Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM

27 posts, read 36,278 times

Advertisements

Living in Chicago, we haven't encountered any issues due to racism/discrimination. Mind you, aside from our skin tone, you would never recognize that we are Muslim (born and raised in Illinois).

Having said that, we are moving to Frisco (Hollyhock) which borders Prosper, TX. From what I understand, Texas is a Red State so I'm not quite sure attitude is in general towards Muslims in the Frisco&Prosper area?

Thanks,

Last edited by Acntx; 10-01-2017 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Removed specific reference to "Caucasians" which has derailed the entire thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Honestly...most people here either don't care...and if they do, they're almost always too polite to say anything about it to you. You'll be fine.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
You'll be fine in the DFW Metro as mentioned above. However, the state gov't level is whole different story. If you can tune out the Christo-fascism, you'll be fine. Do some research on dominion theology and please register to vote!

Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 50,649 times
You'll be fine! Chicago has some of the best halal food I've ever tried though, so you'll be missing that.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:23 PM

130 posts, read 153,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara212 View Post
You'll be fine! Chicago has some of the best halal food I've ever tried though, so you'll be missing that.
Definitely, and no kebabs & paratha places that are 24/7... unlike Devon Street

Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts_123 View Post
Living in Chicago, we haven't encountered any issues due to racism/discrimination. Mind you, aside from our skin tone, you would never recognize that we are Muslim (born and raised in Illinois).

Having said that, we are moving to Frisco (Hollyhock) which borders Prosper, TX. From what I understand, Texas is a Red State so I'm not quite sure attitude is in general towards Muslims in the Frisco&Prosper area?

Thanks,
Anyways, DFW isn't any diffrent from Chicago in tolerance, of course occasional wackos are everywhere.

In Frisco, Plano, Richardson, Allen areas women walk around in ethnic clothing and head coverings, no body cares. My kids grew up in Plano schools with muslim, hindu, shintu, buddhists, jews, mormons etc and never picked friends on basis of race or religion. Younger generations are more race/religion blind than older ones because they have more exposure compared to their parent's and grand parents.

Last edited by Acntx; 10-01-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 05:57 AM

21 posts, read 35,903 times
OP, you will be fine. I heard from one of my friends that his Muslim friends are planning to move to Dallas because of the large number of muslims and mosques here.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts_123 View Post

Thanks,
Dallas-Fort Worth metro is home to the 4th largest Muslim population in the US, and my guess is one of the fastest growing Muslim populations. There are quite a few mosques in the northern suburbs and I know at least one Frisco high school has an all-faiths prayer room that Muslim students use so they aren't leaving school several times a day to pray. My office in north Plano also has a prayer room that is heavily utilized.

Additionally, in Collin County (Frisco is split between two counties and I don't know the stats for Denton Co), half the residents were not born in Texas and a quarter weren't even born in the US. It's an area that votes conservatively but is demographically very diverse. It's not uncommon to hear a dozen languages as you walk through Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

So overall, I wouldn't be too concerned about your move. That said, you're unfortunately still likely to encounter anti-Islam sentiments whether in the local news or - hopefully not - personally. Irving is a suburb whose large Muslim population gets politicized a lot and has a very anti-Islam mayor despite her constituents being the largest Muslim population in North Texas....she's classic Fox News hysteria anti-Islam. The senior pastor at 1st Baptist Dallas is another obnoxious hate-spewing a-hole who is extremely anti-Islam and not quiet about it.....so I don't want to paint a picture that is all "sunshine and bunnies" about the attitudes toward Muslims in DFW, but I do think you're more likely to encounter anti-Muslim bias in the news than in your personal daily life.

Last edited by Acntx; 10-01-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
TC is right, like any other place we do have folks who earn fame, money and power by being divisive and spreading hate.

Some skeptic souls consider every white rich racist, every black a thug, every Hispanic illegal rapist, every Muslim sharia law Scholar/ nuclear bomb expert, every Hindu grew up without a toilet, every Mormon is polygamist, every Asian is a national Merit Scholar doing advance calculus or owns a nail salon etc etc. However, most folks are nice and mind their own business. If you are good to them, they'll be good to you.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
TC is right, like any other place we do have folks who earn fame, money and power by being divisive and spreading hate.

Some skeptic souls consider every white rich racist, every black a thug, every Hispanic illegal rapist, every Muslim sharia law Scholar/ nuclear bomb expert, every Hindu grew up without a toilet, every Mormon is polygamist, every Asian is a national Merit Scholar doing advance calculus or owns a nail salon etc etc. However, most folks are nice and mind their own business. If you are good to them, they'll be good to you.
Yup.

Op, you'll be fine.

[mod cut]

I live in a very conservative town (W Plano) and I will tell you that in the near 30 years that I've lived here, I've gotten a lot less crap about being brown or about being gay and I did living in Austin (5 years) or in California (4 years - this one was the worst).

Last edited by Acntx; 10-01-2017 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas