Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM

154 posts, read 432,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Rosie, you're beginning to sound more reasonable. So COS works for you and Dallas didn't? Well, those things happen.

Actually, we're not comparing Dallas to COS, we're comparing it to Denver.

The real question is, though, whether a random individual would be better off in one city or another. The fact that you're personally better served in one over the other doesn't necessarily mean that everyone would. Denver may have some things in its favor that would attract some people, and Dallas has a very different set of advantages. It's important to get some clarity on this.
I know...I never mentioned Cos...until Mom told everyone that I live outside it...and then everyone started talking about it.... I know Denver very well...but definately prefer living outside of it....and yes you are right...because I did not like TX or did not have a good experience it does not mean that's going to be the same for everyone else...but I think it is important not just to point out the good stuff... I always said..it depends what your priorities in life are.... if you like shopping, hot humid summers, mild winters, a big house for little money, worship, competitive sports, hmmm...then you will most likely love Texas....I definately have different priorities in life...and that's why I moved away.... and so did several of my Texan neighbors.... I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings...just wanted to post what a bad experience I had....but then I got attacked for my opinions and everything turned ugly.....

Old 07-09-2008, 04:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post
Today it is a sweltering, muggy 101 degrees outside. The air is brown as usual. None of you lying wierdos can change what dallas really is with your nonsensical gibberish..
ROTFL!!!! Omy sides are hurting. Do please tell exactly WHAT Dallas your in as it is NOT IN Dallas, TEXAS. This is REALLY getting good and quite humorous.

As of 5:15pm
Current Conditions
Temp: 95° Dew Point: 65° Humidity: 37% Wind: SE 4 mph Visibility: 10.0 miles Pressure: 29.95 in. - Sky: Scattered Clouds Heat Index: 97°
And a CURRENT pic of Downtown Dallas and that "brown sky"
Cams: WFAA Tower Cam | WFAA.com

Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
ROTFL!!!! Omy sides are hurting. Do please tell exactly WHAT Dallas your in as it is NOT IN Dallas, TEXAS. This is REALLY getting good and quite humorous.
Well there is a Dallas, Georgia and as a lot of you know I thought Georgia was hell on earth....so....

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM

70 posts, read 162,094 times
Quote:

As of 5:15pm
Current Conditions
Temp: 95° Dew Point: 65° Humidity: 37% Wind: SE 4 mph Visibility: 10.0 miles Pressure: 29.95 in. - Sky: Scattered Clouds Heat Index: 97°
And a CURRENT pic of Downtown Dallas and that "brown sky"
Cams: WFAA Tower Cam | WFAA.com
I don't see how telling the world that it is 95 degrees is exactly helping your misguided cause. Whatever that is.

There isn't a lot of difference between 95 and 100 degrees to most of us. But I guess every degree helps. I'm sure it broke 100 somewhere in the metroprairie today, but even if it didn't, it cracks me up that you would actually split hairs like this because 95 degrees in this polluted thick air is absolutely hell on earth and feels pretty much the same to people who don't have some psychopathic desire to fool themselves that 95 degrees is anything less than miserable.

BTW, the wfaa tower cam seems to capture the smoggy hot air pretty well. Thank you for helping me prove my point. Not exactly crystal clear is it?

Last edited by Glassbox; 07-09-2008 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM

70 posts, read 162,094 times
Quote:
Glassbox, your REALLY reaching w/ those pics.

#1 - Good grief, when exactly was pic #1 taken? That is NOT a "normal" day EVER in Dallas. (shaking head in utter disblief).

#2 - ANY CITY looking out of it off in the distance thru a THICK multi-layer airplane window is going to look "hazy". As well as not have SOME pollution. I'm guessing you have never personally been to LA or Denver.

#3 - The sky looks pretty clear there. If your referring to the banks of the Trinity being flooded.......... come on. How often does THAT happen. Geez, this is getting pretty funny.

#4 - What, Dallas is the ONLY CITY in the nation that has liquor and beer stores???? The point??? Or that it rains here too and we are not all dry and like a desert?

#5 - Yes, Dallas has automobiles that need gasoline to run. We don't all ride horses to work . Again, is this to show that Dallas does indeed permit the sale of beer/wine??? Like no other city does. Sure.

#6 - Geez, this REALLY IS getting good. Man, this is fun y'all. This was the acetylene plant that exploded last summer - Southwest Industrial Gas. Pretty familiar w/ that one myself. This happened ONCE! Would you like us to find pics of other big fires in other large cities as they do happen? This is NOT a "normal" occurance in Dallas at all. Your really grasping now. If your point w/ this one was the traffic backup it is SOLELY due to the road closures because of the explosion. No one was killed though and the 2 guys that were hurt in it are doing good now.

#7 - Pretty sky in that one. No smog, haze, smoke, etc. Just a picture of some beautiful Texas Longhorns. Not something you see on a daily basis though in the Dallas Metroplex. UNLESS, you happen to live by one of the last remaining pieces of land that still has them which is VERY FEW! Which is kind of a bummer. Otherwise, green trees and grass, clear blue sky.

#8 - Was this to answer peoples questions that are relocating here and scared we are all a bunch of Bible Thumpers and don't allow strip clubs like every other city in the nation?

Folks, ya know most of us on here that DO LIKE living here are more than likely just liking having fun jerking this guys chain. It CAN be fun and it does start to show their real lack of knowledge of Dallas. I'd bet everytime he/she posts something most of us are cracking up laughing as we can poke a million holes in every shred of it.
The fact that you would write all this nonsense is proof that you know that the photos I rounded up represented the REAL dallas. If you really believed that these photos I posted has a million holes in it (whatever that means), you wouldn't have dignified the photos with such a long, rambling, rant.

You don't need any knowledge (except maybe to be able to identify the ugly dallas skyline) to look at those photos to know that they were all taken in Dallas. Untouched photos don't lie, and no one need to touch up a photo to make dallas look ugly. All you have to do is reach for a camera and snap a picture of the first thing you see.

The only good things you ever hear about dallas, COMES out of dallas. But everybody who visits Dallas knows that Dallas is hideous. It is no secret. So stop selling.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Quote:
Well C2H, you are part Texan Once upon a time Texas did have a chunk of Colorado. You are correct though that COS does have some horrible armpit areas. There is a good chunk of it that is NOT worth even being remotely "proud of". I'm actually saddened by all of the growth and yet there is no real industry there. Several years ago we said it was only a matter of time before COS was considered a "suburb" of Denver and the entire stretch of highway between the two would be covered in developments.

Okay, your from there. Do you remember when you could go to The Garden of The Gods and it not be PACKED! You could take a pic and no one would be in it unless it was someone in YOUR family. Last time I was there I took hubby for his first visit. That place was elbows and.......... It was NOT FUN! Woodland Park is not the same either. I know, things change but I sure do miss how it used to be there.

Yeah, i remember when there wasn't alot of people up there. That was about 20 years ago, I was just a little boy then about 5 years old. C/S over the years has exploded to become a big city without the big city attractions and amentities. It's definitely a big small town. I hope Denver and Colorado Springs eventually meet one day like Dallas and Fort Worth joined hands. I think Colorado Springs is too big to be a suburb city. What would have been smart for connecting growth from Denver to COSpgs is building the airport between them. Monument is already halfway up to Castle Rock and Castle Rocks growth over the last 20 years has been nothing but amazing. There's still a chance the two can connect.

I'm not sure if i'm on the same page with you on Woodland Park. I was just up there in December 07 and it still looked pretty rural.

PS/ Glassbox, you're hilarious.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-09-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times
Quote:
I don't see how telling the world that it is 95 degrees is exactly helping your misguided cause. Whatever that is.
The point is that you're a liar, and an incompetent one at that. Your temp number is phony and your claim about humidity is bogus.

Quote:
BTW, the wfaa tower cam seems to capture the smoggy hot air pretty well.
No, there's no smog visible from the webcam. Once again, you lie.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-09-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The fact that you would write all this nonsense is proof that you know that the photos I rounded up represented the REAL dallas.
Really? There are 2 real Dallases there. One is a couple of hazy skyline shots you cherry-picked from somewhere, and the other Dallas is a city with clean air and bright sunshine.

Don't you get it, troll? Your insults have to be consistent. They don't work if they contradict each other.

The worst consequence of being a liar is that you eventually lose the ability to sound like you make sense.

Or maybe it's the point where you're completely lying to yourself, and you live in a fraudulent world.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,572 times
To paraphrase Mike Myers' now-retired Dieter character, this thread grows tiresome. But it's interesting that, from my relatively little time spent on these boards, that it seems the Sunbelt cities provoke both the most anger and defensiveness. Granted, I don't check out, say, the New York City, Chicago, or Maine boards very often but, if I do, I don't notice the same level of hostility one comes across on, say, the Miami, L.A., Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, and Dallas boards where it seems there's always a thread titled something like, "Would You Rather Live in Hell or [Your City Here]?"

Certainly, the Sunbelt doesn't have a lock on crime, congestion, bad schools, bad air, etc. Maybe, as in the classic '30s Nathanael West novel, The Day of the Locust, in which disillusioned transplants to California slowly go mad and riot because they've gone as far west as they can go and still haven't found paradise, many of those who move to the Sunbelt have too-high expectations and therefore feel especially cheated when the new city has many of the same problems as the old? Not sure, but it makes for some amusing online reading.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
To paraphrase Mike Myers' now-retired Dieter character, this thread grows tiresome. But it's interesting that, from my relatively little time spent on these boards, that it seems the Sunbelt cities provoke both the most anger and defensiveness. Granted, I don't check out, say, the New York City, Chicago, or Maine boards very often but, if I do, I don't notice the same level of hostility one comes across on, say, the Miami, L.A., Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, and Dallas boards where it seems there's always a thread titled something like, "Would You Rather Live in Hell or [Your City Here]?"

Certainly, the Sunbelt doesn't have a lock on crime, congestion, bad schools, bad air, etc. Maybe, as in the classic '30s Nathanael West novel, The Day of the Locust, in which disillusioned transplants to California slowly go mad and riot because they've gone as far west as they can go and still haven't found paradise, many of those who move to the Sunbelt have too-high expectations and therefore feel especially cheated when the new city has many of the same problems as the old? Not sure, but it makes for some amusing online reading.
I can see it differently. The Sunbelt cities are currently on the leading edge of America and those who don't make it there have a sense of defeat that quickly becomes a sense of anger and betrayal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas