Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 44,213 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

I've been conducting quite a bit of research the past several months, and I had remembered I had this old account with city-data after I came across a relocation thread found through Google. I figured I would put it back into use

My boyfriend and I are planning on relocating from Long Island, NY (we live in Suffolk but work throughout the NYC boroughs) to the Dallas area. He's interested in starting a graduate program for the Fall 2017 semester. From what I've read, Dallas seems to be a city of transplants and there are quite a bit of New Yorkers over there.

These are a few things are are curious about:

1. His school is located in the University Park area. We have been looking into apartments around there and in the Victory Park/Downtown areas. Initially, we were surprised that the rent seems to be similar to what we are paying now... but then soon realized that many of the apartments are brand new and much cleaner. What are some decent neighborhoods that we should look into that have things to do for late 20-somethings/early 30-somethings? We are seeing around $1,200-1,700/mo for the downtown area, is this average? Are we better off looking somewhere else?

2. We are thinking of purchasing a new car but since the move is relatively close - we aren't sure if we are better off purchasing the car in New York or waiting until we get settled in Texas. Is there a price difference that anyone may know of?

3. I'm currently a certified special education teacher in New York. I've contacted the TEA on how to transfer over my NY license to be able to teach in Texas. How is the job market for teachers? In my search, I seem to keep stumbling upon the ISD - is the Independent Dallas School district a public school system? How is the quality of life for teachers in Texas?

4. Is there anything that we should know about in regards to relocating? Or any surprises that you, or someone you may know, have found after they moved?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,370,429 times
I'd look to rent in zip code 75206 which is near UP and the Greenville Ave shops and restaurants. Also near the DART rail station. If you buy a car in NY you'll have to pay again to register it in Texas. May make sense to wait. Sorry, can't help with the job scene for teachers.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
Texas has Independent School Districts that do not match city or county lines. They are all public schools. A city might have 3 ISDs in it. I live in Denton Co., city of Little Elm but am zoned to Frisco ISD, most of which is in Collin Co. The Dallas ISD has many problems with a few good schools. A Special Ed teacher should have no problem getting hired.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 AM

7,892 posts, read 11,425,656 times
If a used car is the plan I would buy it here. If you can find a used car owned locally you will see better long term lack of rust issues. Also our roads here tend to be much newer and better maintained than many of the main major highways so easier on used cars here. I cant speak to price differences but would personally pay more for one here for the reasons mentioned and because you do not have to drive it or bring it down here yourself.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM

419 posts, read 554,186 times
Not sure I would bother with the cost of transporting a new car if you purchased in NY. Prices should be about the same and if I remember correctly, sales tax here is less than NY. Registration is also cheaper, I believe. Someone made a good point about buying used. Dont purchase a car that has been exposed to the snow and salt in NY if you can get one down here.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 AM

11,865 posts, read 26,910,887 times
Air conditioning is a MUST for any car in Texas. It's not optional!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 AM

246 posts, read 416,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Air conditioning is a MUST for any car in Texas. It's not optional!
Are cars without air conditioning even manufactured anymore?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,494,766 times
Live close to school if you can....or if not as close as you can....no reason to spend a lot of time commuting. Uptown, Downtown, Oak Lawn, Design District is probably where you want to be.

Car--buy it here.

School districts....you can try Dallas, Highland Park, next closest is probably Richardson, Plano, Coppell, Irving....but that means you will have to drive some distance if you teach there. From what I see there is plenty of turnover, so I think you should have no problem finding work. Probably May is best time to look....when teachers are getting ready to sign contracts for the next year. That's when the principals know who is returning and who isn't.

Welcome to Texas.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:02 PM

371 posts, read 625,639 times
Native New Yorker here. I too had heard there were a lot of New Yorkers down here but I've only met two so far and only one was a native New Yorker, the other had lived in NYC for a decade though. I've been here for almost three years, it was much cheaper when I first came. Rents and housing prices have risen quite a bit in that short time. If prices were as high as they are now it wouldn't have been worth it for me to make the move. $1200 to $1700 is what you're going to see for places in the Downtown/Uptown area but they will be relatively new. The lower on the price scale, the older they will be.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Native New Yorker here. I too had heard there were a lot of New Yorkers down here but I've only met two so far and only one was a native New Yorker, the other had lived in NYC for a decade though. I've been here for almost three years, it was much cheaper when I first came. Rents and housing prices have risen quite a bit in that short time. If prices were as high as they are now it wouldn't have been worth it for me to make the move. $1200 to $1700 is what you're going to see for places in the Downtown/Uptown area but they will be relatively new. The lower on the price scale, the older they will be.
I don't know any New Yorkers down here. Most folks from NY/NJ area seem to move to the Carolinas, Georgia, or Florida. Texas gets more West Coast folks.

OP -- Definitely but your car in Texas. It will be rust free and Texas has affordable taxes and licensing fees. I believe it's a 5-6% tax, plus $200 for the initial registration and title fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: