEVER assume anything at work. I think you assumed that you would be able to take your earned vacation anytime so because of this you didn't have dialogue with your supervisor about your plans. The best course of action is "when in doubt, talk it out" with your supervisor. Lesson learned for you, so now you know and next year you can do pre-planning of all your time off and get the right approvals in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: