Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,747 times

Advertisements

Hello! Long time lurker. Read through a lot of posts and comments but couldn't find just what I was looking for that wasn't possibly outdated.

Situation
I work in Richardson near UTD south of Bush and west of 75. Wife works in Irving near 114 and O'Connor. I'm okay with making a longer drive (with reason of course) so we are thinking west of DNT for sure.

My real question - what should be the outer (western) limit of our search area that caps the commute to work near UTD at 40-45 minutes. Assume leave for work 6:30 to 6:45 each morning and leaving work no later than 4:15. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Aim for the Carrollton/Valley Ranch/ Las Colinas/Coppell area, depending on price point. Anything further West will be a nightmare.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 PM

188 posts, read 230,878 times
You didn't mention price/amenities/after-work life/etc.... I would recommend several neighborhoods that *easily* feed DNT/George Bush. Suggested areas: Frankford & DNT, Kelly/Trinity Mills/George Bush. The drive to Irving @114 is *around* 30 min from there. Likewise heading to UTD will be 25-30 min at those times. You'll find that there are very different price-points in those areas. I personally prefer the DNT corridor but have family in the other area and if you asked them they love it.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 AM

380 posts, read 368,136 times
There are some nice areas of Farmers Branch that might work for you. I have family there that commute to Irving and they say it's an easy drive.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the replies! Sorry about leaving some of the details out. Cost of house would max out somewhere around around 330k. Other factors I'd love to hear opinions but are not as critical. Just wondering what the commute is like if I drive east (against traffic?) in the morning to UTD and west back home. How far west could I move and keep the drive under 45 minutes during rush hours assuming wherever that is would still be good for my wife at 114 in Irving.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:16 PM

92 posts, read 156,844 times
I think that you are around 45 minutes between 114/O'Connor and UTD so pretty much anywhere in between that is convenient to Bush or 635 would work. Google maps shows the distance between is around 22 miles via Bush toll road or 20 miles via DNT/635.

I think you could be in Coppell or Las Colinas to the west and be 45' from UTD on most days. Maybe a bit longer if there is a traffic incident on Bush.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaVol View Post
I think that you are around 45 minutes between 114/O'Connor and UTD so pretty much anywhere in between that is convenient to Bush or 635 would work. Google maps shows the distance between is around 22 miles via Bush toll road or 20 miles via DNT/635.

I think you could be in Coppell or Las Colinas to the west and be 45' from UTD on most days. Maybe a bit longer if there is a traffic incident on Bush.
OP's budget most likely rules out Coppell.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:45 PM

92 posts, read 156,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
OP's budget most likely rules out Coppell.
Maybe -- but he just asked how far west he could go and not be out of the 45' range from UTD. I think Coppell is the farthest west he could go and make it in 45'. I was not suggesting either Coppell or Las Colinas - just looking on a map - those would be the western boundaries at 45'

Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks again everyone. It's good to see the responses lining up with what I thought in my head. I *wish* I could go slightly further west into pockets of Grapevine but that does appear to be a bit too far.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-28-2017, 05:18 PM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
In general, I've found that West to East is much easier than the other way around in the mornings on Bush. You may be able to live a little further out if you'd be willing to take part of your commute on the proposed Cotton Belt rail line which currently has a planned stop at UTD. It's a gamble, considering you can't know how long that commute would take, as I don't think the rail line is projected to be finished until 2022 and they are still thinking about doing away with some of the proposed stations (from what I've heard, UTD is NOT amongst those being proposed to eliminate and I can't imagine it would be.) That said, if you decided on an area that was at your "max" commute that offered you more for your money, it could be much faster in the near future - that is, if you are willing to take public transit !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas