Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 30,277 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are looking for homes in the Dallas area. I am simply looking for a list of good public schools and not so good public schools. I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Talking I just found a great tool for finding good/bad schools!

I found the best website for school ratings- I dont know if I am allowed to post it on here. If you would like to know- message me and I will send to you. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
If you are talking about greatschools.net - it is very helpful and accurate.

Are you looking in the city of Dallas or elsewhere?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
This is also a good website to check schools National Center for Educational Accountability/Just for the Kids. It compares schools to other schools with the same or similar demographics.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Awesome- thanks so much!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
East Dallas/Lakewood: Lakewood, Lipscomb, Lee and Stonewall Jackson Elementaries. JL Long Middle School (pre-AP, Math, Science), Woodrow Wilson High (AP, Athletics, Science, Mock Trial, Music and Theater).

All have been recognized by local, state and national publications.

In the North Dallas area you will want to stay with W.T. White and Hillcrest clusters. Also Dallas has many outstanding magnet schools, including TAG, Science/Engineering, Booker T. Arts, Travis Academy, Griener, Rangel Girls, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,546 times
Just a quick note about schools............yes great schools.net is a very effective tool when searching for the perfect school for your kiddies BUT do not underestimate two things 1) verify that the home you are looking at is zoned for that school (I know in Allen/Mckinney they are doing some shifting of school zones again) 2) Visit the school. If you have the opportunity sit in a class. Overall we have been happy with the school system in TX but there has been some 'surprises' along the well that I wish we were a little more prepared. (lack of structured/traditional spelling and the report card grading is still very ODD to me)

Last edited by scyogi; 02-12-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: seriously......my spelling is challenged!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Search for info on TAKS ratings here. You will find that some schools have upper-echelon kids and classes who/which are ranked nationally but the school still fails because of the lower, remedial, ESL and special education classes. All of the many subgroups must pass so it penalizes diverse schools. Sometimes 1-2-3 students can cause the whole school's ranking to tank. Also I believe greatschools puts too much stock in those ratings - so be sure to read the parent comments.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,921 times
Great Schools isn't in my opinion the best tool to use nor is Just for Kids. You are better off going to the TEA website or going to the schools to find out for yourself. Most complaints on this sites are done by the parents that are never happy no matter where their child attends. Usually only the complainers get on these sites and record their thoughts. I don't mean to put a damper on this. I just know this is the case.

TAKS scores tell you nothing about the quality of a school. The staff, the children, the programs etc. tell you what a quality school is all about. My son attends a quality school but due to one sub pop the school didn't fair well. Does that make the school bad? Absolutely not. It just means that one kid one day had a bad day(this is just my example...not actually the exact #..I'm just trying to prove a point).

Tests shouldn't be the only measure to a great school. The school I work at is an exemplary school according to the state tests and it has wonderful things going on program wise within the building. It isn't title one but is close to being one. According to some, our school shouldn't be doing as well due to all the apartments that feed into the building.

I suggest visiting school districts and driving around neighborhoods. I suggest checking out school websites. You can get some excellent info. off these sites. I know Frisco, Carrollton, and Lewisville offer a great deal of info. about their school districts via their websites.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM

J L Long Again in State Math Competition:

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas