Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 PM

42 posts, read 50,393 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to setup my media room to include equipment. Looking for recommendations...thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzail View Post
I'm looking to setup my media room to include equipment. Looking for recommendations...thanks in advance.
Well we have a nearing 7 year old Epson - Powerlight 9400 (?) LCD projector that has been literally flawless since day one + a DaLite screen. It's set up for rear projection.........which totally freaks most people out. If you can control the light into your room......like make it near pitch black LCD is great. If not or for day viewing DLP puts out way more light, generally speaking of course.

I'm a complete audio nut so the audio gear I like probably wouldn't make sense for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 AM

445 posts, read 413,993 times
I second EDS's suggestion. LCD projector is the way to go for light controlled room. I also have an Epson 3LCD with 130" screen, they don't make an LCD TV that large yet
I may not be an audio nut like EDS but I like good audio setup. I went with Marantz receiver and KEF speakers. KEF subwoofers are not good but uni-q speakers are fantastic and more balanced for human voice frequencies, compared to the famous brand that spends more money on their marketing than product development
Just beware, a good audio setup will cost you much more than the video equipment unless you are going with top of the line 4k or higher projectors. You may also need some room treatment to control sound reflection.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM

242 posts, read 433,175 times
Recommendations for what - equipment? Installers? Retailers? Everything? It's very hard to provide recommendations without understanding your room dimensions, the general layout of the room, the types of surfaces or acoustical impact of the room, etc.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
I second EDS's suggestion. LCD projector is the way to go for light controlled room. I also have an Epson 3LCD with 130" screen, they don't make an LCD TV that large yet
I may not be an audio nut like EDS but I like good audio setup. I went with Marantz receiver and KEF speakers. KEF subwoofers are not good but uni-q speakers are fantastic and more balanced for human voice frequencies, compared to the famous brand that spends more money on their marketing than product development
Just beware, a good audio setup will cost you much more than the video equipment unless you are going with top of the line 4k or higher projectors. You may also need some room treatment to control sound reflection.
With you totally on the "British Voicing" thing. IMO it's not so much that they (they = Bowers and Wilkins, KEF, Harbeth, Spendor, Wharfedale, PMC etc.) "voice" speakers for the human voice it's that they voice to avoid sibilance maybe over all else. Any sibilance is extremely bothersome with lots of point sources (5.1-11.1 or whatever speakers) in a smallish room. I'm a Spendor man myself FWIIW.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
Recommendations for what - equipment? Installers? Retailers? Everything? It's very hard to provide recommendations without understanding your room dimensions, the general layout of the room, the types of surfaces or acoustical impact of the room, etc.
Looking for installers.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzail View Post
Looking for installers.
I'll send you a DM with a name/number.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 PM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: