Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times

Advertisements

California native here that's recently located here, do not sale your condo in Cali. I still have my condo as I still go to Cali often due to the lack of options for things to do in Dallas. So you certainly want to keep the option of being able to go back home. I know most Cali people that are relocating here are under the impression they're not going to spend a lot on housing but it's not true and most are going to be disappointed with the lack of options in price range they want. Dallas use to be a bargain a few years ago but not so much now.

The Cali natives I know that are moving/have moved to Frisco and Collin county. I live in the city as I have no interest in living in the suburbs and when kids come, we're sending them to private school. You're going to have to up your budget a bit because that area is newish and realastate is very competitive now with so many businesses moving in. I agree with renting to start out and see how you ajust before committing yourself when you might decide not to stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:48 PM

427 posts, read 494,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
You can try Glendover Park neighborhood in Allen (just off of SR 121 and Exchange Pkwy or Alma Drive) - you can get a good home in your budget, community pool, beautiful park & pond in walkable distance, very good schools, under 20 min commute to Toyota HQ (If you take 121 at Alma or Exchange, straight highway road to Toyota), access to both 75 (free/no tolls, lot of advantage to go to Downtown Dallas, Richardson etc. especially if you can manage off-peak hours) and 121, lots of shopping in 10 min drive including Village at Allen & Fairview, Whole Foods, Allen Outlet Malls, Stone briar mall, Upscale Shopping & restaurants at Watters Creek.
I would recommend driving through the neighborhood, surrounding areas and other neighborhoods (newer ones are around $500K+), check out all the above shopping listed, see the schools, their scores on all tests, statewide rankings etc. and take a decision.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rice-na-400000
Other Glendover Park Neighborhood images
https://www.bing.com/search?q=glendo...ver+park+allen

Overall nice area, with Allen ISD dedicated STEM center coming near by, two nice Athletic Parks and Recreation centers coming by within short distance. I would feel, this neighborhood may fit most of your needs.
http://www.cityofallen.org/documentcenter/view/9354

For pre-schools - there is nice Kids R Kids of West Allen, right behind. For more upscale, you have La Crème De La Crème nearby, Prim Rose pre-schools as well. Sprouts, Kroger, Lowes, Target, Chipotle, fast food (McKinney Towne Crossing) all very near by.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 01-14-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
You can try Glendover Park neighborhood in Allen (just off of SR 121 and Exchange Pkwy or Alma Drive) - you can get a good home in your budget, community pool, beautiful park & pond in walkable distance, very good schools, under 20 min commute to Toyota HQ (If you take 121 at Alma or Exchange, straight highway road to Toyota), access to both 75 (free/no tolls, lot of advantage to go to Downtown Dallas, Richardson etc. especially if you can manage off-peak hours) and 121, lots of shopping in 10 min drive including Village at Allen & Fairview, Allen Outlet Malls, Stone briar mall, Upscale Shopping & restaurants at Watters Creek.
I would recommend driving through the neighborhood, surrounding areas and other neighborhoods (newer ones are around $500K+), check out all the above shopping listed, see the schools, their scores on all tests, statewide rankings etc. and take a decision.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rice-na-400000
Agree. Most of 121 area west of Stacy would be an easy commute.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Welcome to Texas!We moved here from out of state as well and have grown to really like the area.I live in Prosper and work in Plano.We chose Prosper over other areas because the large lot neighborhoods and town atmoshphere made it feel familiar to us coming from Greenwich,CT.Frisco and Plano were absolute nos for us since we wanted to be in a large lot area a bit away from the hustle and bustle.Prosper offered an easy work commute for me and met our want list.We seriously considered Southlake as well,but went with Propser for the location.That was almost 8 years ago and we have loved living here.The community is very active here.People show up for things.That is the best way I can describe Prosper.I have been to town council meetings where there is not a seat left.Parents are very involved in the schools.School spirit is strong.A few years ago residents built their own playground...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pro...152100575.html

http://www.toriihunterproject.com/news.html

I recently discovered Stone Creek in Prosper when I went there with a colleague to look at a house he was interested in purchasing.It is a subdivision of about 115 homes with a lot of trees and homes with nice elevations that were built in the late 90s/early 2000s.Cedar Ridge would also be a great option.Cedar Ridge is located right of first Street in the southern part of Prosper close to the Frisco border.It is a subdivision of 110 homes that were built from 2007-2014.Close to $350,000 in either community is possible.Both subdivisions have quarter acre lot minimums but no community pool.If you were open to putting a pool in eventually,I think either would be a good choice.Examples...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M84013-33803

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M76976-11112

Lakes of La Cima is a popular,larger subdivision located off first street in Prosper close to the Frisco border.Houses built in different phases starting in the early 2000s.The final phase is close to building out now.Community pools,active HOA.Example...

Just listed for $357,000
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-01215#photo2

Last edited by CREW747; 01-14-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 AM

77 posts, read 133,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTXMommy View Post
Not possible for 350K? Geez, how much do they want us to shell out? I'm ok if the home isn't brand new.
Geez, how much did you pay for that condo in California?

I seriously don't get CA people, recently my friend was looking to move from LA to DFW area and made a scouting trip. He lives in a town home less than 1200 Sq Ft with 100 Sq Ft of back yard which he bought for 600 K in LA. When he was here, I showed him a home for 3800 Sq FT for 600K with all good amenities and a decent size back yard and he was complaining that homes are very expensive here.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:05 AM

100 posts, read 135,043 times
I guess people in Texas think everyone from CA will spend over $500K for a house when they relocate here. Isn't Woodland had this problem when Exxon Mobile decided to relocate to there? As of sudden so many >$500K houses were built then the demand was just not there. Maybe I don't remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colts_01 View Post

I seriously don't get CA people, recently my friend was looking to move from LA to DFW area and made a scouting trip. He lives in a town home less than 1200 Sq Ft with 100 Sq Ft of back yard which he bought for 600 K in LA. When he was here, I showed him a home for 3800 Sq FT for 600K with all good amenities and a decent size back yard and he was complaining that homes are very expensive here.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea1982 View Post
I guess people in Texas think everyone from CA will spend over $500K for a house when they relocate here. Isn't Woodland had this problem when Exxon Mobile decided to relocate to there? As of sudden so many >$500K houses were built then the demand was just not there. Maybe I don't remember correctly.
Exactly no one is going to want to spend that kind of money on a medicore home in Texas. If you're going to spend that much money, you might as well stay where you are. People move to Texas to save money and Texas isn't worth spending what you would pay for in California or even close to it. No matter how hard Texas try, it's not nor will it ever be California.

This is also why many of Toyota employees I know decided not relocate to Texas because they weren't going to gain much but was certainly going to loose a lot. I really like the Southlake area but there was no way I would pay the money to live there although I can afford too. It makes no sense for me to even come close to paying what I would pay in California, otherwise what would be the point.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:

Why 3800 sqft? People can live comfortable in house half that size.
Wait until you look at the electricity bill in the summer.
And property tax, if you buy a house with a same price as CA, you pay tax nearly 2.5-3 times as much.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:58 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:

LA has the ocean (granted way too cold for me), and mountains, etc, etc. DFW has "lakes" that frankly speaking you cannot pay me enough to go in for a swim. And 13 hour drive to ski. So, yes, it needs to be cheaper and a LOT cheaper. And it was, until recently. If you spend the same amount of money on a house here, you are going to pay way more in property taxes (twice or more) , insurance (by now, probably 3 times), upkeep, AC (way more). So it would not be the smart to buy a house for the same amount.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
I suggest renting near your work, get oriented to the area. In an year you'll know if Texas works for you or not and you'll know the area better to decide which suburb would work for your lifestyle and taste.

For $350k, you'll have to pick new or cookie cutter, you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's always a good idea to buy in a desireable school district, even if you don't need schools as it gives you better community/home value appreciates better/property sells faster. If you don't believe into that philosophy then look into The Colony for new and Carrollton for used homes for "most bang for your bucks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: