Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:13 PM

57 posts, read 142,777 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Duncanville and I am in the information gathering stage about the area. I have been to the DFW area before, but it has been a while and I do not know the area well enough to know the best areas to live. While I would be working in Duncanville, my wife would either be working at the UNT Health Campus in Ft. Worth or UT-Southwestern in Dallas. The goal is to keep both of our commutes under 30mins each way.
There isn't a preference on a city to live in. The main things we are looking for is a safe area where crime is not an issue, amenities nearby (restaurants, grocery stores, breweries, etc.) and easy access to recreation (lakes, biking or hiking). Currently we are looking at Southwest Dallas, Grand Prairie, and Cedar Hill. Any information or input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
There's no way that your wife's commute from Duncanville to either of those places will be under 30 minutes. I'd say it's closer to 45 minutes or an hour.

What's your budget for housing?
Are public schools important?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 AM

No kids, so schools don't matter. We will be looking to buy a home once we get to know the area a bit. We would like to stay under $250k, but can stretch that if necessary to $300k. I've seen some nice homes in Arlington and it seems like there is quite a bit to do there. Plus it's between Dallas and Ft Worth, so that would be nice.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:16 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
If the job is at UNT Health in FTW, then Arlington or Mansfield would work. If the job is at UT Southwestern, then Cedar Hill or Dallas is a better match. Consider North Oak Cliff in Dallas!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM

If schools don't matter, then Arlington will be a good option.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If schools don't matter, then Arlington will be a good option.
That's good to hear! I'm liking Arlington because I feel like you could get the best of both worlds (Dallas & Fort Worth) with it essentially being between the two cities.

What are the recreation options like there? I see that there are quite a few lakes. Are any good for swimming?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post
That's good to hear! I'm liking Arlington because I feel like you could get the best of both worlds (Dallas & Fort Worth) with it essentially being between the two cities.

What are the recreation options like there? I see that there are quite a few lakes. Are any good for swimming?
Living in Arlington is probably not a bad option for your commutes, but I would set your expectations appropriately. It won't be like having the best of both cities. The reality is that it just means that neither will very convenient. There are some decent outdoor recreation areas in Arlington, although Cedar Hill is better in that regard. I'm not sure whether any of the lakes in Arlington are good for swimming.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Living in Arlington is probably not a bad option for your commutes, but I would set your expectations appropriately. It won't be like having the best of both cities. The reality is that it just means that neither will very convenient. There are some decent outdoor recreation areas in Arlington, although Cedar Hill is better in that regard. I'm not sure whether any of the lakes in Arlington are good for swimming.
Thanks for the info. I definitely see your viewpoint on both cities being out of the way. Although it seems like Arlington has enough amenities to stand on its own. Right now we are torn between Arlington and Southern Dallas. If anyone could offer some pros and cons between the two that would be fantastic!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 AM

Parts of southern Dallas can be high crime, so check the crime maps before making a decision.

Personally, I don't swim in lakes. I know Joe Pool Lake is very popular for recreation.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM

I have also heard quite a bit about Irving. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas