Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,719 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'll be relocating to the DFW area in a couple of months coming from fort Lauderdale Florida. I'm a single female with a professional degree in her mid twenties and ideally would love to be in a community with a similar demographic. I've been reading previous post comparing LC and Uptown and the outstanding majority are heavily favouring uptown. Although the idea of having a good close by nightlife, bars, coffee shops and running trails are one of my pros, my commute is making​ me second guess uptown. My employment requires me to be in different locations different days of the week. I'll have to commute to 1) Irving (most of the days in the month), 2) Lewisville 3) Flower mound 4) grapevine. Therefore LC is looking to be a better choice in terms of commute. Is commuting to those location from uptown worth it? 930 AM to work and 6:30PM back to uptown

Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
For all of those locations, Las Colinas would make the most sense for commuting. Las Colinas also has the Campion Trail for running. If you lived in Uptown, you'd be driving right past Las Colinas to get home every night. When you do want to go out on weekends, Uptown is a fairly quick drive from Las Colinas.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Also, there are quite a lot of new things going on in LC. The Music factory/ Entertainment district will be opening late summer, Whole Foods should be open soon.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,464 times
I would suggest Las Colinas as well for the same reasons as ChristieP. I'll add that Las Colinas is more centrally located between the two airports so you have more options for convenient travel. When you can fly to Belize for the same price as a weekend dinner/bar tab in Uptown, you'll be glad to have the option.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
"Lost Colinas" is nice, I went to college at UD which is right there and know several people who live by the lake. That said, you wont find much more than people walking their dogs around the lake, and nightlife there is almost non existent. It also isnt cheap, although you will save a little money compared to Uptown.

I live in uptown and my office is in Las Colinas. I dont go into the office every day, but they days I do it only takes 20-25 min around 7 am. Really not bad at all. At 9:30 you should have no issue.

I'm a 25 year old male, so I fit in your demographic. My buddy who lives in Los Colinas probably spends at least the amount he saves living there on ubers to uptown.

In a few years Las Colinas might be more of a destination, for now, it looks great, is easy to walk around, but there is almost nothing to do that you could walk to.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I would suggest Las Colinas as well for the same reasons as ChristieP. I'll add that Las Colinas is more centrally located between the two airports so you have more options for convenient travel. When you can fly to Belize for the same price as a weekend dinner/bar tab in Uptown, you'll be glad to have the option.
Living in uptown its only a 30 min longer dart or 15 min longer drive to DFW airport, unless you are a flight attendant or something that isnt a big difference.

Also that is a pretty big exaggeration, uptown isn't cheap, but it isnt THAT expensive.

Live in uptown, seriously, you wont regret it.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
There's also the Design District, which at least gives you closer access to 35 while still being within a 5 min uber ride from Uptown.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 AM

450 posts, read 555,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
+1 to Belize. Beautiful country. Went there on honeymoon for two weeks. It's a hidden gem, direct flight for DFW and fairly cheap.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
+1 to Belize. Beautiful country. Went there on honeymoon for two weeks. It's a hidden gem, direct flight for DFW and fairly cheap.
Yeah, Belize is great, but is a total non factor for this lady trying to decide where to live.

As mentioned above, the design district is a good option. So is Oak lawn or Victory park. Las Colinas might be a good option in 2 years, but as of now, trust me, don't live there if you value coffee shops, bars and such.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 PM

188 posts, read 230,747 times
If it weren't for life after work then I would go Coppell or LC first. (Have you looked at Coppell? It's a bit more single friendly than years past...and it's more central to Lewisville/Flower Mound/Grapevine) But overall, the pain of driving would be offset by the availability of nightlife in uptown. If you can get your employer to get you some temporary housing then I would test-fit at least two of the locations before committing to a 1yr+ lease...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas