Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 08:09 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times

Advertisements

When our kids took the CogAT one tested 2+ standard deviations above the mean and the other was just shy of 2 above. Their school had the GT teacher reach out and conduct interviews with kids to determine if they were able to be placed in the GT program, with parental permission of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
When our kids took the CogAT one tested 2+ standard deviations above the mean and the other was just shy of 2 above. Their school had the GT teacher reach out and conduct interviews with kids to determine if they were able to be placed in the GT program, with parental permission of course.
That's great that they were responsive and you were able to get placement for you kids!

His scores automatically qualified him for GT pullout, which his brother is in, as well. We also recently went through a full eval process for him (through district) where he placed in 99.9% for simultaneous/visual processing and had a very high fluid-cyrstallized index. I feel a bit lost in how to make sure he gets what he needs, which is why I'm trying to wrap my head around further assessment (Is it necessary? What would we gain?), as well as options and opportunities.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:13 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnerburner123 View Post
That's great that they were responsive and you were able to get placement for you kids!

His scores automatically qualified him for GT pullout, which his brother is in, as well. We also recently went through a full eval process for him (through district) where he placed in 99.9% for simultaneous/visual processing and had a very high fluid-cyrstallized index. I feel a bit lost in how to make sure he gets what he needs, which is why I'm trying to wrap my head around further assessment (Is it necessary? What would we gain?), as well as options and opportunities.
Keep in mind I'm just some retired dude now states away who happens to have two high achieving kids, due to that an interest in the IQ/schooling bit.

Some advice mixed with some points:

1. You should do a deep dive into all of this and become comfortable arguing with people/teachers/administrators on behalf of your kid/kids. You'll need to.

2. You are right to press for a professionally administered formal IQ test(s).

3. In terms of academic percentiles we spend something like fiveX more on bottom five percent kids than top five percent kids. As such it's crucial that parents of the later fill in gaps.

4. I'd look into something called The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY).

5. Gifted and Talented is as ambiguous as IT. IT is everything from some kid hot swapping hard drives as an unpaid intern to the CIO and others at Apple and Google. G&T to some means little Jimmy reads one grade ahead of age peers. To others it means little Jimmy calculates geo-stationary orbit insertion and maintenance long hand in pencil or can explain the math behind red-shift to old people. You really need to figure out where you kids are. The 99.9% above is awesome and a little scary at the same time. You mustn't let some in the K-12 machine ruin that blaze of potential....I promise you some will try.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: