Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:55 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsInSnare View Post
You'll live longer if you stop working yourself up over absolutely nothing.

No one was attacking these girls. No one was saying they were on drugs. These conversations are starting by OTHER parents (repeat, other people, who have had Plano ISD kids), and I'm merely asking for opinions and experiences as I have not had any experience with a Plano high school. I think that's a fair question to ask for other people's experiences.

Oh and btw I live in the same town too and I'm very sorry for these families' losses, but I'm certainly not going to dare act like my remorse is the same as theirs.

MurphyPI1 is long time very reasonable poster who I believe we should a cut a little slack in this case.

1. With intent or not you confabbed these two girls' suicides with rumored drug problems in Plano schools.

2. I think the proper course of action is to fully disregard most things you read on forums during times of distress.

3. All that said it's great that you speak to your kiddo often.

4. So far as drugs go...........Dallas is on I35, a key overland route for drugs made and or passed through Mexico. The hard truth is anyone, sadly including kids, with a few bucks can score all manner of dope all around DFW with ease.

I think the antidote to the easy dope supply, so much as there is one, is ongoing parental engagement, consistent frank two way discussions and sadly heavy handed "friend management" when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
This has been true since the 80's. You always hear about drug overdoses and Plano, Texas.
You always hear about it because of the rich, perfect stereotype.
It makes for good media.

As for it having more drugs than any other school...doubtful.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 PM

21 posts, read 44,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
MurphyPI1 is long time very reasonable poster who I believe we should a cut a little slack in this case.

1. With intent or not you confabbed these two girls' suicides with rumored drug problems in Plano schools.

2. I think the proper course of action is to fully disregard most things you read on forums during times of distress.

3. All that said it's great that you speak to your kiddo often.

4. So far as drugs go...........Dallas is on I35, a key overland route for drugs made and or passed through Mexico. The hard truth is anyone, sadly including kids, with a few bucks can score all manner of dope all around DFW with ease.

I think the antidote to the easy dope supply, so much as there is one, is ongoing parental engagement, consistent frank two way discussions and sadly heavy handed "friend management" when needed.

1. Not my intention. I simply type as fast as I think, if that makes any sense. I had literally just read these things on one of the news posts regarding the girls. That's all.

2. I never take things online as fact, I like to hear things from all angles, hence why I asked here.

3. Yes, and I believe in continuing to do so.

4. I never considered that before...the connection with I35 and the drugs from Mexico. Valid point.

Thank you

Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Excellent post EDS. (AS USUAL)

Thank you.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I can post if I choose. And I am defensive. My town is in mourning with these families and we sure don't need the added crap of slams like our students do more drugs than other cities or are poor little rich kids.

I'm disgusted by the vultures who can't even wait til these girls are put to rest to stir up drama.
Amen. Such a sad situation. Prayers for you all- the community, the families, the neighbors, and friends.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I lived in Plano for most of my life, and went to elementary, middle, and high school in Plano.

I was there in high school in the 90's when several kids died from heroin and several of them went to prison, one of who was a former friend of mine. That was a wake up call for Plano. At that time, drug use was more prevalent than it is now, but it still exists. Here's an article that kind of details that...

Years after Plano epidemic, Collin County still fighting heroin addiction

I would say the drug problem now is no better or worse than with any other major suburban ISD, possibly better, simply because parents are more vigilant about noticing their children's behavior and are aware that drugs can be obtained in Plano by kids. In the 90's, no one thought kids would even be able to score drugs in such an affluent, lily white city with virtually no violent crime. So it took everyone (parents, educators, police) by surprise.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I don't think Plano has a bigger or smaller drug problem than any other school district. If kids want to try/do drugs, they WILL find a way. Add money to the equation, and the problems can escalate quickly. (Not to say that drugs are a "rich kid" problem- DISD's TJ was the epicenter of the "cheese" heroin overdose epidemic in the mid 2000's).

Old 02-02-2016, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Considering the recent news of the 2 Plano East students who committed suicide, I've been reading posts and forums of parents stating that their kids went to Plano ISD high schools and stating that Plano ISD has a horrible drug problem amongst its students that most parents are unaware of?? I'm curious what this is all about.

I have a daughter who will eventually feed into Plano East. I talk to her about EVERYTHING, even though she's just about to go into middle school. We have talked about drugs and all sorts of issues, so I'm not trying to pawn off the responsibility on a school, BUT I am very disappointed to hear that Plano ISD is known for having these issues?

Opinions? Experiences? Would love to hear them.
I have no experience with the PISD whatsoever, but I'm someone who treads the Earth, pays taxes, and talks to my neighbors.

Every school where there are teenagers with spare time and/or spare cash will have some level of drug use. FACT. There will be high school students from SOC to the Park Cities to Frisco to Plano and all points in between who use drugs. FACT.

To say that PISD has an epidemic drug problem is a gross oversimplification and, frankly, an unfair characterization that stains the reputations of good kids...who I'm sure comprise the vast majority of PISD students. It's also an unfounded swipe at what is considered to be one of the best school districts in north Texas.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 AM

125 posts, read 191,349 times
Quote:
Considering the recent news of the 2 Plano East students who committed suicide, I've been reading posts and forums of parents stating that their kids went to Plano ISD high schools and stating that Plano ISD has a horrible drug problem amongst its students that most parents are unaware of?? I'm curious what this is all about.

I have a daughter who will eventually feed into Plano East. I talk to her about EVERYTHING, even though she's just about to go into middle school. We have talked about drugs and all sorts of issues, so I'm not trying to pawn off the responsibility on a school, BUT I am very disappointed to hear that Plano ISD is known for having these issues?

Opinions? Experiences? Would love to hear them.
Give me whatever drugs you're on!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Man this was a rough week for Plano East, with suicides and the allegations about the two baseball coaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas