Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 9,546 times

Advertisements

Ok so this is another post about relocating.ihave been reading this board for a month so yes i have searched the board

I will be working in Westlake but prefer
To live between fort worth and dallas.
I love to feel like im in a big city with
Lots to do around me and my employer says
They are moving thier office
Next year so i want to have easy access
Should they move or if i get a new job in dallas
Because they yend to pay more .

Here is the situation:

We are in our mid 30's love kids museums, movies in the park, trampoline places, splash pads, pools

3 kids all under thr age of 8 so schools are important but to be honest it doesnt have to be top notch as we cant afford to stay in those areas.

Our budget is under $1800 for a 3 bedroom
I dont mind an apartment or townhome but alot of them have scary reviews from doing research online

Hubby is going to school with the GI Bill so i dont want to be too far from a community college

Our arrival date is Aug 1st. Hubby is going out this weekend to view some properties and get a general feel for everything. I do have a friend that stays in fort worth and some coworkers that have given advice but i want to hear from you guys,

Ive been looking at homes in Coppell, Irving, Las Colinas havent found much i like.

I looked at desoto, Grand Prarie, and cedar hil but i dont want to be too far from the action.

My coworkers say Plano and McKinney are too far to commute to westlake

I was told to stay away from Southlake and Flower Mound ( maybe because we are african american ? Coworkers say its a snobby area and something about the police run ins?)

I prefer newer builds anything after 2000 or at least an upgraded energy effecient property if it is older.

Any suggestions?

Im so excited to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Welcome to Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Honestly, your budget is going to be challenging - 3br / $1800 / built after 2000 / good schools. The rental environment in North Texas is tight so you will need to be willing to give on something on your list.

Have you looked in Hurst/Euless area? It might fit the bill. Hopefully, some others will jump in. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Welcome to Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Honestly, your budget is going to be challenging - 3br / $1800 / built after 2000 / good schools. The rental environment in North Texas is tight so you will need to be willing to give on something on your list.

Have you looked in Hurst/Euless area? I. t might fit the bill. Hopefully, some others will jump in. Good luck.
Thank for replying! I havent checked that area but i will thank you.

I noticed its tight for that budget as well, but coming from Arizona its hard to go from paying 1200 for a 3bedroom to paying 2k i mean im sure we would be fine but i figued that price range would give us lots of room to get acclaimated to Dallas first

Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I've not heard ANY racial prejudice/police issues with either Southlake or FloMo, but you won't find anything within your budget in either place, so possibly that's why people are telling you not to bother looking there.

Anything outside of northeast Tarrant, southern Denton, or eastern Wise Counties is going to be a horrible commute to Westlake. Yes, Plano, McKinney and anything in Collin County will be much too far away. Southern Dallas County is the same issue. You need to figure at least 1 minute per mile drive time in traffic, and possibly even more.

I agree you need to look in north Euless, Bedford, and I would add Keller, north Fort Worth, and Grapevine to your list. You really need to increase your budget to $2000 and be willing to look at homes built prior to 2000, especially since you are renting. You might consider using an apartment locator service since the online reviews can be really bad.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I've not heard ANY racial prejudice/police issues with either Southlake or FloMo, but you won't find anything within your budget in either place, so possibly that's why people are telling you not to bother looking there.

Anything outside of northeast Tarrant, southern Denton, or eastern Wise Counties is going to be a horrible commute to Westlake. Yes, Plano, McKinney and anything in Collin County will be much too far away. Southern Dallas County is the same issue. You need to figure at least 1 minute per mile drive time in traffic, and possibly even more.

I agree you need to look in north Euless, Bedford, and I would add Keller, north Fort Worth, and Grapevine to your list. You really need to increase your budget to $2000 and be willing to look at homes built prior to 2000, especially since you are renting. You might consider using an apartment locator service since the online reviews can be really bad.
Thank you so much, do apartment locator services charge a fee? Do you have any you can recommend?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Look in North Richland Hills and Roanoke, too. Pretty good schools.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Keller seems like it would be a fantastic choice

Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I recommend posting in the Fort Worth forum since you'll want to live on that side of the metroplex with a job in Westlake.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Apartment locators' fees are paid by the apartment complex. No charge to you.

Definitely include Roanoke!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I recommend posting in the Fort Worth forum since you'll want to live on that side of the metroplex with a job in Westlake.

Thanks i wanted to stay more in between forth worth and dallas since my employer will move their office next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas