Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The Bavarian Grill in Plano is the single best German restaurant in the US (or at least the won an award for it).

Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to find better German food ANYWHERE.

Best German Restaurant in American - Bavarian Grill
Have you been to Jorg's in downtown Plano? To be fair it's technically Austrian food but they have great Schnitzel. I prefer it to the Bavarian Grill. They're both good, though. I'm happy to have them both to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:41 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthegoat View Post
I thought Central BBQ in Memphis was much better than Corky's IMHO.
I agree with you!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, there are plenty of great and diverse food selections that are non-chain in DFW. But the problem is when you get a bunch of food snobs from places like Cali, Chicago, and the Northeast complaining about the food scene in DFW, knowing darn well those places stand alone in the food arena and that NOWHERE else in America can truly match up to them all around. Those are the same types of folks who move to DFW/Texas and expect DFW/Texas to change for THEM, instead of them adapting to the local culture; complaining about how inferior they think the food scene here is to NYC, LA, Chicago, or DC is just one manifestation of that. But that's another story...
Very true.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing View Post
Have you been to Jorg's in downtown Plano? To be fair it's technically Austrian food but they have great Schnitzel. I prefer it to the Bavarian Grill. They're both good, though. I'm happy to have them both to choose from.
I agree , I prefer Jorg's as well. Kuby's near SMU has also excellent dishes and their German deli is high quality.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I agree , I prefer Jorg's as well. Kuby's near SMU has also excellent dishes and their German deli is high quality.
Never tried Kuby's, I should. On a related note, I like Henk's a lot.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Love a simple rib dinner in Oakland with just Hunt barbecue sauce and just a whole lotta of food on the plate.
Any person that is trying to argue one type of BBQ is better than another OR one region of BBQ is better than another regions that LIKES Hunt's BBQ sauce just lost any ounce of credibility they may have had.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
I'm a native Texan and grew up with brisket and ribs for BBQ. Sauce was tomato based.
However, I've traveled extensively in the South and also love me some good pork BBQ. No to the ham. IMHO, any ham offering at a BBQ joint was solely for a picky kid to dine on while mom & dad got down and dirty eating brisket and ribs.

I like the vinegar based sauces but, I prefer a good rub and sauce for dipping. Give me some good dry rub ribs that fall of the bone and some smooth as butter brisket with a good rub nice and thick cooked to perfection, not over cooked. Burnt ends are a fine delicacy.

I love me some pork ribs from Archibald's in Tuscaloosa. Vinegar based sauce that is very thin and runs down your arms. GAWD, that's some good stuff.

As far as sides are concerned, once upon a time here with Texas BBQ they had good sides that were homemade from scratch. That seemed to be the first thing that was cut and it started coming off the Sysco truck, bleh! A few places do have some good sides. Yet, when I'm ready to get down and dirty on some good BBQ at a join that has mouth watering brisket, fall of the bone pork ribs and burnt ends........ screw the sides!

Thankfully, some of the Central Texas & Hill Country BBQ joints are moving into the Dallas area and other smaller places are opening up in the Dallas area that go back to the roots of good BBQ. A good number of Texas places now offer pulled pork.

I was not impressed with the BBQ at Blues Ciity Cafe in Memphis. It was only a "we are passing thru" place we stopped to get some dinner.

My mouth is now watering...........

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Comparing Texas BBQ with Memphis or Carolina BBQ is like comparing Tex-Mex with authentic Mexican. They both have the same "base" but are completely different categories imo.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Never tried Kuby's, I should. On a related note, I like Henk's a lot.
Henk's is good as well and the restaurant part is probably even better than Kuby's but when it comes to sausages, hams and other deli products , Kuby's has the higher hand.
Henk's pastries are also really good and their European style cakes are well known around here. I have seen them on many tables , people drive from far to get them.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Kuby's also processes game!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas