Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times

Advertisements

I have not read all the responses, but I have encountered bigotry when people find out I'm from Texas (and as has been pointed out I'm not native but I gave birth here to two LOL) not just from other states but Canadians and Brits.

I figure they are probably just small minded or insecure as one thing I have learned in almost 40 years on the planet is people who criticize without knowing you or being to the region are just being overly defensive.

I think if you come here with an open mind and not being critical--because it is NOT Canada or even Ohio (any state could be there) you'll do fine. If you come here wanting to compare, change or find out what you perceive is wrong with the place--you'll more likely than not be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
The primary Dallas newspaper has been running an ongoing story about a group of Chinese acrobats who are stranded in the USA, in Dallas, actually, after their promoter ran out of money. The overriding impression I am receiving is that this big city of 6 million people has opened its heart to the acrobats, mostly young people, and helped them in many ways. They are surprised to experience friendliness of the local people.

Even more remarkable, Texans and Dallasites do not react with bigotry to strangers in need. We do not harbor offensive stereotypes about them, we do not look for justifications and rationalizations to demean them or their country, to try to elevate ourselves by running them down.

Why is this so? Perhaps we are at a moral level beyond all that petty xenophobia? Maybe. More likely, we are such a comfortable and prosperous society that we do not need to attack others. Germany became Nazi between the two world wars because of the harsh and humiliating treatment they suffered from their fellow Europeans. Here in Texas, we don't have that experience of deprivation and defeat that we may see in other parts of the USA, or in Canada.

Do other regions really feel defeat? Yes, if their economy is not as good as Texas', if their people are fleeing to the Sunbelt, if their weather is harsh and opressive... these things lead to a society that hates, at least for some people some of the time.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM

26 posts, read 91,269 times
My husband and I live in California, and our kids live in the DFW area of Texas. The kids left California and purchased a nice home in Frisco. They love it there - good jobs, lots of friends, plenty of things to do. We own two rentals near our kids and are looking into moving there as soon as possible. We have visited several times and were pleasantly surprised with the upscale shopping & restaurants. Everyone was very polite and friendly. The only downside we found was the landscape is very flat and the summers are really hot.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 49,296 times
There is more diversity and tolerance here than most U.S. cities. The Cathedral of Hope in Dallas is a nationally recognized church that appeals to the gay community. Dallas has the second largest gay population in the U.S. and Carrollton is home to the 3rd largest Muslim community in the U.S. Our DA is African American, one of our mayoral candidates last year was openly gay as is our sherriff.

The cost of living in Dallas is (IMO) quite low. I have a great condo in a very safe and convenient area that I purchased last summer for less than $1.50/square foot. Gas (as of this morning) was $3.06 in my neighborhood.

The dining and entertainment in Dallas is not to be beat. We have a huge array of restaurant choices (and not of the chain variety). Mavericks, Stars, Rangers and Cowboys keep the sports enthusiast busy. House of Blues just opened in the new and exciting Victory Park area. There's always something going on at Nokia Theater (Grand Prairie) and Bass Performance Hall (FW).

The job potential here is incredible. We have a very low unemployment rate and median incomes are above average.

It's true that people here sometimes think they're better, smarter, more beautiful. It used to bother me but I guess when I weigh it against the positive attributes of our city, I'm no longer annoyed.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,681 times
Default We did the move you're contemplating.............

Hi - couldn't resist replying to your note --

My husband and I moved from the Niagara region of Ontario to Texas 4 years ago and are living just north of Plano (in McKinney) -- I work in Plano.

The people in TX are very friendly and we love the climate -- I go back to Canada to visit family and friends and while we miss them, we don't miss driving in the bad weather all winter.

We have enjoyed our time here very much and are very happy with our choice of location. McKinney is a rapidly growing city but has retained a lot of small town characteristics. Since it is located on the 75 corridor (would be approx 20 miles t0 635) you might want to consider it. You can be right in Dallas within 30 minutes.

Good luck with your move -- I think with the number of Canadians that are living in Texas we need to form a group in North Texas similar to the one they have in Austin.

Canada will always be 'home' but we are enjoying our time here.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 199,763 times
Default Recycling Bins in Carrollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by recently relocated View Post
I relocated to the DFW area a few months ago from Philadelphia, and unfortunately, I have found it very difficult. There is a big cultural difference - particularly in the suburbs of the midcities where we are now- from the Northeastern part of the country, and it is a huge adjustment. Contrary to the reputation of friendliness that this area has, in my experience it has been the least friendly place that I have lived, partly because everything is so spread out forcing everyone to drive everywhere and that in many neighborhoods people drive to the rear of their homes.

You don't mention if you are a SAHM or if you work outside the home-and this is not meant to be judgemental in anyway-but there also seems to be a huge trend away from women who work in this area, which is extremely disconcerting.

The other thing that was a shock was the fact that religion is discussed very openly-people you don't know will ask you if you have 'found a church' yet--I have never experienced this before and it was strange to me.

Topographically it is flatter than you can imagine. Very very flat with not a lot of areas of interest. If you are into environmental issues at all this area is a bit behind-the place where I am living now doesn't even have pick-up recycling, we have to drive it to a recycling center.

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Basically I'm an optimistic person and tend to get along fine, and will make this work. But I can't imagine that when the opportunity comes to move that I won't jump.

I live in the City of Carrollton, near Addison, and we have two type of garbage bins in our neighborhood--one for recycling and the other for regular household garbage. They are picked up frequently. Any other items that may need to be recycled are placed at the curb for city pickup. They furnish a collection calendar so you know when to put it outside.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,622,022 times
Living in Canada for six years now, and considering returning to Dallas (my hometown) has been interesting. No one here can understand why we would want to return to Dallas (granted, the economy has been undergoing a boom for a long period of time now here in Calgary)...Most people can't imagine why we would want to return to an area so "crime ridden" (as I recall, my next door neighbor and I used to walk at 10:30PM every night and felt completely safe in West Plano) but that is the perception of Canadians about the U.S. They don't see any geographical reason to want to live in Texas (Dallas or Houston) since it's flat (and here they are used to the spectacular Rocky Mountains), they hear about crime all the time and then there is that old stereotype of the Texan with his cowboy hat and large belt buckle chewing on some hay (I swear, where do they get those people on the news from Texas when they broadcast from Texas. Are they actors???). In reality, Dallas is a great place to live. I always felt safe living there, the people are friendly, great shopping and restaurants, great schools, etc so it's just a matter of ignorance. That being said, there is a lot of ignorance of Americans about Canada, too so I guess it goes both ways....Anyway, you can't worry about what others think or let that influence your decision. If you make a trip to Dallas, see what it has to offer, and like it, then go for it and to heck with what anyone says. Hopefully those naysayers will come visit you and realize all Dallas has to offer!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM

23 posts, read 149,764 times
I think a lot of people that say crappy things about TX have never been there or possibly have issues with Bush. I have to laugh because I am a law student and noticed that the top salaries for new lawyers are the same in Dallas and Houston as they are in NYC. Of course, the cost of living is almost twice as much in NYC. When I told this to my friends who live in Manhattan they gave me the classic response of ,"Ya, but then you would have to live in TX." I told them that for the price they paid for their rent, I could build a house that was roughly the size of Manhattan. An exaggeration, but with high salaries, low cost of living and a good family environment, are you really going to discount a state because it's flat, not the prettiest and doesn't have San Diego weather?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walty_14 View Post
I think a lot of people that say crappy things about TX have never been there or possibly have issues with Bush. I have to laugh because I am a law student and noticed that the top salaries for new lawyers are the same in Dallas and Houston as they are in NYC. Of course, the cost of living is almost twice as much in NYC. When I told this to my friends who live in Manhattan they gave me the classic response of ,"Ya, but then you would have to live in TX." I told them that for the price they paid for their rent, I could build a house that was roughly the size of Manhattan. An exaggeration, but with high salaries, low cost of living and a good family environment, are you really going to discount a state because it's flat, not the prettiest and doesn't have San Diego weather?
Thanks. Sounds to me like your able to think things thru and see the plus side to many so-called "negatives". I'd have to agree w/ you about those that are the first to quip, "NEVER live in Texas" are usually the ones that have never in their lives been here much less anyplace outside of their own home state. One can find such comments all over this forum.

Yes, in my own research I've found that salaries here are inline w/ many other areas that are deemed "higher pay". What good is that few extra dollars a month if you can never afford to buy a house, go on vacations, save for retirement and kids college funds.

Not only do we here in Texas have decent weather, lower cost of living and good salaries we can AFFORD to go on numerous vacations a year. We can AFFORD to travel to any state or country we want. We can AFFORD to buy a second home. While those in NYC or San Diego (home of supposedly "THE BEST" weather) get to enjoy their own locale those of us here that know how to budget wisely can experience and enjoy locales all over the world. I'll put up w/ the so-called "flatness" of Texas and our summer heat to know that IF I want to go skiing in the Rockies, Canada, Europe, etc I can afford to do so. Or head to a tropical island getaway with a REAL beach and not have crazy CA traffic to deal with

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
I moved here about a year ago from NY. I love it here. It's depend on what you looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas