Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,352 times

Advertisements

Wanted to hear everyone's ideas on the residential areas around and behind fair park. Does anyone else see the area getting nicer and more cleaned up in the next five years? With whats happening in East and West Dallas, is south Dallas going to be next to be gentrified? With how close it is to Downtown, and with as many homes that are in the area it's hard to imagine the area not being overtaken sooner or later. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,786,665 times
If you have a 5 year horizon you are going to be disappointed.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnomnomnom View Post
Wanted to hear everyone's ideas on the residential areas around and behind fair park. Does anyone else see the area getting nicer and more cleaned up in the next five years?
More cleaned up? Yes, a lot of non-profits are working in that area. Nicer to the point I'd buy property there, or have any reason to go other than the Fair or a musical? Nope.

Quote:
With whats happening in East and West Dallas, is south Dallas going to be next to be gentrified? With how close it is to Downtown, and with as many homes that are in the area it's hard to imagine the area not being overtaken sooner or later. Any thoughts?
I think the gentrification will continue generally along the lines of where the better public schools are- ie, other schools in Woodrow Wilson feeder pattern like Sanger and Mount Auburn, maybe the Bryan Adams feeder pattern with the strength of Hexter and Lochwood real estate gwtting so expensive, maybe another elementary close to Rosemont inNorth Oak Cliff will "pop".

I also think for condos and apartments that the Design District will eventually run together with Trinity Groves and Sylvan 30- a second uptown west of 35.

North of downtown, it will be interesting to see what happens with the "Midtown" project (east of 75 near Meadow) and the redevelopment of what is currently Valley View into a mixed use project. Both projects are adjacent to areas that could gentrify if the projects are successful.

South Dallas? Possibly not in my lifetime and I'm not that old.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,948,327 times
I agree with TC80. Fair Park didn't get the way it is overnight, and it's going to take just as long to clean it up.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,428,748 times
I also think 5 years is too short - towards Love Field and across the Trinity in the Trinity Groves area are the next areas to be redeveloped around downtown. Unless something dramatic happens in terms of Fair Park or the State Fair.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I also think 5 years is too short - towards Love Field and across the Trinity in the Trinity Groves area are the next areas to be redeveloped around downtown. Unless something dramatic happens in terms of Fair Park or the State Fair.
Dallas' Time managing Fair Park May Be Drawing to a Close | Dallas Observer

There is this, not sure if it will help though.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,786,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
maybe another elementary close to Rosemont inNorth Oak Cliff will "pop".
If you're trying to "bet" on an area to gentrify (a very risky proposition), I'd probably look at the potential conversion of Hogg into a STEAM school of choice. If the interest in Bonham is any indication, I'd bet that Hogg as a STEAM school would be highly sought after (citywide and in Oak Cliff). The trick is that the attendance zone is small and already getting pricey due to proximity to Bishop Arts, and much of it has been re-zoned for apartments due to the street car project and desire for density. That pushes you into either Reagan or Bowie attendance zones to take advantage of the Hogg conversion, and even at that you'd just be hoping the Adamson feeder pattern gets preference at Hogg.

You can see why betting on gentrification to change an area and increase property values is a gamble. Meanwhile, there are still so many un-gentrified neighborhoods and properties in Dallas that are close to the urban core. Your assumption that they are in short supply and would therefore HAVE to happen in South Dallas is incorrect.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:13 PM

So what i'm seeing is 5 years, probably not. What about 8-10 years. Is this area always just going to be a rough part of town?

Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times
Quote:
So what i'm seeing is 5 years, probably not. What about 8-10 years. Is this area always just going to be a rough part of town?
No one has a crystal ball. I'm curious as to the root of your questions- are you thinking about buying land down there? Or just curious?

Even if the neighborhoods adjacent to Fair Park gentrified, the entire area is surrounded by a cesspool of violence, drugs, gangs, poverty, and blight. It just has SO FAR to go. Not to say never- even parts of the South Bronx are gentrifying now, but that has been 25 years in the making.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,914,990 times
No. Just no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: