Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM

641 posts, read 802,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
Had remote start here, once again. Ridiculous. And Fido shouldn't be going somewhere you can't take him in with you, you're the guy that gets his window smashed out by a Good Samaritan and then whines about it!
No, Good Samaritan notices the car is running ... thinks "what a brilliant idea, wish I had remote start" and they continue their day...

The only con of remote start is the minimal cost increase... you can't give any reason besides pollution that it is not a great thing to have...

It's not like ppl remotely start their car for an hour before getting in. Start it up five minutes before getting in, and you will walk from your cooled down house/office/where ever, into the blazing hot sun for 30 seconds, and be relieved as soon as you enter the cabin of your vehicle...

Or walk into the blazing sun, get into a heater box cabin, start your car, watch out for that blazing hot belt buckle, wait a couple mins, and you will cool off.... its just a couple minutes... but to me, its a couple of minutes too many times..

Better to have and not need than need and not have... I've never heard anyone who had remote start complaing in the 100+ degree summer that their remote start is ridiculous(unless it isn't working)... let's not be overly dramatic.. any one with common sense knows that the concept is not ridiculous when its 95+ outside and 110+ in your car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM

92 posts, read 112,995 times
Yes i would tint, it makes a difference. I would not go darker than 35% on the side and back window as it'll make it harder to see out at night.

I'd go ceramic or hybrid metallic tint. The dyed stuff is cheaper but does not reject as much heat and is not as color stable after a few years .

Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I was in the auto glass business for 20 years. Auto glass has a tint built into it from the glass manufacturer. The front windshield will normally have a shade band at the top also.

PPG invented the solar control glass you see in cars now more than 20 years ago. It does block UVL.

There is no reason to add film to glass in your car or house nowadays unless you want it for privacy. It's illegal to add film to your front windshield.

This isn't entirely correct. Automakers may tint the rear windows of SUVs from the factory, but virtually no cars come from the factory with tinted windows, at least not in the sense that people are talking about here. It's always a dealer or aftermarket add-on. And there is a world of difference between any factory "tint" (such as it is) and the tinted windows people are talking about here. Adding the darkest legal tint to my car resulted in a very noticeable drop in overall temeprature if the car is left outside as well as making it quicker and easier to cool in the summer. To say that adding dark tint to your car is solely for privacy reasons is wrong - it absolutely helps make your car more comfortable.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
I was in the auto glass business for 20 years. Auto glass has a tint built into it from the glass manufacturer. The front windshield will normally have a shade band at the top also.

PPG invented the solar control glass you see in cars now more than 20 years ago. It does block UVL.

There is no reason to add film to glass in your car or house nowadays unless you want it for privacy. It's illegal to add film to your front windshield.
The main reason I do it is to block the sun. I rode in my friend's untinted truck the other day and there is a BIG difference between factory windows and Texas-legal tint.

When the car is parked, I don't really think tint helps keep the interior temperature down, but it certainly helps keep the car cooler with the AC running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
This isn't entirely correct. Automakers may tint the rear windows of SUVs from the factory, but virtually no cars come from the factory with tinted windows, at least not in the sense that people are talking about here. It's always a dealer or aftermarket add-on. And there is a world of difference between any factory "tint" (such as it is) and the tinted windows people are talking about here. Adding the darkest legal tint to my car resulted in a very noticeable drop in overall temeprature if the car is left outside as well as making it quicker and easier to cool in the summer. To say that adding dark tint to your car is solely for privacy reasons is wrong - it absolutely helps make your car more comfortable.
I wonder if he's referring to the glass naturally being sort of a tint. Plain glass windows block around 5% of light. I know they don't block UV that well because my left arm has gotten sunburned on trips before.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
And you are wrong. Almost every vehicle in Texas is sold with "Tinted" glass. It may not be as dark / privacy as you want but it is tinted with the new solar control glass just like the glass installed in newer homes and buildings.

Go look at your car and you'll see a green tint in the front drivers glass. The new solar glass almost eliminates the need for window film that was popular 20 years ago. This glass was developed in conjunction to keep cars cool due to the change in Freon 25 years ago.

The only reason to tint glass today is if you want more of a privacy look.

Previous to RE, I owned a partnership in 26 auto glass shops and do know what I say. You might do some research.

Solar Control Low-E Glass | PPG IdeaScapes

This is the same glass used in cars the last 20+ years.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM

422 posts, read 542,611 times
Why does this argument take me back to a couple weeks ago when people were arguing whether shade made the temps cooler!? Haha

Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 AM

212 posts, read 459,680 times
OP, I think the proper context and answer to your question is: Yes, you should get a heat-rejecting window tint which will cost you a bit more but does a world of good here in the Texas heat.

My general philosophy on tint is that you get what you pay for and if you are planning to keep your vehicle for an extended period of time, a high quality heat rejecting tint is the best route to go.

I've taken a few vehicles to Altamere here in Plano and always had the Wincos window tint installed on my vehicles. It's fantastic and I wouldn't use anything else. I've noticed that I can get by with a lighter tint, but due to their superior heat rejection in the film, my car actually felt cooler. I made the mistake previously of trying to save a $100 and get a darker tint, but my car still felt like an oven.

Also, to Rakin's point, yes it is technically true that most vehicles especially passenger windows will come tinted from the factory, but in my experience, I've found heat rejection to be minimal, if non-existant.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:09 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
And you are wrong. Almost every vehicle in Texas is sold with "Tinted" glass. It may not be as dark / privacy as you want but it is tinted with the new solar control glass just like the glass installed in newer homes and buildings.

Go look at your car and you'll see a green tint in the front drivers glass. The new solar glass almost eliminates the need for window film that was popular 20 years ago. This glass was developed in conjunction to keep cars cool due to the change in Freon 25 years ago.

The only reason to tint glass today is if you want more of a privacy look.

Previous to RE, I owned a partnership in 26 auto glass shops and do know what I say. You might do some research.

Solar Control Low-E Glass | PPG IdeaScapes

This is the same glass used in cars the last 20+ years.
That "tint" is worthless. It may make the interior of a car better than the glass of 20 years ago, but there is a material and noticeable difference between the factory "tint" you are referring to (such as it is), and actual tinted windows such as the OP is referring to.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
Quote:
It's illegal to add film to your front windshield.
No, it's illegal to add tint. Film is allowed, as long as it's clear. There are a ton of options for IR rejecting films that are nearly 100% clear.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
One thing you may consider is getting rain guards so you can leave the windows cracked without fear of water getting in when it rains. That way air can circulate. I have them and leave the windows cracked while it's parked. The quality ones are somewhat expensive around $100-125 for the front and rear set but worth it, IMO. I like the Weathertech ones which lock into the window channel. The cheaper ones just stick on the outside with tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas