Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

493 posts, read 1,764,742 times

Advertisements

We lived in Flower Mound. We loved Grapevine and Fort Worth. The Stockyards are a really fun thing to do at the weekend. When we move we are thinking of either Coppell, Grapevine or Colleyville. Flower Mound was great and we have good friends that are still there but for a commuting aspect it probably won't suit aswell now. Plano is very popular as is Frisco for newbies. I lot of people from my husband's job currently live there.
We used to live in Essex back in the 90s, in South Woodham Ferrers. Before we moved there we were told that the people were 'common', no class etc etc. We got there and the countryside where we were was gorgeous, everyone was friendly and we had the best neighbours ever. As nice as they were, they had warped ideas about the North though.
Are you definately moving to Dallas or just thinking about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 37,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
By the way, I would suggest you look in Lakewood, on the east side of Dallas. I've posted some photos of the area on several pages of the below thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...od-photos.html
Looks like a dump - only kidding. How much are those houses? Looks like they might be Boston prices.

Thanks, I will look into it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
We lived in Flower Mound. We loved Grapevine and Fort Worth. The Stockyards are a really fun thing to do at the weekend. When we move we are thinking of either Coppell, Grapevine or Colleyville. Flower Mound was great and we have good friends that are still there but for a commuting aspect it probably won't suit aswell now. Plano is very popular as is Frisco for newbies. I lot of people from my husband's job currently live there.
We used to live in Essex back in the 90s, in South Woodham Ferrers. Before we moved there we were told that the people were 'common', no class etc etc. We got there and the countryside where we were was gorgeous, everyone was friendly and we had the best neighbours ever. As nice as they were, they had warped ideas about the North though.
Are you definately moving to Dallas or just thinking about it?
It was Romford. It was the only place I have lived that I did not like, saying that we had few nice friends, but they are no longer there! The neighbours stole our mail. We has 2 friends beaten and attacked for no reason other than waiting for a train. The company I worked for had groups of people making racist comments daily. The people I worked with in London from Essex were nice.

Nothing is definite, but at this point I would say the transfer is likely. It's a waiting process at the moment. If it falls through then we would probably head to Houston or Boston. The close family we have here are leaving Toronto, and we can almost write our own ticket for where we want to go, but some places are easier than others.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 56,037 times
Well might as well throw in my 2 cents. I have grown up in the suburbs of Dallas and Ft. Worth all my life....actually considering a move since I prefer cold to hot and when its like 60 and 70 in Feb....thats a problem for me! Anyway, Dallas is affluent as most other major cities. There will always be racism though, but far from a widespread problem. I WILL say that the more you travel outward from the city and go to small towns, that is where you encounter the closed minded people. Ft. Worth is quite a bit more conservative, but hardly oppressive. Most people hate Texas because the state does have a lot to offer. You can pick the city to fit your needs and every region has a totally different feel and climate. No state income tax is nice too. I would say to spend a solid week checking the ENTIRE metroplex to get a feel.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

I strayed into Dartford once, that wasn't nice either.

We nearly moved to Boston, my husband visited the area and loved the small-town feeling in the suburbs. The move was either Houston or Boston and after a trip back home and experiencing the great British weather, I just couldn't move north east, which is why we ended up in Houston. I know that Boston is great for culture and a lovely city but it is just too expensive I feel, to live there and coming from the UK, its nice to live somewhere warm and very cheap. Have you looked at what you can get for your money in the Dallas and Houston suburbs? Its amazing.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

583 posts, read 2,638,606 times
When we made our annoucement that we were also moving to Texas we got the same response. I pretty much thought Dallas was going to be a treeless, blond and busty, and snobby area to move to because that is what the preception is. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised there are a TON of trees, most everyone is very nice, and whatever it is people don't like about Dallas we have not found it. Of course I have run into some 'special Texas Mom's' who make me laugh and they almost ALWAYS leave me with a good story to tell my friends but I have have only met 1 person that was just a plain old beyoch. (can I say that??) Since you have lived in other big cities (and I assume happily) I am sure you will make a smooth transition. It is not as scary as everyone makes it--well maybe in 5:30 Friday traffic it is!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtotexas View Post
Looks like a dump - only kidding. How much are those houses? Looks like they might be Boston prices.

Thanks, I will look into it.
The average price of a house in Lakewood is $500,000. But there are some nearby areas that are cheaper. This area of town has a bohemian laid-back vibe compared to the rest of the metro area. And White Rock Lake park is amenity that is really hard to beat.

I would echo the statements made by the poster that the inner-city is more accepting than the outlying areas. That's not to say that the suburbs are racist jerks. It's just that in the City of Dallas an interracial gay couple covered in piercings and tattoos wouldn't get a second look.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
I strayed into Dartford once, that wasn't nice either.

We nearly moved to Boston, my husband visited the area and loved the small-town feeling in the suburbs. The move was either Houston or Boston and after a trip back home and experiencing the great British weather, I just couldn't move north east, which is why we ended up in Houston. I know that Boston is great for culture and a lovely city but it is just too expensive I feel, to live there and coming from the UK, its nice to live somewhere warm and very cheap. Have you looked at what you can get for your money in the Dallas and Houston suburbs? Its amazing.
That is what changed our decision, a question was brought up about why a transfer to Boston and not the other areas the company has larger offices, and we looked into expecting to give a reason why not - then changed our minds. Even though we were looking at the outskirts of Boston, we can get a much nicer house for a lot less money. Which is also less scary than having a large mortgage with the market at the moment. Last year in Toronto we went 6 months with the temperature never rising above 10 celsius. We probably would not be leaving here if it was not so cold (and expensive in the city) - the people have are lovely and have some of the best friends we have ever made.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The average price of a house in Lakewood is $500,000. But there are some nearby areas that are cheaper. This area of town has a bohemian laid-back vibe compared to the rest of the metro area. And White Rock Lake park is amenity that is really hard to beat.

I would echo the statements made by the poster that the inner-city is more accepting than the outlying areas. That's not to say that the suburbs are racist jerks. It's just that in the City of Dallas an interracial gay couple covered in piercings and tattoos wouldn't get a second look.
Google Earth shows a 1 hour commute to the intersection - is that right? We are looking for no more than half an hour.

Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Weather (for me) plays a big part. We are in the north west suburbs of Chicago. It is a great area and Chicago is fantastic but it is just too cold to enjoy at the moment. It does get very hot in Texas in the summer but I'd rather have to adapt to that than the freezing cold temps we have in Illinois. Having said that, today it is very pretty. We had a few inches of snow last night and we have blue skies and sunshine today.
You didn't mention if you have kids and if so do they have a preference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas