Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 2,464,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A lot of American kids don't do that either, but their parents sure blow up their professors' phones!

FWIW, I resent the assumption that because I'm white and was born and raised in the United States, I partied my way through college and never hit the books. That seems to be what a lot of Asian people are implying when they talk about white college kids.

Sure, some white kids partied their way through school. I went to enough college parties, though, to see that we definitely weren't the only ones there. One of the only Indian girls I knew in college became an actual bona fide stripper for pocket money and ended up dropping out. Exception to the rule, I'm sure, but it happened.
Lots of assumptions, and stereotypes in this world, from Asians, whites, and other groups. I can't speak for most places but at least as a generalization for those two groups seem to have the assumption that if somebody got somewhere or did something it was because of some unfair advantage. There seem to be quite a few Asians that would like to exploit those advantages, and quite a number of whites that seem to think that studying, working hard, and having a good work ethic are unfair advantages. For many whites also in the USA, if somebody didn't get somewhere or had some run of bad luck it was that person's fault.

I remember a number of years ago when I was working in California, a white co-worker was complaining about the standards being raised for schools in the UC system (University of California); I believe he was concerned about his grandkids. I made a comment that it should be motivation to work harder and that I got accepted to Berkeley because of my SAT scores and obtaining National Merit Semi-Finalist status, etc. His response was that I got in because I was "Chinese". I'm not "Chinese", but I guess he must have thought my parents ran a laundromat or a restaurant. I really didn't feel like continuing the conversation with him, so I just left it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Lots of assumptions, and stereotypes in this world, from Asians, whites, and other groups. I can't speak for most places but at least as a generalization for those two groups seem to have the assumption that if somebody got somewhere or did something it was because of some unfair advantage. There seem to be quite a few Asians that would like to exploit those advantages, and quite a number of whites that seem to think that studying, working hard, and having a good work ethic are unfair advantages. For many whites also in the USA, if somebody didn't get somewhere or had some run of bad luck it was that person's fault.

I remember a number of years ago when I was working in California, a white co-worker was complaining about the standards being raised for schools in the UC system (University of California); I believe he was concerned about his grandkids. I made a comment that it should be motivation to work harder and that I got accepted to Berkeley because of my SAT scores and obtaining National Merit Semi-Finalist status, etc. His response was that I got in because I was "Chinese". I'm not "Chinese", but I guess he must have thought my parents ran a laundromat or a restaurant. I really didn't feel like continuing the conversation with him, so I just left it at that.
I get plenty of negative stereotyping from gentiles who assume I'm good with money (I'm so-so), that I'm a tightwad (I prefer "frugal" and I've met gentiles way more stingy than me), and other (mostly sexual) stereotypes about us that I won't share here but that are pretty widespread.

So...I get those from gentiles of all races, and then I get the "white privilege" talk from people of color. They have a point and I acknowledge my own privilege, but I don't like having everything I've ever worked for to be invalidated by the "privilege" argument. I did actually have to work for what I have, though I acknowledge I'd have had to work harder if I wasn't white.

Due to the nature of my industry I meet a lot of south Asians and the negative stereotypes they have about Americans in general are pretty staggering...so much so that it makes me wonder why they even came here.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,182,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryTX View Post
Stanford is largely Asian and Indian. A student in their MBA program told me, semi-jokingly, that those "groups" are not engaged in drunk frat parties or campus rowdiness. They don't challenge grades or rebel against professors.

Stanford loves them....
In fact only 22% of Stanford’s undergrad students are Asian, that includes not only Asian Americans, Indian Americans etc but international Asian students as well. If you consider California’s Asian demographics and their high academic results, it’s not a high percentage. In graduate programs, probably there are more Asians but only because more Asians are interested in higher education and are qualified to do so.

If Stanford was admitting them out of love, they would have twice as many Asians as they reject good number of highly accomplished Asian applicants.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
In fact only 22% of Stanford’s undergrad students are Asian, that includes not only Asian Americans, Indian Americans etc but international Asian students as well. If you consider California’s Asian financial demographics and their high academic results, it’s not a high percentage. In graduate programs, probably there are more Asians but only because more Asians are interested in higher education and are qualified to do so.
In all seriousness...how is this not racist? The implication is that because "more" Asians are "interested and qualified," that means that fewer people of other ethnicities are...again, the implication being that Asians are smarter and more studious.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
In all seriousness...how is this not racist? The implication is that because "more" Asians are "interested and qualified," that means that fewer people of other ethnicities are...again, the implication being that Asians are smarter and more studious.
In my opinion on average, all races are pretty even in capabilities as we are all human, success results are just about circumstances and hard work. My comment was merely reflecting statistics of undergrad applicants confirming their ability to handle academics. I didn’t say they are any smarter or studious than any other race. Idea of racial superiority or inferiority is nothing but stupidity.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM

I’m only comparing different groups of college applicants. It doesn’t matter they are self selected or god given.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 AM

19,870 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Playing devil's advocate for a second.

Statement - Blacks have straighter femur bones than whites.
A). That statement is racial for certain.
B). Some would consider that statement racist.
C). That statement is also true. As stated it's not racist in the primary sense of the word and it's certainly not bigoted.

Statement - On average Asian Americans have higher IQs than white Americans, (I'll stipulate this one is little less inarguable that the first statement). However, A). - B). and C). still apply quite well. And there are veritable mountains of academic quality data out there that make this claim a fact.

Between test scores, academic positions held, research seats held etc. and given their relatively small numbers within the population Asians seem to be smarter and more studious than other groups.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Playing devil's advocate for a second.

Statement - Blacks have straighter femur bones than whites.
A). That statement is racial for certain.
B). Some would consider that statement racist.
C). That statement is also true. As stated it's not racist in the primary sense of the word and it's certainly not bigoted.

Statement - On average Asian Americans have higher IQs than white Americans, (I'll stipulate this one is little less inarguable that the first statement). However, A). - B). and C). still apply quite well. And there are veritable mountains of academic quality data out there that make this claim a fact.

Between test scores, academic positions held, research seats held etc. and given their relatively small numbers within the population Asians seem to be smarter and more studious than other groups.
And again I will raise the point that south Asians in America are a self-selecting group and the illiterate ones, the school dropouts, etc. do not qualify for work-based visas. You're basically comparing the top echelon of a very motivated group of people to Americans as a whole. It's not an apt comparison.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
And again I will raise the point that south Asians in America are a self-selecting group and the illiterate ones, the school dropouts, etc. do not qualify for work-based visas. You're basically comparing the top echelon of a very motivated group of people to Americans as a whole. It's not an apt comparison.
So? Are we going to punish them for working hard and doing well? Ones doing well get no financial aid but shouldn’t get double punishment by racial quota. By the way probably a good percentage comes on family immigration and asylum visas etc but yeah you are right that most are cream of the Asian crop. Good for our country to tap these resources. Why would we want them working for China or India?

Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM

19,870 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
I wrote Asian Americans.

Further, the East Asian average IQ result is about 106. The average white person's IQ result the world over is about 100. This is from millions and millions of test not a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas