Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:11 PM

46 posts, read 54,808 times

Advertisements

I recommend Rice/Jasper/Plano West area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 4,882 times
Hi, would like to know which one did you finally choose? We are moving to Texas from NY. We are in the same boat except that work location would be Richardson. Confused between Plano West and Coppell districts for a fifth grader.. Good middle school is what we are looking for, as sixth is only a year away. Academics and music/arts preferred. Commute to Richardson matters.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Coppell would be an awful commute to Richardson.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 PM

371 posts, read 553,998 times
Coppell to Richardson is NOT a good commute. You are better off in Plano or Richardson.

Look at the Rice Middle/Jasper/Plano West feeder pattern (has excellent academics and outstanding music and fine arts programs), East Plano (Murphy Middle or Otto Middle), or schools zoned to Pearce high school in Richardson.

If you have questions about Rice/Jasper, feel free to Direct Message me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priya_caus View Post
Hi, would like to know which one did you finally choose? We are moving to Texas from NY. We are in the same boat except that work location would be Richardson. Confused between Plano West and Coppell districts for a fifth grader.. Good middle school is what we are looking for, as sixth is only a year away. Academics and music/arts preferred. Commute to Richardson matters.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I live in Plano and regret having moved here.

It's too big and the traffic is horrible.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 PM

22 posts, read 47,308 times
I recommend Rice/Jasper

Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
PISD’s Otto Middle School, located in Richardson should work best for you.

Renner Middle School In West Plano is a great school and not a long commute to Richardson. You’ll be in Plano West Senior High School cluster, arguably top open enrollment school in DFW for academics.

Rice is great, feeds to Plano West as well but not an ideal commute for Richardson.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 AM

468 posts, read 475,949 times
Jasper is the only school in Plano that is not Diverse. If your kid goes in the Honors track he won't have a single non-Asian kid in any of those classes. The classes are so tough some of those Asian kids will actually drop out of the Honors classes.

Plano has great teachers throughout the district. Any other Plano school would be an better transition.

Frisco will guarantee a rezoning. And they don't have many qualified teachers to teach AP courses so you're on your own. But hey, little Vijay can play football with the Cowboys.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:39 AM

371 posts, read 553,998 times
Sorry but I call BS.

I have a kid in Jasper and while it is Asian heavy (47%), there is still a decent mix:

https://www.greatschools.org/texas/p...r-High-School/

And it is definitely NOT true that Honors classes have all Asians. My kid has friends of all races and most of them take Honors classes (White, Hispanic, African Americans etc.). And no - the honors classes are not so tough that Asians drop out - they may drop occasionally drop AP classes sure - but that's true anywhere.

Yes, it is a competitive environment but prepares you well for the rigors of college.

And yes, hey - little Tommy can take honors classes at Jasper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Jasper is the only school in Plano that is not Diverse. If your kid goes in the Honors track he won't have a single non-Asian kid in any of those classes. The classes are so tough some of those Asian kids will actually drop out of the Honors classes.

Plano has great teachers throughout the district. Any other Plano school would be an better transition.

Frisco will guarantee a rezoning. And they don't have many qualified teachers to teach AP courses so you're on your own. But hey, little Vijay can play football with the Cowboys.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,882 times
Thanks for your responses. So coppell is out based on this.

How much is the rush hour commute time from West Plano (rice middle school area) to specifically the lakeside boulevard area of Richardson (near Hyatt regency).

I will also look into Otto middle school.. will check the commute

Rice Jasper Plano West seem to be repeated often for best schools.

I need a school with good music program and academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: