Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 6,228 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!

So I was born and raised in NJ. I am 34 years old, and single and no kids- and due to the high cost of living and the scarcity of jobs with livable income, I have decided I will be on my own moving to the Dallas Area and my sights right now are on Plano. As of right now, it's just going to be me, myself and I doing the move which is in on itself very stressful, but I know it's the right move for me after checking the overwhelming positive data across the board of the Dallas/FW area. The only problem is I am not actively working and will likely not have a job waiting for me when I get there, but I have a 4 year degree with 6 years experience in IT, Sales, and Customer Service - I am spending my time helping my parents move to their new house in South NJ, while preparing for my big move.

In beginning April I will be making a 5 day visit for the purposes of touring and "scouting", checking out housing units (I will be renting vs owning to start), interviewing residents, talking to landlords at select housing/apartment complexes, attending job fairs that may be going on in the area, and finding some good "hot spots" such as restaurants, bars, sporting events, or other places which I can mingle with and get information on life in Dallas, and Texas at large.

This is where the folks on this forum can help me. So let me address my questions: When I make my "scout" trip there, with my age, status, and job background in mind, what places do you suggest I focus my time on visiting? Which type of rental housing spots should I check out? What are some good "hot spots" in Dallas or about should I visit to be able to talk to people about my plans and get their version on life in Dallas/FW?

Also what kind of MAJOR changes should I expect (other than the weather ) from NJ to Texas? Finally, I know it would be ideal to have a job waiting for me there, but can I expect to secure employment within 6 months of moving there, assuming I'm doing all the right things.

In addition I'd like anyone who has moved to Dallas/FW (or anywhere else for that matter) by themselves without family and lack of friends in the area to spat out, and tell me in a nutshell what you did to make it work?

I am very excited and anxious at the same time about this so I welcome ANY any all answers, feedback, suggestions, and even constructive criticism. Obviously, I'd like also like to hear from anyone who moved to Dallas/FW from NJ/NYC in the last 30 years.

Thank you!
-Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
This may be a question to other posters here, but will anyone rent to someone who is moving from out of state with no job secured (and no job currently)?

OP, do you have a lot saved up? I would start applying for jobs now that you are interested in. Maybe it would be possible to include with your resume that you are planning to move to the DFW area using your own resources and indicate your approximate move time?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
HI Jim. We did the opposite move, from Dallas to the NJ side of NYC (haha). I can answer your questions a bit better if you tell me a little about where you live in NJ now and what industry you work in. Do you have solid job leads in Dallas?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM

139 posts, read 171,838 times
For one thing, Plano is huge. Since you are renting, I'd try to lock down a job first and then live somewhere near by. In general (not completely), rental prices will be determined by how far you are from the Tollway.

No matter where you live in Plano, your access to food and entertainment is about the same. It's pretty spread out.

Nobody can guarantee you a job in 6 months. We do not know you. However, there are jobs to be found if you are qualified.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
HI Jim. We did the opposite move, from Dallas to the NJ side of NYC (haha). I can answer your questions a bit better if you tell me a little about where you live in NJ now and what industry you work in. Do you have solid job leads in Dallas?
Yes so I am in Union County. My industry as I said is IT (usually in Sales or Client Support). As of now I do not have solid leads, which is why I plan on going down there.

Why did you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
For one thing, Plano is huge. Since you are renting, I'd try to lock down a job first and then live somewhere near by. In general (not completely), rental prices will be determined by how far you are from the Tollway.
Ok so is it more costly being CLOSER to the tollway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
Nobody can guarantee you a job in 6 months. We do not know you. However, there are jobs to be found if you are qualified.
Of course I know I'm not guaranteed anything. But I did searches on various job sites and there are tons I am qualified for. Maybe this is a different subject entirely- but I was told is very vigorous in securing a job when you are moving from out of state (they don't want to wait for people to make the moves, or potentially bare a burden in my moving expenses - which wouldn't be the case). As I said, I have a 4 year degree with 7 years in the IT Sales/CSR industry.

So what would be a good start when I go down there for the 5 days?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
This may be a question to other posters here, but will anyone rent to someone who is moving from out of state with no job secured (and no job currently)?

OP, do you have a lot saved up? I would start applying for jobs now that you are interested in. Maybe it would be possible to include with your resume that you are planning to move to the DFW area using your own resources and indicate your approximate move time?
Great point - so I have a lot saved up, about $15k and my dad will be willing to cosign the lease until I can secure a job, which I will do. Your advice is great and that's what I plan on doing. It's a catch 22 situation and would apply to no matter where I move to and as I said on top most employers don't want to even bother with out of state candidates regardless of qualifications, but I want to make sure Dallas would be a good fit for me living wise before I get to work on this. Make sense?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:24 PM

139 posts, read 171,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonflash View Post
Ok so is it more costly being CLOSER to the tollway?
Yes.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:32 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
You'll be fine. My advise: plan for flexibility so you can land a job you think makes sense.... try and connect with some temporary placement agencies that handle your kind of work. Consider a short term place or extented stay place until you find the job. By doing those things, you will have the ability to interview for jobs and still earn as well as possibly take a temp assignment that turns into an offer with a company you like. Once you take your job, then get a regular rental. Our traffic is just terrible and you will want to find a spot to live that is commute-friendly.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:06 AM

So when I go there in April for my 5 day visit, what are some good places I should frequent to network with people?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
One suggestion to network (other than stopping in at a few temp agencies) is to look on meetup.com and see what meetings may be happening during your visit with young professionals around the area.

I moved to DFW in 1978 from the midwest; lived in Plano 2 years and then job transferred to Haddonfield, NJ. Then back again in 1982. It was a different city as far as size and freeway jams but the vibe and economy at that time mirrors today. Upbeat and full of transplants and new businesses. A car-centric environment and lots of young folks into new technology. Lots of jobs, shops and restaurants. Melting hot summers and glorious winters. Still the same. People are easy to meet and if you don't need to support a family, you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: