Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,140 times

Advertisements

What about Lake Highlands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
You really need to give Uptown/Knox/Hendersen a look-see.

Something you need to keep in mind, because you keep talking about walkable. Dallas has VERY limited walkable areas.

From what you say, I'd look at either the mentioned uptown area, downtown Plano or Legacy/Tollway. Uptown would certainly be the closest to SMU. West Village is in Uptown also and is certainly walkable. Even in these urban "liberal" areas - as a conservative, I can tell you that you'll fell just fine. It's not like we live in California. TX liberals are relatively conservative.

Lake Highlands is nice (it's where I live), but I certainly wouldn't call it hip. But if you're looking for something where you can get a nice house in close proximity to downtown and SMU, then this could be an option for you. There's a new town center being built at Walnut Hill and Skillman. I believe it opens in Fall, 2009. There's also Park Lane Place - at Central Expressway and Park Lane - across the highway from the mall. It's going to be a very cool new mixed use live/work/play area - should have the mix of stores you have described as hip. It's right by the rail station, so you can even walk to the train and ride down to Mockingbird Station which is another area that has logs of shopping/eating options and is walkable.

Doing a 3-month lease at the Villages might provide you a good starting point - near Knox/Hendersen, Uptown, Park Lane Place, M-Streets, Lakewood and Lake Highlands. You can then spend more time in each to see which one calls your name. Each area offers something a little different and at different price points.

Brian

Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
And if I want hip, walkable, trendy....I'm going to have to bite the bullet and chill with the Obamaniacs in the city? Is M streets and uptown pretty liberal?
Lower Greenville Area is pretty much your best bet(part of which goes through The M's. If you want a really high-end kind of chic (though not strictly speaking "hip") area, McKinney Ave (but that's hugely expensive).

Oak Lawn, the city's gay neighborhood, will appeal to you as well, even if more expensive.

Still, if you really want to be bold, the Bishop Arts District, on the opposite bank of the Trinity River from Downtown, seems to be up and coming. It's crime is probably a little higher, but it's more multicultural and probably a little cheaper - plus it's close to downtown, even if you do have to drive there.

So, Dallas's bohemian-convention pattern is pretty much like all medium to large cities: The more liberal you want it, the closer you have to be to downtown - with the oldest continuously middle class residential areas being the most progressive.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Yeah...definitely not the latter. lol. Definitely not. I'm talking Starbucks, SUVs, Old Navy, etc. lol. I guess where I'm from...that IS considered hip.

I was in Plano and it didn't strike me as very interesting at all....it reminded me of any other DFW suburb and not terribly upscale. But I was in East Plano....so maybe that's why it seemed so unspectacular. How is Frisco different from Plano? Is there an area in Plano/Frisco--a particular neighborhood--that would be nice? What would 400 Gs get me?

I loved the stonebriar mall...and I'm sure the kids would too. But what about parks and hiking? And how long of a commute to SMU would it be from Frisco?

What about Las Colinas? Is that in Irving?
You mentioned Littleton. That is Frisco and Plano incarnate. Starbucks, SUVs, Old Navy.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,625 times
Quote:
You mentioned Littleton. That is Frisco and Plano incarnate. Starbucks, SUVs, Old Navy
Ditto that. I think you want Frisco, Allen, or McKinney from everything you've said. They are all bright, shiny, conservative suburbs of Dallas. However, you will find living out there will be quite a commute to SMU.
I live in Lake Highlands and love it. There aren't a ton of coffee houses, restaurants, or the like right in the neighborhood, but you have easy access to all of these within a 5 - 10 minute drive. You are also fairly close to White Rock Lake and Northpark Mall and the Galleria. Lake Highlands feels suburban, but is in the heart of Dallas pretty much with easy commutes to SMU, downtown, museums, etc. I do know a couple of SMU professors whose children attend the school (public elementary) that my daughter will be attending next year. If you want more info on the area -- schools, etc., feel free to PM me.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM

116 posts, read 448,138 times
WestCoDude...teaching in SMU....you do NOT want to live north of LBJ...(I live in Frisco now)...For you.& your work ...it does not make sense! As a native Dallissite-I have lived everywhere!!! Look around Northwest Highway-west of Tollway,...Lovers & Devonshire/Inwood! Amazing families & professionals...walk to Inwood Village.. close to Highland Park Village, Downtown & Arts, beautiful neighborhoods & shopping!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Is there anything in this price range around Snider Plaza anymore?...or Preston Center? You'd like those areas as well; probably even more since they tend to be more conservative.

And the area off Knox, along Abbott (and side streets), near the Katy Trail may have something. There's a nice playground tucked back there behind some tennis courts along Abbott.

M Streets does have some conservative-minded families/parents - I'm thinking of some particular families I know who go to Stonewall...definately conservative. Liberals don't get too crazy...we do have code enforcement afterall....

Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM

9 posts, read 42,065 times
My closest analogy of M Streets would be Wash Park in Denver. Maybe Uptown is kinda is that new construction west of LoDo around REI blending towards LoDo... Greenville wouldn't be the family environ I sense you're looking for.

I'm not that familiar with it, but what about Addison meeting his needs? Not bad to SMU either. I do think Plano/Frisco sound like types of neighborhoods you're looking for.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM

47 posts, read 156,392 times
Inwood Village is a great spot also...not mentioned here.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,701 times
Try Greenville Ave...upper and lower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas