Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM

230 posts, read 398,541 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

I need some advice from those of you who may had to deal with foundation issues. I know in DFW area the question is not "If" it's "When". In August of last year we had significant water leak located almost in the middle of our house. It took plumbing company a while to locate it despite advanced diagnostics they used. Even after drilling through the slab they could not access, what turned out to be a leak, and they had to dig a tunnel from the side of the house. Our home owner' s insurance picked up quite a bit of it but the deductible was about $4K or 1% of house price. We also noticed some cracks on the ceiling almost exactly above where the leak under house was. I'm not sure if they are related, but what would you recommend we do? Have foundation company come out here first or call insurance first? I'm not even sure they will cover it if it's a real foundation issue? Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
If you're in the Denver area, then be aware that bentonite soil (expansive clay soil) problems exist throughout the area.

Depending upon the water table, the foundation prep, and moisture mitigation control that may have been developed in the site, there can be significant foundation/structural issues resulting in house damage. A leak could be the source of moisture which causes structural problems in the foundation, shifting in the house structure causing "cracks" to appear, and so forth.

IMO, you'd need to call in the foundation "experts" in first to determine the extent of the problem, if any, that your house is having. IF there's a significant structural issue or damage, then your next call is to your insurance company for a possible claim. Of course, you need to have the appropriate coverage in your homeowner's policy for such a claim.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:54 PM

Default Ooops

I'm sorry folks. This was meant for Dallas forum.

Re-posting there.

Thank You.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM

Default Potential foundation issues?

Hi Everybody!

I need some advice from those of you who may had to deal with foundation issues. I know in DFW area the question is not "If" it's "When". In August of last year we had significant water leak located almost in the middle of our house. It took plumbing company a while to locate it despite advanced diagnostics they used. Even after drilling through the slab they could not access, what turned out to be a leak, and they had to dig a tunnel from the side of the house. Our home owner' s insurance picked up quite a bit of it but the deductible was about $ 4K or 1% of house price. We also noticed some cracks on the ceiling almost exactly above where the leak under house was. I'm not sure if they are related, but what would you recommend we do? Have foundation company come out here first or call insurance first? I'm not even sure they will cover it if it's a real foundation issue? Thank You in advance.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
The water could have caused expansion in the frame of your house, resulting in cracks.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:01 PM

283 posts, read 404,577 times
Digging the tunnel might have further cause the stress on the drywall sheetrock.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
I'm sorry folks. This was meant for Dallas forum.

Re-posting there.

Thank You.
Moved to the Dallas Forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:31 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
It sounds like it's cosmetic from the house resettling in it's footprint. Did the foundation company do any actual foundation repair? They are not going to fix cosmetic issues that come from moving the frame. Insurance also doesn't (usually) cover the cosmetics. You should wait a few months and allow the house to settle, otherwise you'll find yourself repairing cracks multiple times. I would let one year of seasons go by so you can see the wet and the dry time, as some will correct itself.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
First thing to do, after waiting to see what happens, is to call a structural engineer. They have no vested interest in finding problems or not.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
1. I would wait and see if the cracks change. A small crack or two is not a big deal. Most foundation settling is cosmetic, nothing more.

2. The last person I would call if I wanted an honest opinion of a foundation situation is a foundation repair person. This is sort of like asking a real estate agent if now is a good time to buy or asking an insurance salesperson if you need more insurance. The answer will be yes. As stated above, a structural engineer would be a good bet if you believe you have a problem. However, depending on the extent of the cracking, I would wait a bit. If the cracks don't change, and you don't notice any other signs of foundation movement, I would simply fix the cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: