Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 PM

88 posts, read 152,376 times

Advertisements

My daughter turned 11 in March. There are only a couple of girls younger than her in her fifth grade class. Some girls are a full year older. Your friend's daughter will definitely not be the oldest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Interesting.

Someone told us they were declining their Greenhill spot, but we suspected they were FOS.
I know of a family with a girl that just turned down the "top academic" school to go to another. I think it happens more than some would imagine.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I know of a family with a girl that just turned down the "top academic" school to go to another. I think it happens more than some would imagine.
stan4's point is some people he knows were probably BSing about turning down a reputationally great school in order to attend a reputationally less great school.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
stan4's point is some people he knows were probably BSing about turning down a reputationally great school in order to attend a reputationally less great school.
I guess I don't get it. Is there something to be gained socially by telling your friends your kid is turning down a spot at Greenhill to go somewhere else that isn't as competitive?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I guess I don't get it. Is there something to be gained socially by telling your friends your kid is turning down a spot at Greenhill to go somewhere else that isn't as competitive?
In my case, it was just simply a conversation topic. The child had offers from multiple places, which was shared before she made a decision. It was brought back up when friends were asking what school she chose. Frankly most people were shocked that she didn't go with #1.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
I'm with you.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Well, there are plenty of reasons to pick a different school. Money, commute, educational philosophy (although if that was really it, why apply there?), etc.

HOWEVER...

You had to follow the thread from the part where someone here said they called the admission office to see about the wait list and was told *everyone offered a spot took the spot*.

What that implies is that since these people claimed to have declined their spot and the admission people said everyone took the spots offered (and therefore were not going to the wait list), they were lying about ever having been offered a spot.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM

167 posts, read 331,898 times
Are we suggesting that Greenhill is #1 ?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, there are plenty of reasons to pick a different school. Money, commute, educational philosophy (although if that was really it, why apply there?), etc.

HOWEVER...

You had to follow the thread from the part where someone here said they called the admission office to see about the wait list and was told *everyone offered a spot took the spot*.

What that implies is that since these people claimed to have declined their spot and the admission people said everyone took the spots offered (and therefore were not going to the wait list), they were lying about ever having been offered a spot.
This interpretation makes way more sense. Lying to say you got into a school that you didn't is stupid, but I at least understand the concept of why someone would do it.

As to whether anyone is implying that Greenhill is #1, I certainly did not mean to. I picked it b/c it's coed and one of the best. But I would never imply that once you get to a certain level of these schools that it's about a definitive ranking so much as a best fit.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
An OP update.

A big phew for me. She talked to the school and they explained her daughter will be in class with several kids of the same age in primer. She will be one of the older ones but certainly not the only one. The April birthdays are considered 'late' in the school year for admissions purposes and are not advanced to first grade automatically especially as new admits.

She feels better now and no longer has any plans to withdraw. She was an early bloomer and is assuming the same fate for her child and was very worried about her child being the one kid in class with...'features' as she had some grief in middle school due to that fact. I say kids in this school will have too much homework to notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: