Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Currently living in NY and can't wait to get out of here. Need to relocate to Dallas within ~2 months (lease is up end of April). I've been told that a recruiter may be my best option for finding me work in the area. I'm a project manager and mba graduate. Please recommend me a recruiter to get in touch with in the area!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 06:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,333 times
It doesn't work that way anymore in these days of abundant workers chasing few jobs. Search the job boards for positions in Dallas and apply to all that qualify. April is a very short timeline and likely will not find something that fast. Good luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,331,681 times
Using your own network (that's one reason why you got a MBA, right??) and LinkedIn is going to be more likely to land you a job than a random recruiter will. Unless you're in a highly specialized field or in upper management, recruiters will have little interest working with you....because companies have little interest in paying the "finder's fee" when the in-house recruiters can just search on LinkedIn.

Also, agree with pp that April is really tight time-wise. If you made contact with a company's HR recruiter TODAY, you'd be *lucky* to have a May 1st start date. You've got to get through the internal screening process (i.e., HR has to get your resume in front of hiring manager and have hiring manager narrow down candidate to interview), have 1-2 Skype interviews, fly down for an in-person interview, and get through the decision & offer process. When you're juggling multiple people's schedules, it's not uncommon for there to be a 1-2 week gap between each of those steps.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,923,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeljs View Post
It doesn't work that way anymore in these days of abundant workers chasing few jobs. Search the job boards for positions in Dallas and apply to all that qualify. April is a very short timeline and likely will not find something that fast. Good luck.
I just relocated from SC. I reached out to a recruiter the 3rd week in December, had 4 interviews (3 in dallas, 1 in austin) the 2nd week in January, had 4 offers the following week and moved to Dallas 4 weeks later (2 week notice, 2 weeks to move).

*Mechanical Eng. with 9 years and PE.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,333 times
jamiecta - you were 1) lucky 2) in a hot specialty profession 3) timing was right. It doesn't happen like that all the time. I'm a MBA graduate and 5 years ago my resume would open doors. Today it just looks old. Every situation is different. I've been looking since November. Still employed but my position ends Mar 31.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:55 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,923,593 times
i'm sorry to hear that and I hope something works out soon for you. I do know that it varies by industry and skill etc, which is why I tried to provide my background for some extra clarity.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 10,726 times
@topslop1 Are you looking for any specific industry? I have a buddy who is a recruiter in the tech field and may be able to help.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,696 times
I've done PM work for a branding firm / signage company. We've done large scale projects - 500+ offices/retail locations in a single project for re-branding.

Open to just about anything intriguing at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas