Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Why are we comparing Texas to Illinois drivers? I've lived in TX most of my life and there are large swaths of the state I've never driven to.

This data is old, apparently only updated every 5 years. But at least historically Dallas and DFW are not dangerous places to drive.

Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths in Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2009

ETA - According to the .gov Dallas rates a 79 so far as fatalities (0 being awful - 100 being great).

https://www.transportation.gov/trans...ool/indicators

The take aways are we have room for improvement but between the relative lack of all types of wrecks, for a big city, and the relatively low number of fatalities, again for a big city, all the stories about how Dallas has the terrible drives isn't supported by any data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
No it does not but it does follow that more congestion leads to slower driving which may lead to more accidents (Boston in the Allstate list is last-most car accidents) but leads to less deaths (Massachusetts in your list is last-least deaths).

So as you can see from these two charts, quality of drivers has no bearing on number of deaths. If it did, then Boston would be up there for the least number of accidents, not near the most.
You know, you bring up an interesting point... what do the actuarial tables look like, do insurance rates for an individual go up in Dallas and down in Chicago? In other words, if I relocate to Texas, do my rates immediately change one way or the other? If so, why?

Quote:
Why are we comparing Texas to Illinois drivers?
Context

This entire thread is about the perspective of outsiders driving in Texas, or at least that's how I took it.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
ETA - According to the .gov Dallas rates a 79 so far as fatalities (0 being awful - 100 being great).

https://www.transportation.gov/trans...ool/indicators

The take aways are we have room for improvement but between the relative lack of all types of wrecks, for a big city, and the relatively low number of fatalities, again for a big city, all the stories about how Dallas has the terrible drives isn't supported by any data.
Did you catch this post about the IIHS data?

We might be talking about different things though, if the point of this thread is relative safety (comparing A to B), there are plenty of people that have evidence-backed claims that Dallas driving is worse than where they came from. There are also other people that have the opposite experience, they notice it's much safer than where they came from.

It's all relative IMO. People just tend to notice the negative more than the positive ("why does everyone complain about X??")

Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Did you catch this post about the IIHS data?

We might be talking about different things though, if the point of this thread is relative safety (comparing A to B), there are plenty of people that have evidence-backed claims that Dallas driving is worse than where they came from. There are also other people that have the opposite experience, they notice it's much safer than where they came from.

It's all relative IMO. People just tend to notice the negative more than the positive ("why does everyone complain about X??")
I agree with your thesis then. But the OP seems genuinely worried that driving around Dallas is like a bumper cars match.

The takeaway is on balance especially among the car-centric big cities Dallas shows up pretty well statistically.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Wherever you go in the US, newcomers to that area claim "the worst drivers ever", while locals deny it, and at the same time other locals take a sort of perverse pride in "we're the worst drivers anywhere - not me personally, of course, but all those other idiots".

I call BS on the whole shootin' match.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:06 PM

374 posts, read 549,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Dallas drivers are aggressive, but better than most other places I've lived. FL was the absolute worst.

I wouldn't worry too much. I would, however, get an SUV or truck to commute in until you get used to what traffic is like. You have to be extra alert when driving a small vehicle, as there are tons of big trucks and SUVs here and they can be quite dangerous when driven by a poor driver.
I agree. I lived in south FL for many years. Rude, crazy drivers. Now that I'm back in Dallas I feel like everyone drives too slow here! I guess I got too used to the crazy FL ways of the road. Speed up people!!! LOL

Old 04-19-2016, 04:51 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
This made me lol...

"Never use turn signals before attempting a lane change, as this indicates weakness and will cause alpha drivers to close ranks and force you to drive all the way to Waco as punishment."
LOL! Pretty spot on!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wherever you go in the US, newcomers to that area claim "the worst drivers ever", while locals deny it, and at the same time other locals take a sort of perverse pride in "we're the worst drivers anywhere - not me personally, of course, but all those other idiots".

I call BS on the whole shootin' match.
You make a good point. I think drivers in major cities everywhere have gotten worse, more aggressive, and less kind. Driving in Dallas is certainly a different experience nowadays from how it was when I was a kid learning. And the perverse pride (I like that) in boasting having the worst drivers is just bizarre to me! I'm frightened on the roads in cities. Don't want to be. I love long road trips, but find city driving everywhere to be downright scary.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:10 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
I was going to say bad things e.g. inability to drive in rain, even worse in ice/snow, multiple cars making a left turn on red (3x3 cars today), etc., but on the other hand, nobody here has passed me at 50-60 mph on the right, going on the sidewalk, so yes it could be worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas