Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,390 times

Advertisements

My POA (Property Owners Association) has implemented an 18% interest on top of late fees on an assessment and also a $20 fee for each "administrative" notice they give after the first notice. They have an invoice which has a line item for a Finance Charge on an overdue balance, and then finance fee on the late fee. I paid the late due, but not the late charges, and they still accrued interest on the late charges after the fact. They even threaten to report it a homeowners credit bureau if they fail to pay. Can they get away with these absurd finance fees and threats? What exactly are they "financing" anyway? Are they allowed to charge finance fees if they are not a finance company? Who regulates these HOA/POA bodies anyway? They also are not allowing homeowners to vote on these changes, but rather presenting them to the homeowners after they meet, without putting these changes to the homeowners and allowing homeowners the proper amount of time to discuss or come together on these changes. I believe they are abusing their positions and I'd like to know who can do an audit or investigate them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixierider View Post
My POA (Property Owners Association) has implemented an 18% interest on top of late fees on an assessment and also a $20 fee for each "administrative" notice they give after the first notice. They have an invoice which has a line item for a Finance Charge on an overdue balance, and then finance fee on the late fee. I paid the late due, but not the late charges, and they still accrued interest on the late charges after the fact. They even threaten to report it a homeowners credit bureau if they fail to pay. Can they get away with these absurd finance fees and threats? What exactly are they "financing" anyway? Are they allowed to charge finance fees if they are not a finance company? Who regulates these HOA/POA bodies anyway? They also are not allowing homeowners to vote on these changes, but rather presenting them to the homeowners after they meet, without putting these changes to the homeowners and allowing homeowners the proper amount of time to discuss or come together on these changes. I believe they are abusing their positions and I'd like to know who can do an audit or investigate them.

Thanks.

Move somewhere without an HOA. Seriously. Why any rational adult would subject themselves to the whims of an HOA board is beyond me.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,390 times
I'm trying. It's been tough to find a buyer in the price point we are in. And now I find out that the POA gets the proceeds from all resale certificate's that sellers have to have to sell. And what's worse...POA's are Non-profit organizations! So where does all this money go that they get from the homeowners? I know that the President of the POA once said during a meeting "I don't care if someone sues, I'll just spend the money in the treasury to fight it". So, he'd rather spend the money on an attorney (probably a friend of his) than actually work with the community members on resolving issues. I hate this place. I'm dying to move.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
I'm trying. It's been tough to find a buyer in the price point we are in. And now I find out that the POA gets the proceeds from all resale certificate's that sellers have to have to sell. And what's worse...POA's are Non-profit organizations! So where does all this money go that they get from the homeowners? I know that the President of the POA once said during a meeting "I don't care if someone sues, I'll just spend the money in the treasury to fight it". So, he'd rather spend the money on an attorney (probably a friend of his) than actually work with the community members on resolving issues. I hate this place. I'm dying to move.
Wow.

Are you for real?

Old 03-03-2017, 03:05 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,184,006 times
My HOA is pretty decent. I certainly don't want to live in a subdivision without HOA where neighbor can cover his windows with barb wire and starts raising pigs in his backyard. Living and selling home can be a nightmare without HOA rules. If homes are far apart and lots are in acres then you don't needs HOA but for suburban subdivisions with two dozen homes on your street, it's a necessary evil.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:25 PM

11,869 posts, read 26,921,654 times
Most cities have Code Enforcement departments to prevent that sort of thing.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,331,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
My HOA is pretty decent. I certainly don't want to live in a subdivision without HOA where neighbor can cover his windows with barb wire and starts raising pigs in his backyard. Living and selling home can be a nightmare without HOA rules. If homes are far apart and lots are in acres then you don't needs HOA but for suburban subdivisions with two dozen homes on your street, it's a necessary evil.
You really don't need a HOA is there are appropriate city codes which are enforced. Somehow my neighbors in Dallas are all mature and classy enough to not put bars on their windows (plus, my neighborhood is safe which negates the reason for window bars) or raise wild animals. We all maintain our lawns and have common sense not to paint our homes crazy colors without needing a HOA mandated paint chip list.

HOA's are a racket. Just a bunch of bored suburbanites on power trips. Ever wonder why the nicest neighborhoods in Dallas County don't need HOA's to look well-maintained??

Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 PM

769 posts, read 783,950 times
I haven't lived in an HOA neighborhood since 2006 and wouldn't ever buy a house in such a neighborhood again (federal/state/city government is enough for my taste) but what's so bad about late fees and interest?

Just pay on time. It was your choice to live under the rules, responsibilities, fees (taxes) and protections of a private government.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Our biggest problem is the deadbeats who don't pay their assessments like everyone else. They are the reason the board, in a posted open meeting has to go the route of punitive fines and fees. Its not fair to the rest of the property owners who abide by the covenant to pay their share of maintenance costs and then some to cover the deadbeats.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:21 AM

3,443 posts, read 4,465,280 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Is there is an HOA management company involved?
If so would you identify which one?

You might want to make a trip to Austin. Problems with HOAs and the HOA vendors (HOA management companies and HOA attorneys) are being looked at again by the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas