Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:35 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times

Advertisements

It's July and hot, so naturally, our downstairs A/C unit went out. I've not had to deal with this before (pro tip - avoid it if you can), and I was hoping some more experienced folks could offer some guidance.

First, we had the downstairs unit diagnosed and the compressor is bad on the outside unit. When I asked about fixing just that, I was told between $2,500 and $4,000. Does that sound correct?

Second, when I asked about total replacement costs, the guy started talking about replacing ducting, the inside furnace, and everything, and started throwing numbers like $15,000 around. That's BS. I am correct in that all I need to do is replace the outside unit, as my upstairs unit works perfectly fine and so did my downstairs until yesterday, right?

Third, I have an Amana unit downstairs and I hate it. I'm thinking of going with an American Standard. I have a 2-stage right now, 5 ton 16 SEER. Should I stick with the same thing in American Standard, or try a higher SEER or a 1-stage? I'm guessing an American Standard equivalent will run about $8,000 installed - does that seem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 AM

241 posts, read 381,738 times
I replaced my entire outside unit and evaporator coil in the attic for $4900 last year. That included the $135 or so permit from the city of Frisco. The new unit was a 5-ton 14-seer American Standard unit. From what I gathered from researching, American Standard and Trane models are the same, so I replaced the existing Trane with the American Standard for a lot less money. BTW, I also got a quote for a 16-seer American Standard and it would've cost me about $300 more.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
You should just be able to replace the compressor. However, most AC places will try to sell you on a completely new system, which is ridiculous. You may want to buy a new outside unit though, because most places won't warranty their work if you just put in a new part, and you'll also be able to get a more efficient unit as well.

You definitely don't need all new duct work.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
I know far too much about this issue, unfortunately, as a Landlord over the years.

Suggestion: if replacing the outside condenser and it presently is an R22, get a used condenser on Craigslist and have an AC tech do the change out. I know a good guy who can also just replace the compressor. I used to keep some spare compressors and just pay my tech $200 to change it out. You can get the part yourself and just have a tech do the changeout.

If you are replacing the whole HVAC system, of course your new system doesn't need ducting and you should wait if possible until winter AC specials. And you will need the new freon.

What size is your house? What is the age of your system?
DM me if you want my tech's contact info.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
I replaced my entire outside unit and evaporator coil in the attic for $4900 last year. That included the $135 or so permit from the city of Frisco. The new unit was a 5-ton 14-seer American Standard unit. From what I gathered from researching, American Standard and Trane models are the same, so I replaced the existing Trane with the American Standard for a lot less money. BTW, I also got a quote for a 16-seer American Standard and it would've cost me about $300 more.
Hopefully you got an R410 system, as the R22 is becoming obsolete.

But this is a good price. CAn you please DM me the name of the company? I am going to be replacing a system in one of my properties in the late Fall.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:

Can you DM me the company's details?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:46 AM

129 posts, read 237,025 times
Can you DM me the company's details too please?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
What size is your house? What is the age of your system?
DM me if you want my tech's contact info.

It's about 3100 square feet, the majority of which is downstairs and open. The downstairs unit was installed in 2010 and it's a piece of junk. I would prefer it go away entirely, in all fairness.

The company I use has been pretty honest and fair, so this is kind of came out of left field. I have them coming back out to do a full review and recommendation tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem as if 5-ton, 16+ SEER, 2-stage units are all that common, so I may need to call around for different quotes.

Telegan, would you mind DM'ing me the company's information?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 AM

283 posts, read 404,148 times
Quote:
Pls DM me the company contact info. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It's about 3100 square feet, the majority of which is downstairs and open. The downstairs unit was installed in 2010 and it's a piece of junk. I would prefer it go away entirely, in all fairness.

The company I use has been pretty honest and fair, so this is kind of came out of left field. I have them coming back out to do a full review and recommendation tomorrow morning. It doesn't seem as if 5-ton, 16+ SEER, 2-stage units are all that common, so I may need to call around for different quotes.

Telegan, would you mind DM'ing me the company's information?
If you are replacing, make sure you get an R410 system. But a six-year old system really should still be functioning and I would be very hesistant to replace it. Don't let your frustration push you into a hasty decision.

If it worked ok in the past, I seriously recommend you repair it and find someone who will charge you a whole lot less. From your earlier post, it seems like you simply need a new compressor. That whole repair should be under $600 with part and install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas