Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
That was a quick comment on my end, as she actually is getting the Norwegian citizenship in a month But the laws of Norway is that you cannot get citizenship without giving up your old one, so that is why we did not look into it before. HOWEVER, there's an exemption saying that if you have to pay more than 2% of your annual income to get rid of your previous citizenship you can keep it while still getting the Norwegian citizenship. And US charges $2,350 for it now, which puts my wife in that group.

It was besides the point in my post, but certainly a benefit to keep our Norway connection for the whole family. Immigration process here is slower than in the States, so not something I want to do again.
Yeah, the US practically has a renunciation exit tax. It's getting more and more challenging for US citizens overseas due to FATCA which has led to increased rates of renunciation. It's insane. It's almost like the US government thinks it owns you. Fortunately I came back to the US before FATCA was enacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:38 AM

18 posts, read 14,181 times
Many interesting posts.

One thing to remember is that you would be leaving a very small nation and moving to a large and diverse metropolitan city. More people live in greater Dallas than in the entire nation of Norway. You'd have less ready access to activities like snow skiing, hiking, etc. here, but you would gain all that major cities have to offer - great hospitals, universities, restaurants, music venues, etc. There's also an airport with daily departing flights to points across the US, Europe, Asia and the Mideast. As for economics, I think the GDP of Dallas/Fort Worth is likely greater than of Norway, and the economy here is certainly much more diverse and dynamic.

Best wishes with your decision.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 9,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If I were you I'd spend the next weekend comparing likely salaries, taxes and cost of living differences. If the economic part of the move does not make sense you should stay put. That said it's very likely you will decide that living in the US is a better deal. I was in Oslo 2 years ago......for one meal I had 2 beers a small steak and salad it was over $100 for meal that would be $25 here. Many costs though struck me as surprisingly similar.

If you decide DFW is a better deal financially then you have to decide how much you like 5 weeks vacation, subsidized daycare and the like. You won't find those things here.

Some combination of your National Insurance Contribution, Income taxes and heavy taxes on oil and gas covers your healthcare in Norway in no way is it free.

Best of luck.
texas should have free healthcare from all that oil money

Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 178,804 times
how can you leave beautiful Norway to come to this sweathole?

Old 07-24-2017, 04:48 AM

213 posts, read 183,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
how can you leave beautiful Norway to come to this sweathole?
You take a picture that you look at when you want to

And Norway is beatiful - on postcards. And probably if you do a week's vacation targeting the highlights. We live next to a fjord, and yes it's nice to see the water. But we also have 4 seasons, and no postcard pics are from anything else than summer days in July, or perfect-snowy winter in February. Never a picture of grey November, or rainy-slushy roads of a mild December day, or the brown landscape as the snow melts.

For us, raising 3 kids is our out-most priority, and that includes having a happy home closer to family. It simply comes down to your priorities in life. If hiking/outdoorsy stuff is your thing, then it makes sense to prioritize that. We do that so rarely that we can travel for those activities, and rather see family more frequently.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwbenn View Post
Many interesting posts.

One thing to remember is that you would be leaving a very small nation and moving to a large and diverse metropolitan city. More people live in greater Dallas than in the entire nation of Norway. You'd have less ready access to activities like snow skiing, hiking, etc. here, but you would gain all that major cities have to offer - great hospitals, universities, restaurants, music venues, etc. There's also an airport with daily departing flights to points across the US, Europe, Asia and the Mideast. As for economics, I think the GDP of Dallas/Fort Worth is likely greater than of Norway, and the economy here is certainly much more diverse and dynamic.

Best wishes with your decision.

Yes, it is definitely a change to move from a smaller town to a metropolitan city. We are thinking DFW area is good as a starting point, with a rental house for a year, and then buy a house where we see it fits with work, how we like area, etc. I'm not dependent on the outdoor activities to be as available as here, but I also don't care too much about restaurants, music venues, etc. I do like health care to be available (duh), but other then that we'd prioritize a children friendly community/neighborhood, good schools, and not much time lost in commuting. It may be that we settle in a smaller town around the DFW area, but we'd have to spend more time in the area to do that evaluation.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
You take a picture that you look at when you want to

And Norway is beatiful - on postcards. And probably if you do a week's vacation targeting the highlights. We live next to a fjord, and yes it's nice to see the water. But we also have 4 seasons, and no postcard pics are from anything else than summer days in July, or perfect-snowy winter in February. Never a picture of grey November, or rainy-slushy roads of a mild December day, or the brown landscape as the snow melts.

For us, raising 3 kids is our out-most priority, and that includes having a happy home closer to family. It simply comes down to your priorities in life. If hiking/outdoorsy stuff is your thing, then it makes sense to prioritize that. We do that so rarely that we can travel for those activities, and rather see family more frequently.
However, don't underestimate the effect of scenery on your well being. I don't go hiking much but when I go to work everyday, I am able to look at beautiful mountain, tree, scenery and it makes me happy. I was very miserable commuting in Dallas.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:01 PM

True, that does make for a more peaceful drive. And I personally like being close to the ocean, so I miss that whenever we travel in TX. So, pros and cons!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:15 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Regarding mountains I found just the opposite. My mind and eyes get use to seeing them so the enjoyment of their view declines over time in them. Offset that with road issues that can come with mountains as I saw when living in them a few years, and the effect on me is I like them for a change of pace but honestly driving don't find looking at scenery or mountains a safe way to drive so I don't. What impacts me daily is the cost of living, the indoors of my home which I see more than the scenery outside.

I recall trips to New England each fall when living in Northern NJ. The first day or so the bright beautiful colors were just incredible to see but in short time my eyes and mind were use to seeing it and the effect diminished significantly. I find change is what I enjoy seeing things on vacation which as a retired person can be a lot of my time. Anything I live in becomes routine and boring to me.

I'm not a earth worshipper, I focus on people and enjoy those interactions more than viewing scenery. Its good we are all different I suppose to the "perfect" place doesnt get too crowde

Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Regarding mountains I found just the opposite. My mind and eyes get use to seeing them so the enjoyment of their view declines over time in them. Offset that with road issues that can come with mountains as I saw when living in them a few years, and the effect on me is I like them for a change of pace but honestly driving don't find looking at scenery or mountains a safe way to drive so I don't. What impacts me daily is the cost of living, the indoors of my home which I see more than the scenery outside.

I recall trips to New England each fall when living in Northern NJ. The first day or so the bright beautiful colors were just incredible to see but in short time my eyes and mind were use to seeing it and the effect diminished significantly. I find change is what I enjoy seeing things on vacation which as a retired person can be a lot of my time. Anything I live in becomes routine and boring to me.

I'm not a earth worshipper, I focus on people and enjoy those interactions more than viewing scenery. Its good we are all different I suppose to the "perfect" place doesnt get too crowde
I've lived in places in Europe that were achingly beautiful. I never lost the urge to walk slower or even stand still and drink in my surroundings. I miss living somewhere pretty. Dallas is god-awful ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas