Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM

385 posts, read 489,141 times

Advertisements

I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I was offered admission to the following business schools. I've been working in Texas for years now and I have no plans on working anywhere else. However, after receiving MBA admissions decisions and merit aid offers, I have to decide between the following:

Yale (#8, $200K)
Cornell (#14, will cost $120K out of pocket)
USC (#31, $80K out of pocket)
SMU (#45, $90K out of pocket)
Baylor (#57, $45K out of pocket)

I was wait listed at UT-Austin and Rice. I'm not sure how that happened considering the Yale and Cornell acceptance.

Considering the debt I'll take on at each school, my gut tells me that SMU Cox is the best choice if I want to stay in Dallas, but I'm not sure if it's worth the additional $45K over Baylor. I'm expecting my salary to increase by $25-30K after graduating. When I run the numbers, the difference in student loan debt will be marginal in the long run, but for some reason it's hard for me to stomach adding $90K in debt.

Even though it is my worst option (based on rankings alone), it is also the least expensive. Would Baylor be a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I would go SMU. It carries a lot more cachet than Baylor in Texas.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
The answer to this question depends on what industry you plan to go into, and what industry you work in now.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM

385 posts, read 489,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
The answer to this question depends on what industry you plan to go into, and what industry you work in now.
Finance. I'll stay in that industry as well.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Finance.
SMU as long as you're positive you're staying in Dallas. Otherwise Cornell. If there's absolutely anything you can do to get yourself off the waitlist at UT, that is truly your best bet because you'll gain a great TX network but it also will carry weight outside Texas if you ever need to leave for whatever reason. The same cannot be said of SMU.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
Congrats on all the admits and wait lists!

Part of the equation here is lost wages. For SMU you can potentially go part time. Even if you are full-timer realize that a lot of elective classes are designed for part-timers and will be in the evenings or weekends and you will be in class with part time students anyway after the core classes.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Congrats on all the admits and wait lists!

Part of the equation here is lost wages. For SMU you can potentially go part time. Even if you are full-timer realize that a lot of elective classes are designed for part-timers and will be in the evenings or weekends and you will be in class with part time students anyway after the core classes.
I would not suggest doing an MBA program part time if you are doing it for finance, unless your employer is paying for it.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM

66 posts, read 76,809 times
In an ideal world, you can't beat Yale or Cornell. Their perceived prestige and network, really moves you to a higher tier and better start.

In your case, you don't want to invest that kind of money and wish to settle in Texas so SMU and Baylor make more sense. Usually, Baylor is better if you want to go in health or pharmaceutical industry and SMU is best for finance guys.

Frankly, you can't go wrong with either. Baylor would be cheaper in your case and cost of living in Waco is less. I know that they get a lot of bad press but Waco is really on an upward trajectory. SMU has better network in business industry and Highland Park is a great place to live.

By the way, UT probably knew that you'll have better options and may reject their offer.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM

66 posts, read 76,809 times
Quote:
I would not suggest doing an MBA program part time if you are doing it for finance, unless your employer is paying for it.
That's good advice, unless it's an executive MBA, paid by the employer, you should consider full time.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
Quote:
Curious what your rationale is? Part time at SMU is entitled to the same recruiting as full time. Has the same professors as full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: