Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,445 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I would like some advice please. My family is relocating from Greenwood Indiana to Dallas TX due to my husband's work. He will work near Irving and I have 2 children. One will start Kindergarten and another will start 2nd grade. We are looking for an area where there is a lot of young families, a great school district, looking to find a home in the mid 300k in a newer community and the commute will be roughly 20min to work. Any suggestions? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:05 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovieve1010 View Post
Hello everyone! I would like some advice please. My family is relocating from Greenwood Indiana to Dallas TX due to my husband's work. He will work near Irving and I have 2 children. One will start Kindergarten and another will start 2nd grade. We are looking for an area where there is a lot of young families, a great school district, looking to find a home in the mid 300k in a newer community and the commute will be roughly 20min to work. Any suggestions? Please help!
I'm not sure that what you're asking for exists, unless your definition of "newer" is really loose.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:37 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
One thing about Irving is that it covers a pretty large area. Can you give us a little more precise work location (nearby major intersection, highways, etc)? That would be helpful in determining areas with a short commute as it can take more than 20 minutes to get across Irving itself depending on where you are going.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:19 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post today. I'm sorry, for the lack of details. The job is at Kubota on Amon Carter, in Irving. We have heard from friends that Plano and Frisco have great schools. My aunt lives in Flower Mound and wants us to come to that area. Honestly, there are so many great schools but I do want to be mindful of commute time. Currently my husband has a 35mile, 50min commute to work and although he states that it is ok with the distance/time, we would like it to be less. Traffic here is always pretty light on the most part during his commutes, which has helped. *Numbersguy, You may be right and my "newer" was pretty relative. We probably do not want to live in a home more than 20 yrs old. We have homes over 100yrs old here, and although our current one we built, we would probably can tackle the "finding home" later. I was just wanting some suggestions in good neighborhoods for young families with young kids and good school system in the suburbs that's not too far from Kubota. Thanks!! =D

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post today. I'm sorry, for the lack of details. The job is at Kubota on Amon Carter, in Irving. We have heard from friends that Plano and Frisco have great schools. My aunt lives in Flower Mound and wants us to come to that area. Honestly, there are so many great schools but I do want to be mindful of commute time. Currently my husband has a 35mile, 50min commute to work and although he states that it is ok with the distance/time, we would like it to be less. Traffic here is always pretty light on the most part during his commutes, which has helped. *Numbersguy, You may be right and my "newer" was pretty relative. We probably do not want to live in a home more than 20 yrs old. We have homes over 100yrs old here, and although our current one we built, we would probably can tackle the "finding home" later. I was just wanting some suggestions in good neighborhoods for young families with young kids and good school system in the suburbs that's not too far from Kubota. Thanks!! =D
When some people on this board say "newer" they mean less than 5 years old. I'm guessing you can find something that will work in Plano.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the guess! Much appreciated!!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:

If you are open to slightly older homes (20-25 years maybe), than Grapevine could be an option. Plano and Frisco would be pretty long commutes to that area.

Coppell would work location wise, but not sure about budget.

Flower Mound would probably be a longer commute than you are looking for, but still closer than Frisco/Plano and with newer homes.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 AM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Plano is going to be a fairly long commute, and it will also require a toll road. Honestly, if you can get over wanting a newer house, there are plenty of communities that are closer to his work so he wouldn't have to make that commute. If I recall correctly, Kubota has just broken ground on a new HQ in Grapevine, so his office may be moving in a couple of years.

Coppell would be VERY tough in your price range for a newer house. Look at previous posts here, and you will see what I'm talking about. Bidding wars, multiple offers, etc. It also has some of the highest property taxes in DFW.

Grapevine would definitely work, although the houses in your price range will be about 25-30 years old. Most will have been updated, and will have mature trees, etc. Grapevine schools are also very good.

The north part of Euless (north of MidCities Blvd) has Grapevine schools and will have a few newer houses in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas