Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 13,135 times

Advertisements

I know there is a large population of Indian and Asian people in West Plano, so I'm wondering mostly about my children in school, how is it culturally for a Caucasian child, especially in preschool? I'm looking at preschools in the area and the ones I've toured are all 50% or more Indian. Which seems fine to me, but I'm new to the area and wondering. If I send my child to a Montessori preschool, most of them are owned/directed by Indians, so are those Indians totally secular or does their religion influence the school? (I'm not expecting them to be devoid of their cultural heritage at all, just wondering if their culture is very religious and does that effect the way they would teach my child?) Or is there any bias toward Indian children, in that a Caucasian child might not do as well if they are a minority?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,468,401 times
I'll just say that my kids go to a prominently Muslim run school. There are a lot of Indians(different religions) and Muslims, but they are incredibly understanding and kind to my children and my wife that works there. She is the only Christian in the school and they threw a staff Christmas party just for her. Now as far as them being secular, they will more than likely try and be, but their culture is their culture. I know my son's teacher will occasionally say a phrase that is similar to "God Bless You", but in Arabic. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Regardless of what you hear on the news, I find other religions to be extremely kind and welcoming as a whole.

Last edited by bencronin04; 01-04-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,118,044 times
Are you kidding? Whites are still far and away the largest demographic in Plano. They're not a minority, in preschools, public schools, or privates.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Are you kidding? Whites are still far and away the largest demographic in Plano. They're not a minority, in preschools, public schools, or privates.
Well, I meant a minority in a particular preschool. All the preschools I toured were all owned and directed by Indians and most of the teachers were Indian and at least 50%, maybe up to 75% of the students were Indian.

I'm happy to hear the other positive remarks

Old 01-04-2016, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 133,816 times
My younger kid went to a Pre-school owned by an Indian a few years back. It was run professionally, the staff was a mix of Indian/White and I didn't feel any different from other pre-schools my older one went to.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,118,044 times
There are certain neighborhoods in Plano that are predominantly Indian or Asian, Deerfield North comes to mind. So yes, any preschool or elementary school that services that particular neighborhood could possibly have a majority of non white students. But that will go away at the middle and high school levels.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
There are certain neighborhoods in Plano that are predominantly Indian or Asian, Deerfield North comes to mind. So yes, any preschool or elementary school that services that particular neighborhood could possibly have a majority of non white students. But that will go away at the middle and high school levels.
Interesting. Yes, we are very close to the Deerfield neighborhood. I do love our neighborhood though! Everyone has been very kind since we moved here

Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM

43 posts, read 48,450 times
Plano is still a white majority town, most PISD teachers are caucasians as well. As far as private preschools and schools go, unless it's a religious school, owners want to keep it secular to keep up the enrollment. First and foremost, education is their business.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:36 PM

5,881 posts, read 4,195,647 times
This thread is pure gold.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM

43 posts, read 48,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I'll just say that my kids go to a prominently Muslim run school. There are a lot of Indians(different religions) and Muslims, but they are incredibly understanding and kind to my children and my wife that works there. She is the only Christian in the school and they threw a staff Christmas party just for her. Now as far as them being secular, they will more than likely try and be, but their culture is their culture. I know my son's teacher will occasionally say a phrase that is similar to "God Bless You", but in Arabic. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Regardless of what you hear on the news, I find other religions to be extremely kind and welcoming as a whole.
Is it in Plano?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas