Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persdawg View Post
So would Tarrant County Appraisal District, or any other, get my actual sales contract at any point to base their market value on?

And is the ultimate goal for the appraisal total to catch up and meet the market value?
Mine is lagging because of the max 10% adjustment...but it will catch up next year if that's the goal!

No, that is not the goal and you wouldn't want that. It should never catch up if you have your homestead exemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Thank you! We are in Dallas County (Coppell). I don't think comps are going to help me--if anything they prove that we are still undervalued in this crazy market.

Of the two homes I found, one down the street (that was recently renovated and had a 2nd story added) has an improvement market value at $4 sq/ foot less. It is 900 sq ft
bigger, though.

The house behind us is even better. They are 150 sq foot bigger and their market value is $23k less. Similar condition.

Is this enough or do I need more? Land value is exactly the same for everyone.
Call and ask them. They told me exactly what I can do. Which will not help me, but it might you.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
So would Tarrant County Appraisal District, or any other, get my actual sales contract at any point to base their market value on?

And is the ultimate goal for the appraisal total to catch up and meet the market value?
Mine is lagging because of the max 10% adjustment...but it will catch up next year if that's the goal!

Yes, the CADs either have access to MLS or otherwise find out what you paid. That's why we tell buyers to expect the appraisal value to rise to the purchase price, even if the tax rolls were significantly below purchase price.

The CAD's goal is to tax you at true market value. Your goal as an owner is to keep your appraisal value as low as humanly possibly to keep your taxes down.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, the CADs either have access to MLS or otherwise find out what you paid. That's why we tell buyers to expect the appraisal value to rise to the purchase price, even if the tax rolls were significantly below purchase price.

The CAD's goal is to tax you at true market value. Your goal as an owner is to keep your appraisal value as low as humanly possibly to keep your taxes down.
I don't see how that is possible for a homestead. The cap on increases prevents it. Certainly though current times when values are going up way more than 10%. If they are only increasing 10% or less I can see what you mean.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't see how that is possible for a homestead. The cap on increases prevents it. Certainly though current times when values are going up way more than 10%. If they are only increasing 10% or less I can see what you mean.
You have to keep in mind that these 10%+ annual value increases have only been happening the last few years and will likely tap out sooner than later. Historical annual appreciation in DFW is more in line with inflation at 2-4% per year. Values aren't going to keep going up 10% per year in perpetuity - even if it feels that way sometimes!!

Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
You have to keep in mind that these 10%+ annual value increases have only been happening the last few years and will likely tap out sooner than later. Historical annual appreciation in DFW is more in line with inflation at 2-4% per year. Values aren't going to keep going up 10% per year in perpetuity - even if it feels that way sometimes!!
I agree, but even before this my 'appraised value' never caught up to the 'market value'. It would have if it didn't have homestead exemption.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 AM

70 posts, read 74,330 times
Quote:

This is disturbing. I understand they can see the list/asking price...but you are saying they have access to the final price paid? This should be private, no?
Rising appraisals are only good for sellers.

So all things being equal, ex Homestead, the appraisal district wants the appraisal value to equal the market value?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,082 times
Quote:
This is disturbing. I understand they can see the list/asking price...but you are saying they have access to the final price paid? This should be private, no?
Nope, they have access to it. I filed a protest with Denton County. As part of their "evidence packet" they send me a unique link to access sales data for the entire county from the past 2 years. I can look up any house that sold in that time frame and find out what it sold for. Those are the numbers they use to argue their assessed value. I got the link a couple of days ago and I'm honestly shocked at some of the sold prices for my neighborhood.

For instance, my house was assessed at $495k. I can argue that 3 similar houses in the neighborhood were only assessed at $470k in hopes that they will drop my value. Then they can argue back that X number of houses were sold at prices between $505k-$520k and that the assessed value of $495k is valid.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Rising appraisals are only good for sellers.

So all things being equal, ex Homestead, the appraisal district wants the appraisal value to equal the market value?
Correct, they know what you paid if you bought though MLS. That's why "pocket" listings have become so popular in pricey parts of Dallas because those transactions are done outside MLS and are truly private sales.

Yes, the appraisal district wants the appraised values to equal market values. Why would they not??

Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Nope, they have access to it. I filed a protest with Denton County. As part of their "evidence packet" they send me a unique link to access sales data for the entire county from the past 2 years. I can look up any house that sold in that time frame and find out what it sold for. Those are the numbers they use to argue their assessed value. I got the link a couple of days ago and I'm honestly shocked at some of the sold prices for my neighborhood.

For instance, my house was assessed at $495k. I can argue that 3 similar houses in the neighborhood were only assessed at $470k in hopes that they will drop my value. Then they can argue back that X number of houses were sold at prices between $505k-$520k and that the assessed value of $495k is valid.
Yup. I said my value has to be a clerical error. Condos are simpler for them to comp. Mostly all the same sized units are valued the same. I said you gave me an extra bedroom! They said nope, a few units your size are valued at this higher amount.

I said how? They said permits pulled for major updates. Well, funny you should say that, there aren't any for mine! (wish there were, but only for A/C install).

Too bad. I can't argue that. Well, I can, but it doesn't do any good (Tarrant, can't speak for other counties) unless I can prove that the value is lower than the APPRAISED value. I am stuck with my (totally incorrect) values for tax purposes. I wish they'd buy mine for what they say it's worth. I could buy another one that is actually updated as they think mine is. That would be fab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas