Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 11:19 AM

769 posts, read 783,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay24 View Post
Yea you're right. The only place I've ever eaten at in Dallas is Olive garden. silly me.
Are you saying that you also tried CiCi's pizza?

So what have you actually tried that doesn't measure up to your exquisite palate? If you also list restaurants that you do like from other cities then maybe your discussion about taste adds some actual meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,848 times
Interesting story about Bob Armstrong Dip from the man himself... it's origin's are in Austin.

The History of Bob Armstrong Dip, According to Bob Armstrong - Eater Austin

Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,412,948 times
Quote:
Interesting story about Bob Armstrong Dip from the man himself... it's origin's are in Austin.

The History of Bob Armstrong Dip, According to Bob Armstrong - Eater Austin
And here's a zero star review of a restaurant in NYC that sells a ripoff Bob Armstrong dip. Kinda fun!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/di...park.html?_r=0

Quote:
I grew up in a different part, where good/great Mexican food was pretty plentiful.
No, I help my wife take care of her elderly relatives between those two cities, Granada Hills (sister-in-law) to the north and Laguna (parents) to the south and travel between them often. So name a restaurant that is good anywhere between those two and I will try it out. Elderly relatives eat almost exclusively at Dennys, the rest of the family don't like Mexican food beyond Taco Bell.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,556,254 times
Some great leads in here! Breakfast is probably the only meal that I would regularly go to a sit down restaurant if I could find a good one.

New Orleans had Blue Bird Cafe, which changed owners at one point and became Coolio's. Their banana nut buckwheat pancakes were divine. Haven't found anything like them since. Unlike your typical buckwheat pancake, they were fluffy, not thin and dense. And they only used real butter, and maple syrup. It was kind of hard not to find good breakfast down there, to be honest. Everybody had their go-to, but they were always good.

I'll have to try the Truck Yard, looks similar to the food trucks in Austin. I found a decent place for cheesesteaks. Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks in Allen are what you could expect as an "average" steak in Philadelphia, which is not bad by any means.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,507,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
It's also at mattitos just not on the menu.
Yep. Have to order off menu. Good stuff.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Some great leads in here! Breakfast is probably the only meal that I would regularly go to a sit down restaurant if I could find a good one.

New Orleans had Blue Bird Cafe, which changed owners at one point and became Coolio's. Their banana nut buckwheat pancakes were divine. Haven't found anything like them since. Unlike your typical buckwheat pancake, they were fluffy, not thin and dense. And they only used real butter, and maple syrup. It was kind of hard not to find good breakfast down there, to be honest. Everybody had their go-to, but they were always good.

I'll have to try the Truck Yard, looks similar to the food trucks in Austin. I found a decent place for cheesesteaks. Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks in Allen are what you could expect as an "average" steak in Philadelphia, which is not bad by any means.
Truck Yard is a lot of fun. I did enjoy my cheesesteak there but I'm far from connoisseur. Great atmosphere and their Trash Can Punch (LOL) took me back to college days.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thanks! We'll have to check it out sometime! I'm really not a Cafe Brazil fan, I find it overpriced with terrible service. I like hole-in-the-wall places for breakfast. It's kind of hard to screw up scrambled eggs or a veggie omelette.
Have you tried Bic's Coffee Shop, Midway and Keller Springs? Typical mom and pop breakfast. Lot's of senior citizens, which (don't laugh!) is usually a good indicator to me that breakfast will be good and not overpriced!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay24 View Post
I love the metro, the city, the suburbs, I even think that visually the city as a whole is beautiful to drive thru, and not just downtown.

But my only complaint(Besides the terrible PT) is the food is underwhelming. Considered its the 4th largest metro in America(After LA, CHI, NYC) the drop off in food quality from the big 3 to Dallas is very noticeable and disappointing.

Just my opinion
Please tell me you're kidding.

We've got one of the most restaurant-savvy cities in America, including a plethora of legendary eateries (locally and nationally-known), and you didn't like the food??

You must have not looked hard enough.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:16 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
PLEASE don't use Joe T's as your standard of DFW area Tex Mex. It is inexplicable to me why that place is so overwhelmingly popular despite being SO mediocre.
Inexplicable? It couldn't be easier to explain: The atmosphere. The patio.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDallas View Post
Knox-Henderson is so overrated. The last time I was there (which was only a few months ago) I thought to myself, "Why is this place considered 'hip'?" It's tiny, there aren't THAT many things to do besides eat or drink beer. I never understood the hype around that area.
I don't even understand the criticism. Why would you want to do something other than eat and drink? That's what people do when they socialize at home, and that's what they do when they socialize outside the home, with the added dimension that the people you socialize with aren't limited to a specific guest list -- you run into people you know semi-expectedly or unexpectedly, and you meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas