Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 AM

12 posts, read 37,142 times

Advertisements

We have an oppertunity to move from Toronto to Dallas. We are considering moving to the Plano/Richardson area as my husband's commute would be to the 635 and 75 intersection. When I look at all the stats - house prices, schools, the CNN rankings (for best places to live) as being in the top 20, the weather - I would take warm over cold!, I am excited about moving. But as soon as I mention that we are thinking about Texas, I get mostly negative comments: from Americans, British and Canadians, people who have been there and who haven't, people from neighbouring states, people who have encountered Racisim and others who would not consider moving there because of the possible racisim. I have come across racisim in almost every city I have lived: London and Toronto included, although not directed at me. What is it really like? I am hoping that if we go it will be much the same as everywhere else - people are people and they vary, you find the people you like. Any input about day to day living - including the weather, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtotexas View Post
We have an oppertunity to move from Toronto to Dallas. We are considering moving to the Plano/Richardson area as my husband's commute would be to the 635 and 75 intersection. When I look at all the stats - house prices, schools, the CNN rankings (for best places to live) as being in the top 20, the weather - I would take warm over cold!, I am excited about moving. But as soon as I mention that we are thinking about Texas, I get mostly negative comments: from Americans, British and Canadians, people who have been there and who haven't, people from neighbouring states, people who have encountered Racisim and others who would not consider moving there because of the possible racisim. I have come across racisim in almost every city I have lived: London and Toronto included, although not directed at me. What is it really like? I am hoping that if we go it will be much the same as everywhere else - people are people and they vary, you find the people you like. Any input about day to day living - including the weather, would be appreciated.
People who think Texas is backwards are still stuck in the 1860s themselves. Dallas has had black mayors, female mayors, Jewish mayors, and gay city councilmen. The current District Attorney is black. And the Dallas County Sheriff is female, Hispanic and a lesbian. It is worthy of note that their minority status was never an issue in the campaign. Would biggoted people elect leaders like this? Of course not!

People who think Dallas or Texas have deep racial issues have a serious problem with either lying or ignorance. Period. Of course, there will be some racial issues. But these issues are not any different from other big cities. In fact, I think Dallas actually has more benign racial issues than cities like Los Angeles and Miami.

Now I'm going to give you a stereotype about Canadians -- they're snobs. Nearly every Canadian I've met thinks they're superior to Americans -- and especially Texans -- in every way. I have a doctorate in law. Yet, I've had upteen Canadians, with high school degrees, tell me what the law in Texas REALLY is. The same is true for other Canadians I know with college degrees. The superiority complex is just unbelievable. If you come here -- or anywhere for that matter -- with such an attitude, you'll not make friends. I know not all Canadians are this way. But it's just something I've noticed. It sounds like the people your listening to have the same problem.

There are parts of East Texas that still have some racial issues. However, every Province in Canada has the same areas. There is no perfect place. But to think all of Texas is still stuck in 1860, is a statement based on ignorance or bigotry.

I love Canada by the way. It's a beautiful country. My wife and I honeymooned at Lake Louise. We can't wait to go back for our anniversary.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 02-26-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Just to clarify - I am not canadian, and I get what you mean about the superiority complex. But the most negative comments I have are from someone who lived in New Mexico - although she admitted that it might in part be a rival state thing. And I don't have an attitude, it is just hard not to listen to friends when you have no experience of a place. This is what I wanted - some strong defence for Texas, although I think you took more offence from my post than I intended.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
People who think Texas is backwards are still stuck in the 1860s themselves. Dallas has had black mayors, female mayors, Jewish mayors, and gay city councilmen. The current District Attorney is black. And the Dallas County Sheriff is female, Hispanic and a lesbian. It is worthy of note that their minority status was never an issue in the campaign. Would biggoted people elect leaders like this? Of course not!

People who think Dallas or Texas have deep racial issues have a serious problem with either lying or ignorance. Period. Of course, there will be some racial issues. But these issues are not any different from other big cities. In fact, I think Dallas actually has more benign racial issues than cities like Los Angeles and Miami.

Now I'm going to give you a stereotype about Canadians -- they're snobs. Nearly every Canadian I've met thinks they're superior to Americans -- and especially Texans -- in every way. I have a doctorate in law. Yet, I've had upteen Canadians, with high school degrees, tell me what the law in Texas REALLY is. The same is true for other Canadians I know with college degrees. The superiority complex is just unbelievable. If you come here -- or anywhere for that matter -- with such an attitude, you'll not make friends. I know not all Canadians are this way. But it's just something I've noticed. It sounds like the people your listening to have the same problem.

There are parts of East Texas that still have some racial issues. However, every Province in Canada has the same areas. There is no perfect place. But to think all of Texas is still stuck in 1860, is a statement based on ignorance or bigotry.

I love Canada by the way. It's a beautiful country. My wife and I honeymooned at Lake Louise. We can't wait to go back for our anniversary.

I think you were reading my mind. I've read recently so many things on peoples misguided views of Texas and Texans that I just laugh. You would think that we still:
Hang people on the courthouse lawn for just giving the wrong look.
Especially if they are a different race. Shock, Texas and Dallas are a melting pot and it has no more racism than any other large city.
Ride horses everywhere.
Do not have electricity or running water.
Large modern grocery stores do not exist in Texas (read where one poster was thinking our stores did not have motorized carts?????).
Large modern Department stores do not exist in Texas.
We all wear cowboy boots, belts w/ huge buckles, hats, chew tobacco, etc.
Are uneducated.
Never leave the state (this one is rather funny as I tend to find MORE Texans that travel to other states and countries than I do people from other states). We LOVE our vacations !!!!!! We also have people that actually have to TRAVEL for their job, duh. We are home to one of THE LARGEST airports in the country and for good reason.
There are soooo much more and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

You will also find NUMEROUS posters on every states board here that openly admit that they hate Texas and Texans and have NEVER BEEN HERE! Just more stereotypes that they believe. And they call US ignorant and uneducated. LMAO!!!!

Funny you mention the law thing and Canadians. I know of one Canadian here in Dallas that is an attorney. Talk about THE MOST arrogant and condescending person I've EVER MET!!! I know many other Canadians and they are all very nice but this jerk gives them all a bad name. I avoid this guy like the plague when I see him and DREAD going to functions that I know he will be at. I really feel for the other people that I know that live here from Canada IF they ever run across someone that has met him before them.

As for these "friends" that are giving you all of this sage wisdom.......... what exactly is THEIR experience w/ Texas and Dallas? I'd take that into account before I took them seriously. Kind of like asking a strict vegan the best way to prepare a steak and taking their word as gold.

If you have the time I'd highly recommend a nice long visit but make sure to leave any and all preconceived notions at home. Come w/ an open mind and I'd bet you will be PLEASANTLY shocked.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtotexas View Post
Just to clarify - I am not canadian, and I get what you mean about the superiority complex. But the most negative comments I have are from someone who lived in New Mexico - although she admitted that it might in part be a rival state thing. And I don't have an attitude, it is just hard not to listen to friends when you have no experience of a place. This is what I wanted - some strong defence for Texas, although I think you took more offence from my post than I intended.
I didn't take any offense to your post. You've never been here. I'm focusing on what your friends have said about Texas. They're incredibly wrong.

If your friend has ever been to Dallas, Houston or Austin she is bold-faced lying. If she hasn't, she's basing her tall tales on ignorance of this state.

Many people don't like Texas. It is a hegemonic power. We have the most Fortune 500 companies, one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world, and the second most population in the United States. We suck jobs and brains from New Mexico like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't like Texas either if I were New Mexican. It's like the ugly sister hating the pretty one. Ugly will make up stories about Pretty, just to make herself feel better.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,455 times
A big problem with TX reputation is also that there is a really hardcore group of intolerant people that keeps electing total idiots into congress and also statewide offices.

The vast majority of Texans doesn't bother to vote and therefore Texas' official representation doesn't really reflect the citizens. I know so many laid back, accepting people who just don't vote...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM

I am glad that you both think we will like it in Texas. We were also considering Boston but after we saw the house prices, changed our minds. That alone would give us a lot more vacation money. I keep imaging a change of lifestyle where we hang out by a pool, palm trees, lots of outdoor activities. It may be a little idealistic. It's been a tough winter here. It is quite startling the difference in people's opinions, it was all postive for Boston, from everyone, peple who had been there and those who had not.And obviously it's not that black and white.

My friend has not been there and is basing her opinions on people she knows that have been that have been there and the Texans she has met, and again has admitted to her own prejudice.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM

493 posts, read 1,763,060 times
I am a Brit currently living in Illinois but moving to Dallas in the summer. We have lived in Dallas and Houston previously and quite frankly can't wait to get back there! Just to give you some background, we have lived in MN, OH, NJ, CA, VA and IL. My own experience is that Texas, Texans and those that live there are a very friendly and open bunch of folks. I love the mid-west but the problem I have here is that you have generations of folk who were born and raised here, met their partners here, worked here and basically not left the mid-west. Whilst that gives you a good sense of community, it is hard to break in as a newcomer. I never had that problem in Texas as you have Texans who are friendly towards you and also a lot of 'incomers' from other areas who know how it feels to be the new kid in town. My seventh grader told me that when she mentioned to her classmates that we were moving back to TX, they all told her that they didn't like Texas or Texans. These are 13 year olds who guess what, haven't even been to Texas. I guess they are listening to their parents who erm, perhaps also haven't been to Texas. I really don't get what people have about TX or indeed the South. In the UK we have the North/South divide. I'm from the North but people from the South think they are better than people from the North. Of course us Northerners know we are better

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I'm Scottish, my husband's father is from the North, his mum Irish, we used to live in London, I know all about how people from one area will perceive another! At one point we lived in Essex, and there was a lot of racisim and ignorance. I knew someone from the town we lived in and that said even she would never go back after she left! This is what we were hoping to avoid in Texas. I am glad to hear your opinions, I want to be excited about the move. Which area of Dallas were you in?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

By the way, I would suggest you look in Lakewood, on the east side of Dallas. I've posted some photos of the area on several pages of the below thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...od-photos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas