Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM

62 posts, read 296,955 times

Advertisements

Hi all, We're meeting with a builder this week and have some floorplan-specific questions, but for those folks who have built what are some of those "Oh, wish we had asked..." questions about the process, neighborhood, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Okay, plans changed and meeting with builder today! Plan to ask about future development plans, copy of HOA bylaws, development in the area, etc.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:59 AM

35 posts, read 126,099 times
1. If they allow you to have an independent inspector come out during each major phase of the construction of the house and if there are any problems, the builder has to fix before continuing. Even if you "think" the builder is highly reputable, this was cemented in my mind when looking at some houses that were finished framed (no interior drywall up) out by Darling. Went in an noticed a lot of the wood was very low quality and just subpar construction wise.

2. about HOA bylaws, see what the penalties are for late payments. I'm not sure how sensationalized this was but I just remember seeing "news" about HOA's foreclosing on people's homes because they had fallen behind on paying their dues.

any HOA that has anything like that in their bylaws...well...suck.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM

23 posts, read 264,647 times
Has construction started and have you signed anything?

Some I can think of from experience.

If slab foundation: When are they going to frame the foundation? I want my inspector there. When are they going to pour my foundation? I want my inspector there. When are they going to tension my foundation? I want my inspector there.
- Don't forgot to negotiate closing costs before you sign. You will often be at the mercy of the builder's financing choice. They will hit you with title insurance policy (I think normally the seller pays). You have to negotiate these closing items way in advance.
- Are you going to dump construction waste as "fill dirt" in my yard? Don't.
- Watch out for them cutting corners on small things that cost you in the long run: You will want radiant barrier decking if in a climate that can benefit. It's cheap to install at build time. Same thing for moisture barriers/wraps.
- Insulation? You'll want the best R factor recommended.
- What kind of fence? Wooden posts or metal? Cedar planks?
- Watch out for things that are put in for profit like stone elevations.
- Make sure they scrape/level the floor before the carpet goes in. The little bumps will bug you. You can do this yourself easily. This little effort will save you in terms of dust and crap like that for a long time.
- Visit your site regularly to remove trash that will end up in the walls.
- Befriend the local building inspector and point crap out to him.
- Make sure all the areas that should be caulked are otherwise you will pay $$ later with water damage.

Most of all, engage an certified inspector or structural engineer early on and before closing. BTW, I'm not an inspector but I did have a house built. They can help you with questions to ask.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Looks like whatdoiknw and I are on the same wavelength. Getting a private inspector involved early on more than pays for the expense. Don't let the builder talk you out of it! And they will try.

Thought of a few more from experience:

- If the doors don't come with the doorframes, make sure you inspect the quality of the hanging of the doors. Specifically the hinges.
- Get a flashlight, shine it to cast shadows along drywalls and textured walls to look for imperfections. More simple stuff that will bug you later on.
- Require or pay for a crack isolation membrane underneath any tile flooring.
- Tell them you want a respectable finish on the skirt of the foundation - no parging.
- Get them to put in writing that they will cosmetically fix/seal any corner pops/cone fractures that will develop after the foundation as cured.
- You want any attic space decked (even if you have to pay for the plywood). It's a pain to do this once the house is completely drywalled/frames. You want to use something better than osb sheathing.
- Screws in the upstairs floor decking not nails.
- Have them seal the grout in any ceramic tiling.
- You want the extra brick/tile etc. Watch out for this!
- Through in some insulation batting in interior rooms to keep out noise.
- Make sure thermal expansion joints in the brickwork are there, are clean, and sealed with the right sealant.
- Make sure weepholes are in the correct places and clear. Watch for this!
- Watch the entry thresholds are level, seal with doors, and not trashed (since they go in early on).
- Have them seal-up any utility holes in the foundation (like where the battub drain is) with the proper sealant or you will have ants.
- More doors: Watch when they punch out the holes for the doorknobs/latches. They will butcher them or make it sloppy. Won't notice until you upgrade your hardware.
- Pre-wire for cat5/6.
- Watch out for proper yard grading sloping away from the foundation.

Basically all of these things are very common on an inspection report. I imaging you can get an inspector to send you a sample from the areas you are building. They have a ton of standard things they always put.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 PM

175 posts, read 482,822 times
I would have everything spelled out in a contract. Spec out materials etc...from nails to shingles. I would hire a competent attorney to draw up a construction contract.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Wow. That's a lot of stuff. Thanks to you both. Some of this I suspect would be more relavent during the build?? We are just going to ask questions and see if, with our desired features, they can deliver in the budget. Expect to leave with information to consider before making any decisions as we consider ourselves in the R&D mode, looking at other builders, developments, etc. I am compiling your suggestions into a doc to share with my husband. Thanks again!

Any front end questions? Like things we should ask before even deciding this is the place/signing a contract?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
I would have everything spelled out in a contract. Spec out materials etc...from nails to shingles. I would hire a competent attorney to draw up a construction contract.
At what point should this be done? Like once we decide we want to go with the builder do we then go and have the atty draw up the contract, or is the construction contract something different?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Anything that will require extra materials, extra labor, or a change in materials has to hashed out before you sign a contract. Once you sign they will hit you with a charge for every single change. The things related to build quality of workmanship you have to hawk yourself during the process. I believe also the closing related charges need to be hashed out beforehand as well. Maybe someone with more recent experience will help you out with the charges relating to closing on a new home. You can also take any good faith estimate to get some idea. The title insurance policy is the big one to watch out for that is not customary for the buyer of an existing home to pay. If you don't negotiate that up front you will be paying for it.

Don't sign anything until you have read it with someone who knows what to look for.

Oh yeah, any upgrades to interior finishes (tile, backsplash, fireplace, paint, carpet, carpet padding, pre-wiring, phone jacks, molding) negotiate before you sign. What happens is the price you will sign does not include the customizations you will see in the model home or perhaps even other spec homes. The default choices of these finishes are often purposefully plain jane/unattractive enough to drive you to spend more at the "design/profit center". And you don't realize this when you sign. You need to know the exact tile, wallpaper, paint, etc. you want in the house before you sign (that is if you want to negotiate it) otherwise you will pay for it later. Best thing is to stick with what you like in the spec/model homes and say "I want that tile, that paint, etc." and have them put it specifically in the contract.

Lot's of stuff to do think about before you sign.

Last edited by eltbee; 10-06-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM

92 posts, read 291,415 times
Oh, I wish I had REALTOR representation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: