Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 34,884 times

Advertisements

For a daily commute, what is the best (quickest and least frustrating) route to take to get from Uptown Dallas to Plano. The destination in Plano is Dallas Parkway, just north of West Park Blvd.

And, of course, best directions for the return trip from Plano to Uptown.

If there are certain exits to get off at or onto, in Plano, in order to avoid traffic jams/bottlenecks, please include that information.

Also, what do you estimate the average travel time to be, each way (assuming that I will be traveling during peak hours)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Tollroad from Wycliff to Park is the most direct route and tends to be the fastest. I'd count on 35ish minutes AM (assuming your work starts around 8am) and about 50-60 minutes if you leave at 5pm. This assumes no accidents.

You can take some alt routes home such as Midway or Addison Road but it will usually take the same amount of time as the Tollroad expect that you won't be in stop-n-go traffic. My one tip is on the way home get on the Tollroad after Bush- take the frontage road past Plano Pkwy and get on the Tollroad after you cross the train tracks. The worst bottleneck on the Tollroad is right at Bush.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 PM

21 posts, read 34,884 times
Thanks. I'm new to the area, what is the actual name of the toll road you are referring to?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,246,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon and Eggs View Post
Thanks. I'm new to the area, what is the actual name of the toll road you are referring to?
It's called the Dallas North Tollway, or DNT.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM

551 posts, read 1,100,148 times
Quote:
North Dallas Tollway
https://goo.gl/maps/wxXZ94vfEtn

Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM

641 posts, read 802,975 times
It baffles me that ppl still find the need to ask questions like this. No offense OP. The Best route anywhere is the route that Google Maps tells you to go. There's an option to avoid tolls if you want.

It is very very accurate. So much so that if I was in Uptown Dallas and Google told me to drive through Downtown FW to get to Downtown Dallas, I would do it without question.

I check it even if going 10mins down the road. The technology behind it is amazing once you know exactly how it works.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,866,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
It baffles me that ppl still find the need to ask questions like this. No offense OP. The Best route anywhere is the route that Google Maps tells you to go. There's an option to avoid tolls if you want.

It is very very accurate. So much so that if I was in Uptown Dallas and Google told me to drive through Downtown FW to get to Downtown Dallas, I would do it without question.

I check it even if going 10mins down the road. The technology behind it is amazing once you know exactly how it works.
Agreed. My husband has driven to and from the same office for many years, but he still gets Google directions every day because Google Maps know where there are accidents and which alternate routes are fastest on any given day.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
Waze, the free app, is particularly accurate about Dallas traff6. It re-routes me in the middle of a trip if something happens ahead of me.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 PM

641 posts, read 802,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Waze, the free app, is particularly accurate about Dallas traff6. It re-routes me in the middle of a trip if something happens ahead of me.
Right. And guess who acquired Waze a few years back for 1.3 Billion Dollars... Big G'. Google is awesome. They definitely pry into information to create better services and optimize advertisement exposure but it's worth it to me.

For those that don't know, Google will pry into your location services if you use Android or the data through Google Maps if your using Iphone and send the real time info back to Google. There are 7million ppl in this metro. That's a lot of real time data being sent to Google. This is how it knows what's the best route to take to avoid long traffic jams.

Last edited by FJB327; 02-22-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,411,028 times
Quote:
Same one recommended by TC80 about a month ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...own-plano.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: