Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,477,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah really. I have yet to find a really great breakfast place near me. Cafe Brazil doesn't count! And there's no way I could drag Mr. BigD to Oak Lawn on a Sunday morning for breakfast.
We found a place in "north" Richardson last weekend called Hot Pancakes. Now it's a hole in the wall and nothing like Cafe Brazil, it's more of an old diner, mom and pop place that's almost connected to a gas station. But the food was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,379,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
We found a place in "north" Richardson last weekend called Hot Pancakes. Now it's a hole in the wall and nothing like Cafe Brazil, it's more of an old diner, mom and pop place that's almost connected to a gas station. But the food was great!
Thanks! We'll have to check it out sometime! I'm really not a Cafe Brazil fan, I find it overpriced with terrible service. I like hole-in-the-wall places for breakfast. It's kind of hard to screw up scrambled eggs or a veggie omelette.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Below are a few places you may like OP.

Tex-Mex: Mattitos (Bob Armstrong Dip is a must)
Steak: Al Biernat's
Italian: Carbone's (used to be Daniele Osteria's)
French: Toulouse (we have Christmas Eve dinner here every year)
Seafood: Rex's
Pizza: Zalat
Chinese: Howard Wangs
Burger: Rodeo Goat, Maple Motor or Burger House on Hillcrest
Donuts: Hypnotic
Breakfast: Buzzbrews
Cheese-steak: Truck Yard
Chicken: Bubba's

Last edited by bencronin04; 01-13-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 AM

210 posts, read 305,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
To the OP:

How about being specific?!

You just make wild claims and the only evidence you deliver is the reputation of other world class cities. Bizarre.

I'll state that you simply don't know the Dallas restaurant scene. 10 years living here means nothing if you just ate at Olive Garden.
Still waiting for specifics from OP

Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,775,282 times
Quote:

Rex's is fantastic for seafood. I would add Stackhouse to the burger joint list, and just add in generally Fearings in the Ritz.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 AM

922 posts, read 1,116,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
So I spend 4 months a year in Southern CA, and in my opinion, the 'Mexican' food is almost exactly the same in Dallas. The differences are insanely minimal. So what are the names of all the joints I'm missing that are so authentic and so great? Location is anywhere between Laguna Beach and Granada Hills is fine distance, and I'm talking lunch places, not $20 a plate.
Oh, honey, you apparently go to a different part of So Cal than I was raised in Laguna Beach is not going to provide you with anything but an empty wallet and unsatisfied stomach. I grew up in a different part, where good/great Mexican food was pretty plentiful.

I am going to continue to search for great Mexican food in DFW, as I know it's out there

Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM

500 posts, read 586,561 times
Quote:

FYI: The Bob Armstrong Dip is at Matt's
Totally different establishment and owners than Mattito's.

Steak: Al Biernat's, Bob's, Eddie V's, III Forks, Silver Fox, Texas

Seafood: Eddie V's

Burger: too many

Cheese-steak at Truck Yard is yum!

Fried Chicken: Bubba's. Babe's and in Vegas at Southern Yard

Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM

500 posts, read 586,561 times
re: Mexican Food

You do realize there are different types of "Mexican" food. There are many different regions in Mexico. Some areas incorprate more seafood into their "Mexican" food. Along the coast in the fishing villages in Mexico you will find mostly seafood inspired dishes. In other regions you will find corn tortillas popular. El Pollo is common in a lot of Mexican dishes. Same goes for the different beans that are offered. Rice is prepared differently in every region. The cheeses used are also going to vary based on what is available in a region.

To say that the "Mexican" here in Dallas or any other place is worse or better than other areas really is not accurate. It is just a different type from a different region. Broaden your horizons. Tex-Mex is one thing. We may call it "Mexican food", but we all know that us Texans are referring to Tex-Mex. It's different and that is a good thing. Embrace different! That is what makes the world so great otherwise we would all be eating the same damn food all over the world.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 AM

690 posts, read 1,011,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick texan View Post
I haven't read this entire thread. Just chiming in as a former Austinite who is living in a suburb of Baltimore, I just don't know what I believe. The "food" in the NE suburbs is HORRENDOUS. All chain restaurants of the worst kind (Applebees makes people THRILLED) serving the most bland food you have ever tasted. One weekend in Dallas I was back in the motherland. I had ENCHILADAS. I had HOMEMADE CORN TORTILLAS. I had BREAKFAST TACOS. People here don't even know what that is. My friends here don't know what cilantro is. That could just be small town/NE suburbia but I have to say Dallas killed it compared to here. Not as great as Austin, but let's face it.....that's a hard thing to live up to!

Hey homesick Texan, in all honesty most people outside of the influence of Mexico particularly will not know much about Mexican food. Same way the sport of Lacrosse isn't really that popular outside of MD,DC,VA. Especially in the suburbs of most cities on the east coast where everything is a taco bell, or chipotle. You might have to travel to the city to someplace with a considerable Latino population and go to a restaurant like Nacho Mama.

(pic by me)

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 01-13-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
FYI: The Bob Armstrong Dip is at Matt's
Totally different establishment and owners than Mattito's.

Steak: Al Biernat's, Bob's, Eddie V's, III Forks, Silver Fox, Texas

Seafood: Eddie V's

Burger: too many

Cheese-steak at Truck Yard is yum!

Fried Chicken: Bubba's. Babe's and in Vegas at Southern Yard
It's also at mattitos just not on the menu.

Last edited by bencronin04; 01-13-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas