Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,582 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I really need your advice!

Two options:

1) North facing apartment on the third floor
2) South facing apartment on the top (4th floor)

This apartment has been recently renovated.

We want a lot of natural light during the day, so prefer the South facing unit, but heard that the top floor apartment in Texas may charge too much electricity bill. I am aware that the sunlight is "indirectly" getting into the South facing unit, but worried it is on the top floor. The North facing unit would be darker during the day but probably less electricity bill?

What would you choose? Please leave a comment for my family.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Generally in Texas in my opinion, north facing is better because with south facing in the summer, you will need the shades drawn to stop glare and to control the temperature. North facing you should be able to leave your shades open, and will still get plenty of sun if they are not blocked by anything outside.

In most states, south facing is better, but Texas is an exception.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
North for sure. I had a south-facing 2nd story apartment for a few years and the sun was brutal during the summer, even when the blinds were closed. My electricity bill was always really high in the summer too.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
The direction they face wouldn't sway me in this instance, as I'd always rather have a top floor unit than have to listen to someone walking above me all the time. Apartments are built cheap and even someone walking normally above you can sound like an elephant from the unit below.

That trumps any concern of temperature to me.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
No question NORTH. I own a condo in Dallas on 2nd floor facing north. Lighting is great. I moved from a house facing south and am much happier with lighting at all times of the day.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 8,885 times
I'd choose whichever direction gets DirecTv and the Sunday Ticket. I'd also get as close as I could to the bottom floor unless of course you have an elevator in the building.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
If u work outside home then U aren't home much before 6pm and drapes could stay drawn during hottest part of day...

Noise could be big drawback if you have loud neighbors in apt over you

Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,582 times
My wife and daughter will spend the most of time at home. The concern I have is electricity bill + my daughter cannot stand with hot temperature. She sweats like raining when it is above 80. My wife wants a lot of natural light but after reading the comment above, I guess lighting is also great in units facing North.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Forget south-facing. Texas summers are brutal.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 AM

111 posts, read 238,061 times
Generally south facing windows do not receive significant sunlight during the summer in North Texas.

The sun is high enough in the summer sky to be mostly blocked by even a small canopy or shade structure above the window. The sun may hit the windows, but the severe angle prevents it from penetrating into the room. East and (especially) west facing windows receive much more direct sun and heat in the summer here.

During the winter months of course, south facing windows receive quite a lot of sun. The biggest issue I've seen is during the month of September - when the sun is low enough in the sky to reach south facing windows, but it is still quite hot here.

Now if the windows are not true south - but slanted slightly east or west, then you could receive a good dose of sun in either the morning or afternoon.

I love natural light, so personally I would choose the south facing window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas