Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,784 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow EMF-worrywarts...

What neighborhoods in the west side do NOT have high voltage lines running around or through them?

Are there any neighborhoods that do NOT have backyard or frontyard power lines and poles running around all of the houses?

It seems like every neighborhood has a power line in front or behind it, and every 2 houses is a pole pig (transformer drum on the pole, the white bucket), I'm assuming these are distribution lines and not high voltage, I plan on using a gaussmeter to take readings nonetheless, but I was hoping there might be some exception for aesthetic and property valuation reasons. And yes, I realize this sounds very silly because to have electricity, it must be coming from a line somewhere...but sometimes they are buried from the pole to the houses on a street, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
Hello fellow EMF-worrywarts...

What neighborhoods in the west side do NOT have high voltage lines running around or through them?

Are there any neighborhoods that do NOT have backyard or frontyard power lines and poles running around all of the houses?

It seems like every neighborhood has a power line in front or behind it, and every 2 houses is a pole pig (transformer drum on the pole, the white bucket), I'm assuming these are distribution lines and not high voltage, I plan on using a gaussmeter to take readings nonetheless, but I was hoping there might be some exception for aesthetic and property valuation reasons. And yes, I realize this sounds very silly because to have electricity, it must be coming from a line somewhere...but sometimes they are buried from the pole to the houses on a street, yes?
You will more than likely have to reside in a "newer" subdivision (neighborhood) to get the buried lines which are standard for new construction.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM

53 posts, read 174,235 times
"EMFs from a buried power line may be about twice the levels from a typical overhead line carrying the same electrical load.
This is because an underground line is usually buried only a few feet below the surface of the ground and is closer than an overhead line that is suspended well above the ground."

Old 03-28-2009, 12:53 PM

I know :-( unless the underground are in piping and insulated with it. I'm torn about this subject, because unless we build a house in the middle of nowhere with no electricity, there is no way to avoid it. We're bringing a gaussmeter to take EMF readings when we visit next weekend, the realtor is going to think we are nuts! Oh well, despite appearances, I think it is a smart idea considering the high possibility of complications long-term.

All the power lines are underground here, it freaks me out to think what we may be living on top of...hmm. We actually had a big green transformer for our subdivision in our last home's backyard...so I'm certain we've had our fair share (my husband works with major electric and magnetic fields daily, he thinks I'm a nut for worrying about their affect on the body...but there are studies, as with everything) *sigh*

Old 03-28-2009, 02:52 PM

For the truly paranoid, get yourself a geiger counter to make sure those new granite counter tops aren't overly radioactive.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM

haha I know you didn't just go there! haha I HATE granite countertops...so no worries about that :-) that was one of the main features I was talking about not liking in the other thread. lol

But hey, if something interferes with quality of life, I say minimize it...there is NO way to eliminate it with a modern lifestyle. You'd probably be concerned too if you had researched as much as I have and were staying at home with very young children who may spend the next 20 years of their lives in this house...20 years of exposure...something to think about, the big picture!

Just a personal note, Dairylander, what do you do? I'd like to get a better feel for ya :-)

Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
I HATE granite countertops...
I rarely hear that from people. What do you prefer? Manufactured stone? Solid surface synthetic?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Anything that has been in place for years and won't pollute through unnecessary manufacturing or outgass into our indoor air environment and affect our health. There are many ways to "upgrade" your home without destroying the planet or your health in the process. You can use various techniques with found and recycled/repurposed materials for countertops and other areas of the home, all of which have minimal impact on the world and the living things in it! And no, anything forcibly sliced out of the deep layers of the earth isn't acceptable for aesthetics in my opinion. We try not to buy synthetics in our household, I do not support manufacturing of unnatural materials - however if they are already made and the company is not profitting from the re-use of the materials in order to make more of said materials, I think it is wise to use items that have already been made by repurposing or reusing them. It was pretty shameful in my opinion that people ripped out perfectly fine counters that had been in their houses for years and replaced them with something new and pretty and shiny just for the hell of it :-/ The earth was gutted of that granite somewhere...maybe the radioactivity is just payment ;-)

Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 PM

note: true that some countertops needed to be replaced due to damage, however this was not the case with most I've seen and many could have been resurfaced easily with a little bit of labor and creativity from the homeowner, but in a world of laze, money buys a lot more "shiny factor" than hard work in many cases!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM

My question remains, what do you prefer?
You said you want to fix up a house, I assume that includes a kitchen remodel, so what would you install?
Any natural stone has to be quarried and shipped, the components of concrete counters require huge amounts of energy to make, butcher block requires felling hardwood trees, tile requires a 2,000 degree gas fired kiln, even recycled glass counters have a high pecentage of synthetic resins and binders.
I don't understand how you're going to avoid a manufacturing process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison