Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM

11 posts, read 17,011 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I was just offered a job that would be located in Plaza of the Americas in the North Tower on N. Pearl Street. Could anyone suggest some areas that wouldn't be a super long commute, but would be good for a single, 31 year old female to consider living in. Don't want anything crazy expensive.. would like to keep it around $1500 range, but still want it to be a safe area with some stuff to do for my demographic.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:51 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,188 times
Check out mockingbird flats. You can take the Dart rail to Pearl station right next to your office. They have a one bedroom available for $1100/month

Another option would be Phoenix in the same general area. They have a few units in your price range as well.

Mockingbird station has a lot going on, there's a Kroger grocery right there and you are within walking distance of Greenville Ave.

There are also some newer apartments at 2660 cityplace. A coworker just moved in there and loves it.

Lastly, look along Henderson Ave. A few I know that are getting priced out of uptown have been moving into the new complexes along that area. I'm not sure about the pricing for those, though.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM

164 posts, read 252,604 times
My company has in office in Plaza of the Americas that I occasionally have to go into. I never drive into it and always take the DART rail there. There aren't a ton of places where DART makes perfect sense in Dallas but if you are working downtown and especially in that building, this is one of those instances.

Just look anywhere on a DART line. The Pearl St station literally drops you at the front door of the building, you never have to drive through tons of traffic or pay/search for parking (HUGE hassles if you work downtown). Personally I'd probably be looking at complexes on the Red line right near Cityplace/Uptown, Mockingbird, Lovers Ln, or Park Ln stations. There's also Tyler/Vernon near Bishop Arts but you'd probably need to drive to that one. If you were willing to look a little further out, there's also the new Cityline area in Richardson near the Bush station and the Downtown Plano station. Downtown Plano is definitely an up and coming area (not in the pejorative or "polite" sense, it truly is) and a 31 year old single female would fit in perfectly there. It's about 30-40 minutes on the train but 30-40 minutes where you can read or work on a train is nothing like 30-40 minutes driving through some of the most congested areas of Dallas.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS418 View Post
Hi there-

I was just offered a job that would be located in Plaza of the Americas in the North Tower on N. Pearl Street. Could anyone suggest some areas that wouldn't be a super long commute, but would be good for a single, 31 year old female to consider living in. Don't want anything crazy expensive.. would like to keep it around $1500 range, but still want it to be a safe area with some stuff to do for my demographic.

Thanks in advance!
Your budget allows you to find something nice and close. There are a lot of great neighborhoods within a mile or two, and downtown itself has a lot of great buildings. Downtown Dallas has really improved over the last few years, and there are thousands of young professionals living there now. There's also a good amount of restaurants and retail. The parks in Downtown are usually pretty busy with downtown residents walking their dogs, and the neighborhood has a really good sense of community. There is some crime, but that's something hard to avoid in any big city. Normal precautions can almost eliminate anything from happening though. Just be aware of your surroundings.

https://www.camdenliving.com/dallas-...farmers-market

Dallas Arts District Dallas, TX Apartments For Rent | The Arts

Luxury Apartments in Dallas ? Elan City Lights

Mercantile Place

Post Properties

One Dallas Center | Luxury High Rise Apartments in Downtown Dallas

Arts District Apartments in Dallas | Olympus at Ross

Luxury Apartments in Downtown Dallas Texas | LTV Tower Apartments

A little further out from Downtown, but nice small buildings:

Apartments for rent in the Historic District of Downtown Dallas | Power Properties

Indio Management Property

Apartment locators offer a free service to renters here, and might be helpful in finding a deal. They've been hit or miss for me, but may be helpful. Make sure to clearly specify the area you want. If you don't really specify an area they'll throw darts at a map, and make you look all over, which can be information overload. I know the area and buildings as good as most of them, but sometimes they have insider knowledge on deals, and sometimes offer to split their commission. Padmapper.com has a lot of individually owned condos for rent that can be hard to track down if you're unfamiliar with the area, it's map feature is good if you're looking for something close to work.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-17-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM

346 posts, read 730,393 times
I would say look right in downtown, or in Uptown by the cityplace station. Lofts at Mockingbird could also be a good choice. I totally disagree about the Phoenix, though. It's pretty rundown from what I hear, and it's all SMU students.
Also, if you don't want to drive, I'd suggest against Henderson and Bishop Arts as well. Also I think Bishop Arts is totally overrated.
Seems like looking downtown is your best bet. Walking to work would be really nice and close.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
I would look in Uptown or downtown itself. Ronnie posted a good list to get you started.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 17,011 times
Thanks for the information!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
I think you've got good suggestions so far. Living in an central city neighborhood is key. If you can take a DART line into work and have to deal with driving in Downtown, even better! You are lucky you are working in Downtown. A lot of people move to this city from out of state and they are in their 20s or 30s and single. They get a job in a far flung suburb and they either have to choose to live in a far flung burb or have a hideous commute. Consider yourself fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas