Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
raised in Southern CA and went to Mexico my entire life so I KNOW what good Mexican food is supposed to taste like-
So I spend 4 months a year in Southern CA, and in my opinion, the 'Mexican' food is almost exactly the same in Dallas. The differences are insanely minimal. So what are the names of all the joints I'm missing that are so authentic and so great? Location is anywhere between Laguna Beach and Granada Hills is fine distance, and I'm talking lunch places, not $20 a plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:31 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,411,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay24 View Post
That's the thing. I never said it wasn't good food.Its underwhelming for being the 4th largest metro.

If you rated the food in the Big 3. Each city is a 10.
Dallas is about a 7 and thats being very nice.

Dallas is not the 4th largest city. the entire DFW area is 4th 'metro area' but you only seem to reference Dallas as the metro area (which it isn't) but compare it to much larger and more dense cities.

Dallas alone is ranked between San Diego and San Jose. On those merits, I think it does pretty well in terms of shelling out cash to eat at places.

Anyway, I'm with you on the seafood but, as others mentioned, we are quite landlocked so it's irrational to expect 'right off the boat' quality. Steaks, however, are pretty great even in the average grocery store.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,767,248 times
Anyone who doesn't think Dallas has good Tex-Mex has never tried to the tacos nortenos at El Corazon.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 9,269 times
Dallas has pretty good food. I'd put it behind Houston and Austin (only slightly) in the state.

But still, you can find good food there, just not the breadth/variety of good food that you see in NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago, etc.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM

26 posts, read 28,795 times
If you can't find food in the Dallas area, then one of two things is going on. 1) You have specific tastes which means that it's just luck if its satisfied or 2) you haven't tried hard enough.

If one can't find fantastic Asian food (as in *any* kind of Asian food) in Garland, Richardson, parts of Plano and N Dallas then you aren't going to find it.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,562,337 times
Dallas is not a great food city OP, agreed.

And since you grew up in LA you'll have higher standards.

I would rate Chicago and NYC tied at top and LA next.

DFW area needs to have a cool factor, we're not cool

We're not talking about chains and burger joints here.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,654,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Really? I must be missing out because the thing I miss the most moving away from Dallas is the food and all the variety it has: Burger joints, BBQ, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Viet, TexMex, Mediterranean...you name it. And for some reason when you order a steak in Texas, it just tastes better.
Agreed. The variety and quality of food in the Dallas area is very good. I've been to most of the major cities in the country and overall Dallas food is just as good as any place. I'm not originally from here, but I know many people always protect their home area because that is what they are used to.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM

244 posts, read 406,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesYaya View Post
If you can't find food in the Dallas area, then one of two things is going on. 1) You have specific tastes which means that it's just luck if its satisfied or 2) you haven't tried hard enough.

If one can't find fantastic Asian food (as in *any* kind of Asian food) in Garland, Richardson, parts of Plano and N Dallas then you aren't going to find it.
Don't forget Arlington for Vietnamese, Northwest Highway in Dallas for Korean

There is so much community diffusion, you have to search harder- but it's there. I'm also curious if the poster actually follows any food blogs- even the basic ones like Eater, Observers food blog, etc. Hell, the Taco Trail would lead to some legit Mexican versus TexMex.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM

7,892 posts, read 11,422,651 times
I have lived in Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Houston as well as DFW area (dare I say Plano with the two many threads issue around lol). I find Houston has the best day to day restaurants for all types of food. Dallas has better and more high end fine dining optioins. NJ and Pa both have some great restaurants but more average if not worse as heavy handed zoning keeps competiton out so the weak do survive longer. Houston's no zoning is a help to it in affordable mid market restaurants. DFW is zoning light and has a number of great middle market places just not as many as Houston in my experience. I miss great affordable seafood the most about Houston. I miss one great Italian restaurant in NYC from NJ and not much from Pa. Oklahoma is a whole other country is all I will say but Durant has a graet BBQ place now that is tops above DFW ones Ive tried now.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,489,912 times
The only thing that sucks about the Dallas food scene is the excessive use of valet parking! That's my only real gripe. I guess that's what also pressures us to buy more expensive cars

I agree with the consensus. If you can't find good food here you aren't looking hard enough or you aren't going to the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas